Anti Islam converence lists Abbot (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
Anti-Islam conference lists Abbott

By SIMON BENSON State Political Reporter

March 9, 2005

FEDERAL Health Minister Tony Abbott has been listed to appear as the main speaker at an anti-Islamic Christian conference in May.

The conference's theme is how Islam is destroying Australia's Christian values.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that the minister, who is pushing a Christian-backed anti-abortion agenda, is listed as the keynote speaker at the fundamentalist gathering. His topics are to include Christian values and abortion.

The Annual Festival of Light Conference is a coalition of Christian groups from around the country convened by NSW Upper House MP the Reverend Fred Nile.

While Mr Abbott is yet to officially confirm his attendance, he is being promoted in advertising literature. The promotional brochure, which was posted out inside issues of the newsletter Family News, warned that only Christians were allowed to attend the conference "because of the subject matter".

"The conference, because of the subject matter, is restricted to Christians who attend a Christian church," said the brochure, signed by Mr Nile.

"All Christians are welcome who wish to be informed about the Daniel Scot v Islam court case, Islam, Humanism and Paganism, which are seeking to undermine our Christian heritage.

"We will also examine our relationship to Israel as God's chosen people."

NSW Democrats MP Arthur Chesterfield Evans said it showed poor lack of judgment by the minister.

"There should be a separation of church and state," said Mr Chesterfield Evans. "This should be the basis of a modern secular state.

"[Mr Abbott] should represent Australians without fear or favour . . . it is worrying he is attending a forum which would appear to be Christian fundamentalism attacking other religions."

Organisers of the Festival of Light said Mr Abbott had not confirmed his availability but had made a commitment to try to attend.

Mr Abbott, who was recently reunited with his son, whom he gave up for adoption when Mr Abbot was 19, is listed as the guest speaker at the May 28 conference at the Southern Cross Bible College at Chester Hill.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1258&storyid=2781520

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
hmmm....well, from my understanding, islam means peace.
I suppose Abbot, being from the liberal party, would see peace as a means of destroying his party values.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Who the fuck does that motherfucking poof think he is....ISLAM destroying Australian society?, thats the biggest load of shit i heard, his fucken position in parliament should be dismissed for this sort of fucking outrage.

Abbeygale

HSC
So, what is the actual point of a conference like that? Only open to church going Christians?
I'm sort of picturing a room full of men in suits talking for days and eventually reaching the conclusion that Islam is bad and Jesus is cool.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
grag is also making a speech at the conference, arguing that a foetus at two months has more of a soul than an arab.

grag cant wait for the afterparty, either. fred nile on soda bulbs is one of the more hilarious sights in politics

Riewe

HSC
As quite a semi-traditionalist Christian, i understand Mr Abbott's stance on issues, so therefore i can somewhat stand him. But i also have no idea what this conference is going to achieve, as they will be preaching to the converted. Much like an anti-Howard forum only open to Howard haters. These type of events are useless, unless you get mutliple sides involved

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
grag balbrady said:
grag is also making a speech at the conference, arguing that a foetus at two months has more of a soul than an arab.

grag cant wait for the afterparty, either. fred nile on soda bulbs is one of the more hilarious sights in politics
lmao
<3 grag

Kulazzi

HSC
this should not go forward, it's racism. I thought we were supposed to be a very multicultural society with people from diverse backgrounds unified in peace. This is just going to create more hate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wow good work we've read an article posted up by some communist wank and we're all going to condem this guy to hell.
Is it possible that he's going to talk about religious tolerance at this conference? you guys don't know, you just hate christians you intollerant jerks.
I'm atheist and i dun like christians handing me useless crap but u guys really do go too far.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Kulazzi said:
I thought we were supposed to be a very multicultural society with people from diverse backgrounds unified in peace.
well i'm sorry to say but you really are living in a fantasy land if you think that's the case.

Kulazzi

HSC
BreaKing said:
well i'm sorry to say but you really are living in a fantasy land if you think that's the case.
I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:

NTB said:
wow good work we've read an article posted up by some communist wank and we're all going to condem this guy to hell.
Is it possible that he's going to talk about religious tolerance at this conference? you guys don't know, you just hate christians you intollerant jerks.
I'm atheist and i dun like christians handing me useless crap but u guys really do go too far.
No. I don't hate christians, I do have christians friends. You know, it's just that this is wrong. I mean, if there was Sheikh holding a conference on how christianity was destroying the society then I'd still go against that. It is something called racism.

No harm was intended

nick_h

never trust the telegraph...i thought people knew that!

Abbott won't speak at conference

09mar05

HEALTH Minister Tony Abbott would not address an anti-Islamic conference, his office said today.

Brochures promoting the anti-Islamic Christian event, called the Annual Festival of Light Conference, claimed Mr Abbott would address the meeting about Christian values and abortion, today's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported.

However, Mr Abbott never intended to speak at the event.

"He has another engagement, he was never going to be speaking there," a spokeswoman for Mr Abbott said.

The Festival of Light Conference is organised by a coalition of Christian groups from around the country and convened by the Reverend Fred Nile, who has warned only Christians are allowed "because of the subject matter".

Mr Nile said Mr Abbott had been invited late last year to talk at the conference on the topic Christian values and abortion.

The health minister had never confirmed his availability, Mr Nile said.

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12489915^1702,00.html

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Maybe you don't Kulazzi but there's a fair bit of anti-christian shit around here lately. That's why people are targeting abbott so much, it's because he's christian, it's fairly weak... if someone was arab and in parliament no one would be carrying on about his beliefs without because called racist.

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Maybe you don't Kulazzi but there's a fair bit of anti-christian shit around here lately. That's why people are targeting abbott so much, it's because he's christian, it's fairly weak... if someone was arab and in parliament no one would be carrying on about his beliefs without because called racist.
I'm not talking about abbott, I'm talking about the conference in general. The theme. I did not say that abbott was racist, I was saying that the whole conference thing is racism

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
yes... and didn't say u did lol
NTB said:
I think you were hence the argument between us and the arab example as well, and as a matter of fact, I'm not arab :rolleyes:

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
i believe arab woman should be forced to remove their head garments as they could a) be hiding weapons of masss destruction and b) be used as disguises when holding up banks and agricultural factories (to steal the manure to make bombs to blow up iconic landmarks such as the sydney harbour bridge and merewether surf house)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)