Another HSC mark moderation question (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yeah, I get that, but it just seems a bit absurd to me how trials can be worth a maximum of 30%, despite being the best indicator for HSC assessment marks. as for suggesting me to be placed above in that scenario, it would be pretty redundant for the other assessment, but it would still make sense to keep the ranks similar but make the gaps significantly less? Wouldn't that be beneficial for everyone in the actual HSC?
The whole point of the subject is not intended to revolve around a single theory exam. The external HSC exam is only ONE way to assess syllabus outcomes. The subject is supposed to teach and assess a diverse range of skills that are applicable to uni/workplace etc, not just how to answer questions in an exam.

You already keep your HSC external exam mark, so if that is your strong point then you‘re already covered on 50% of your marks. Trying to add more than another 15% (half of 30%) from internal trial exams would create even more unfair bias against students who have strong skills in other areas (e.g. practical lab skills). This is essentially the motivation behind the cap of the weighting of trial exams.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This makes the HSC fairer than some secondary education systems in other countries - because it assesses students on multiple occasions and in different areas of a subject (including theoretical and practical areas).

Jojofelyx

HSC
The whole point of the subject is not intended to revolve around a single theory exam. The external HSC exam is only ONE way to assess syllabus outcomes. The subject is supposed to teach and assess a diverse range of skills that are applicable to uni/workplace etc, not just how to answer questions in an exam.

You already keep your HSC external exam mark, so if that is your strong point then you‘re already covered on 50% of your marks. Trying to add more than another 15% (half of 30%) from internal trial exams would create even more unfair bias against students who have strong skills in other areas (e.g. practical lab skills). This is essentially the motivation behind the cap of the weighting of trial exams.
Personally, I really dislike it. Our school now puts practicals and depth studies with insane weightings, so sometimes unfortunate circumstances in a practical or a misinterpretation of the marking criteria in a depth study can leave you pretty much hopeless against everyone. Idk :(

quickoats

HSC
Personally, I really dislike it. Our school now puts practicals and depth studies with insane weightings, so sometimes unfortunate circumstances in a practical or a misinterpretation of the marking criteria in a depth study can leave you pretty much hopeless against everyone. Idk :(
I've never heard of trials being more than 30%?
You'll love uni if 60-70% weighting final exams are your thing haha

Jojofelyx

HSC
I had another question. With schools that have over 100 students do they submit decimal marks to split internal ranks?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I had another question. With schools that have over 100 students do they submit decimal marks to split internal ranks?
Decimal places would naturally exist when you apply weightings to percentages in a single assessment. I’m pretty sure schools submit marks with decimal places, though it is not clear how many decimal places.

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
Hey! So for internals, my final rank is first for a few subjects. Although I'm completely losing motivation to study for HSC. I've heard that whoever is first internally is given whatever the highest external mark is for that subject in your school. Is this true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)