Another actuarial query =/ (1 Viewer)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Oh sorry. I was just curious >.<

BTW, do you know anything about ISM (Information + System mangement)???
Not a popular major from what I recall. I'm not saying its bad but not many people do it. Probably because most students would just go for a straigh comp science or engineering degree instead.

shinn

HSC
I'm currently doing maths/stats with actuarial studies. Although its a 4 year degree (comm/sci), I reckon its a pretty good combo as you learn more abstractly and gain technical skills out of it (from computing electives). Since its a degree double, you will be given an opportunity to get PART II exemptions as opposed to someone who is doing a straight commerce degree (unless they are co-op).

I'm not sure if its true but I heard that the second year/ third year higher maths subjects' scaling make it easy to attain HD's (if not then D's) so it can be sort of a WAM booster.

Finance: do this as a major if you want the easy way out.

Accounting: this major is a lot more theory based than finance/ actl. A lot of people find first year accounting courses dull. But as mentioned above, it may improve your employability (back-up).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing maths/stats with actuarial studies. Although its a 4 year degree (comm/sci), I reckon its a pretty good combo as you learn more abstractly and gain technical skills out of it (from computing electives). Since its a degree double, you will be given an opportunity to get PART II exemptions as opposed to someone who is doing a straight commerce degree (unless they are co-op).

I'm not sure if its true but I heard that the second year/ third year higher maths subjects' scaling make it easy to attain HD's (if not then D's) so it can be sort of a WAM booster.

Finance: do this as a major if you want the easy way out.

Accounting: this major is a lot more theory based than finance/ actl. A lot of people find first year accounting courses dull. But as mentioned above, it may improve your employability (back-up).
o_O!!!! You are doing Maths + Actuarial? That's AWESOME! Can I perhaps PM you about some questions? Because I really want to do Maths + Actuarial as well =)

cyl123

HSC
This is true but there is a reason why higher scales better....

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
studentleader said:
personally am doing computer science as opposed to a major in Quant Finance/Economics because of how crap the units are at UWA - I'd put a fair bit of money saying there is more quants with a life sciences PhD than a Finance/Economics PhD.
i would put a fair bit of money saying that many commerce/business/economics students just want to get fuck out of uni and into the work force. and in addition, don't want to waste time getting a pHD. And in saying that, it is also highly likely that a Science graduate is not as employable as a Business student majoring in a mainstream major such as accounting, finance or economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)