Ancient history speeches (1 Viewer)

Croompets

HSC
I have an ancient assessment speech on Agrippina dealing with her influence on Nero. I'm all set on the information, just want to know if anyone has some good tips for ancient history speeches in general or to do with the topic
e.g. level of detail or the manner the speech is presented

anyway it could just be that ancient speeches are much like your run of the mill speech but I don't know so that is why i'm asking

thanks

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Ancient speeches are very much run of the mill speeches.

Though there are a few things you have to consider when composing and presenting your speech. Keep it similar in structure to that of an essay, though incorporate the typical speech features; such as greetings, rhetorical questions, tonal changes, etc. Be careful not to get too caught up in the facts though, keep sentences short and to the point. Keep in mind of the flow and structure of your speech, as it will make it more engaging to the audience whilst still encompassing all the required information for the speech.

Best to consult your teacher and / or marking rubric in terms of your final decisions on how to compose and present this speech. Remember to incorporate your Historiography, and make sure you state your sources in your speech for example: 'J. Smith stated that Agrippina was an awesome person'. As using a similar referencing formatting such as footnotes or endnotes as you would in an essay would not be sufficient for this assessment task.

Good Luck with your essay, remember keep it concise and to the point otherwise the audience will lose track and become disengaged with the information you are presenting!

jessxxr

HSC
i had to do an ancient history speech last year, and the one thing that made me lose a mark was not enough eye contact -_- lol but i don't know if your teacher is focussed on eye contact/presentation etc etc so just ask, but make sure you learn it cause you don't wanna end up feeling disappointed in losing a mark with something so trivial if everything else is great haha gooood luck :D

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a teacher who had to mark speeches for many years (I have removed them from my assessment schedule now and replaced them with in in class ICT task) the things that I would look for, besides content of course, would be use of sources - not just historians but also archaeological if relevant, whether or not the presenter actually knew their speech or whether they simply read it and overall eye contact and general engaging with the audience, so if the other students were obviously bored or if I was then i would be giving a lower mark than with someone who actually made an attempt to engage the audience.

Engaging with the audience is a biggy with speeches as that is the point of a speech - to get a verbal message across to those who are listening so if they aren't engaged then you have lost the audience and should be penalised. By engaged - are they listening or lying on their desks, are they doodling or looking at you, are they laughing at you occasional humour etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)