Anbody else in love with the personality they're studying? (1 Viewer)

cayte

Was it Darius or Xerxes that chopped the rich man's son in half because he wanted him to be exempt from military service? THAT was a funny story. I remember having a laughing fit in my class when I read that bit... Psycho Persians. I loved that course.

Edit: Just checked, was Xerxes. Just after he punished that wretched river as a matter of fact...

Last edited:

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by cayte
Was it Darius or Xerxes that chopped the rich man's son in half because he wanted him to be exempt from military service? THAT was a funny story. I remember having a laughing fit in my class when I read that bit... Psycho Persians. I loved that course.
lets hear the story

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by cayte
That was Xerxes, cutting the son in half and having the army march between the two halves of the corpse. Lovely.

cayte

WELL, you kinda had to be there ;), but:

Xerxes was on the march to Greece (you know, the whole expansion of the empire thing) and was naturally dropping in on all the rich bastards along the way to gather funds and so forth. So he gets to Lydia, home of the stupidly wealthy Pythius the Lydian and his five sons. PtL gives generously to the cause and entertains X and his band of merry men (these Persians were big on their booze and women - Xerxes II ruled for all of 45 days, spending most of them drunk). Reportedly, all had such a grand time of it all that X, in his merriment, grants PtL one wish, anything he desires (drunk with power, X thouht he was a genie). PtL, an old man in a time of great warfare with five agile young things serving in the army fears all his sons will be killed and requests of X an exemption for his eldest and most loved son. Well, X does his block and, in a typical display of irrationality and power-broking, basically says, fuck you for thinking you can ask for that when I am risking my life and those of my friends and family. You can have your life, your four younger sons and your property, but for your impudence, for not fearing my wrath, your eldest son "to whom thou clingest above the rest", I will chop in half, lie on either side of the road outside your home and march my army between his bloody carcass. So there!

And he did. Well, he got some lackey to carry out the chopping duties (have you seen the gold those Persian kings wore when going into battle? Those guys were not dressed for people chopping), but that's the general gist of it. Like I said, you kinda had to be there...:p

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Xerxes...

I'm doing Xerxes...but my version of the story wasn't nearly as interesting. In fact, by the end of the topic, I hated him. BORING LOONY BASTARD. I'm doing Ancient History by Distance Education though and the stuff is such a borrrrrrrrrrre. Xerxes was my first topic of the HSC year and I'm still supposed to hand in 3 units of work from that topic...I'm trying to delay it as much as possible because he's SO BORING. Once I was past the war crap it was just kinda like...yeah whatever...then I had to do Greece...and had to study him all over again! ARGGGH. Still owe 3 Greek units also...hehe...but as long as my teacher doesn't ring my school complaining and I still get good marks in the assignments..all is cool..

Zhang San Feng

护花使者
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
haha we did Alexander and the guy is a champ....noone beats him!!

Alcoholic and crazy bastard who took the world :D
not to mention burn down persopolis to impress an athenian chick

i m doing agrippina younger...shes...interesting...cunning woman that ll do anything to get what she wants...ruthless and calculating, pretty cool ;)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Oh god, we havn't started on our personality yet, but our teacher is freakishly OBSESSED with Hatshepsut.

"You leave her alone! She's the best..." etc etc...

Oh and don't get me started on the "GOD", champion HSC examiner-type thingamie Gai Callender! Anyone using any of her books? According to our teacher, they are Bibles.

Go forth young prophets and preach the words of Gai Callender, build bridges across the void minds of non-ancient history people, seek the wisdoms found in the relics of the past, love Hatshepsut as she too doth loves thee. Uncle Sam wants you!

cayte

GAI CALLENDER!!! Far out, that's that woman's name. Are you doing Minoa? I'm sure we used a book of her's for that topic. Had a blue cover and in the appendices there were a couple of Homer excerpts and it's basically set out according to the topic's key points. Wow. Thought I'd never hear her mentioned ever again.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Oh yeah! Did Minoan Society earlier and am now doing New Kingdom Egypt. And guess what? Found a text book - "Eye of Horus" - on that time period by her too!

GAI CALLENDER IS EVERYWHERE!!

onlyone_jen

don't mind agrippina..
more interesting than ancient societies... so boring..
agrippina is way better and more interesting

Arnor

HSC
N/A
I hate Hatshepsut

stoopid usurping wh*(e

wats worse is im the only guy in my ancient class

1 guy vs like 2 dozens females

(sigh) well atleast im done with her for now...

damn trials in like 40 days :'(

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Originally posted by tina_goes_doo
Oh god, we havn't started on our personality yet, but our teacher is freakishly OBSESSED with Hatshepsut.

"You leave her alone! She's the best..." etc etc...

Oh and don't get me started on the "GOD", champion HSC examiner-type thingamie Gai Callender! Anyone using any of her books? According to our teacher, they are Bibles.

Go forth young prophets and preach the words of Gai Callender, build bridges across the void minds of non-ancient history people, seek the wisdoms found in the relics of the past, love Hatshepsut as she too doth loves thee. Uncle Sam wants you!
Lol, sounds exaactly lyk my teacher.. then again, i'm not complaining since it's probably part of the reason y the notes she gives us r so good ^_^

Ditto w/ gai callender too, actually, we talking about teh same person here?

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Originally posted by iyamahobbit
Lol, sounds exaactly lyk my teacher.. then again, i'm not complaining since it's probably part of the reason y the notes she gives us r so good ^_^

Ditto w/ gai callender too, actually, we talking about teh same person here?
Lol probably. Yeah our teacher gives really good notes too. Strangly enough, most of them were from the numerous Gae Callender lectures she had attended over the yrs. I'm starting to see a trend here...

Arnor

HSC
N/A
Hatshepsut is evil... do not submit to her...

yeah Gai Callender is a champion, i would so run up and hug her if i saw her

in a drag club full of glitter...no, seriously!
Originally posted by babeishnes
We did good old Hatty, she worked her way up to Pharaoh, she is a great insperation to half of my class because we did an election between Hatshepsut and Thutmose III it was great fun. We love you Hatty
i couldnt agree more! i love hatshepsut. *shivers* so dominating! *sighs* if only she was a he then we could really have somethin 2gether...

haldirs_wife

To all those who think Agrippina is some sort of 'slutbag' and 'whore'... i cant say i agree with you, she was strong and she used what she had to get what she wanted. I go to a girls school so i think the fact that she was so strong is a good thing and makes it interesting for all of us.

To quote my teacher (who has probably quoted someone else): Agrippina is the "last of the red hot mammas!" *rolls eyes* =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)