American Idol and Autralian Idol (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Do you guys know about this? In American Idol, When you vote, you don't have to pay. Therefore, EVERYONE - including Fans or someone who doesn't really cares - can vote. I mean for someone who is not really involved in this show, they give you the opportunity to vote anyway for free. So they at least are giving a judgement to represent the WHOLE of America. UNLIKE Australian Idol, You have to pay every time you call and thus making the decision extremely bia as it only reflect a certain "age" groups' taste.

By the way, there are 1 million people voted for Kelly Clarkson, compared to approx. 600 000 to Justin, the runners up.

Our very own idol winner in the future will probably going to get something like 1000 votes or something....

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
But all you're really doing by making people pay is reducing the amount of people who would call up...it's like doing a survey and asking 100 people instead of the whole population. I don't think it would be making THAT much difference...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
id like to vote, but there is no way im shelling out 55c each time (lol, call me a cheapskate if you like, but i dont have a job, so my funds are very limited)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
interesting

Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
But all you're really doing by making people pay is reducing the amount of people who would call up...it's like doing a survey and asking 100 people instead of the whole population. I don't think it would be making THAT much difference...
yeah to an extent, i'm just wondering if certain age groups would be more likely to vote because they have more money to waste.

and imagine the families and friends of these people? of course they will vote, but it will cost them a fortune

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
id like to vote, but there is no way im shelling out 55c each time (lol, call me a cheapskate if you like, but i dont have a job, so my funds are very limited)
sms?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Can you do a prank from a payphone?
Does that work?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hmm... i doubt it would work because you know how calls to homes don't exactly get connected... but if you're bored, why not try

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
They get connected for like a second...enough for a couple of words

Its kinda pointless if i try. I won't know if it works or not.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by iambored

yeah to an extent, i'm just wondering if certain age groups would be more likely to vote because they have more money to waste.
yeah like little 12 yr olds voting for the 'cute' guys who cant sing... psft.

Antisocial

In terms of actual cost, it really is negligible... I mean, 55c won't cause you to file for bankruptcy - plus the cost ensures that people won't vote multiple times unless they are really hardcore fans (in which case, they wouldn't have a gripe about dishing out extra dough).

I prefer it this way over American Idol's. :)

ssj_goku

Having a cost element in the voting actually provides more accuracy. Think about it, chances are that if you don't think an artists music is worth 50c, you won't pay $30 for it. Therefore, that vote really is useless in determining who could be the best "Idol". All making it free does is dilute the voting with repeat voting and people who really couldn't give a damn.

You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I don't understand how the American calls could be "free" anyway...surely they must at least be the amount of a local call? Otherwise, the show would have to somehow cover the cost of everyones phone calls, as well as the company they hire to take care of the vote counts...

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
what a load of rubbish!!!
idol is aimed at a specific market of an age bracket where cost means nothing. plus, you're not voting for the artists' music, it's for the artist themself, which is totally different.

as for repeat voting, it happens anyway, that's the way most fans vote. also, obviously if you're voting you could "give a damn"

btw, if you're paying $30 an album, you're getting ripped off
The point I'm making is that the comp seems to be about selecting an artist who'se going to sell, therefore there's no prob with voting for the artist as opposed to the funky rythms. Furthermore, the age bracket you were talking about probably are the ones who they're going to aim the album at, so aiming the voting at them isn't such a bad idea. For someone who does postmodernism you should look up marketability. Although I do agree with you about the albums being a rip off- so I don't buy them.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah like little 12 yr olds voting for the 'cute' guys who cant sing... psft.
and who have their new phones to waste money on
i agree

does the show many any monney out of the 55c vote?

ssj_goku

Typically for these sorts of shows they have an arrangement with the telephone company where they get a percentage of the revenue.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
and who have their new phones to waste money on
i agree

LOL yeah on their prepaid fones LOL

yeah they would get... sms are like 25c so they should get like at least 20c profit

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
they should let you vote on the website.

ie. create an account (that is tied to an email) then vote from that

this way it garruntees 1-2 vote per person

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
they should let you vote on the website.

ie. create an account (that is tied to an email) then vote from that

this way it garruntees 1-2 vote per person
yeah but how easy is it to generate like 35983398 different email addresses? i mean, if i were family of one of the contestants, thats what i would do - make a million and one email accounts and use that to vote

i mean how many web based email servers are there? hotmail, yahoo, excite, yourname, xoom (does this still exists), msn blah blah blah

i like the idea of sms and calls - which involve money, that way, ppl dont vote a million times becuase its free...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)