Am I The Only one that sucks at Mathematical Induction?? (1 Viewer)

Viper

HSC
Ok guys, i just wanted to know who out there struggles with 90% of the Proof by Mathematical Induction questions??

The division ones are uaually ok, but the addition are usually a bit of trouble....

What do you think?

Last edited:

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
Wat do you think of mathematical induction involving inequalities? i find that the hardest of the three..

Viper

HSC
Yeah, they are hard aswell.... To tell the truth, i had totally forgotten about them!

oh well.... I havent seen an inequality one in any past HSC's yet, so maybe they dont like asking them? Lets hope so!

Cheers

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
they asked an inequality math induction question in the cssa trial paper...

Viper

HSC
All i can say is that i hope that i dont get the CSSA trial paper.... Actually, i dont think i will, as i dont go to a catholic school....

My 3U trial is 29th August, so i have some time to study them anyways (i so wont)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
With inductions, just try to do as much as you can in it. For step one (the base case) where you just test for one value of n (usually n=1) this is easy marks pretty much. Then the harder part comes, proving it for n=k+1, given n=k is true. Write as much working out as you can for this if you can't get the full solution. And above all practise as many different types of induction questions (from past papers and textbooks) as you can. :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You can always get almost-full marks for induction if you get the majority of the process right.. and you remember the "induction statement" (remember to forget this as soon as you finish the HSC, 'cause it's not relevant in maths outside yr12).

Induction is pretty much a process, and you just have to practise getting it right.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah ineq are the hardest - i think asdding is the easiest!! just keep trying, and i spose in the end it doesnt matter if u lose just 1 mark, at least u get like 2 or 3

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Johnny G
I've been told that if you can learn Induction the 4 unit (ext 2)
way, you'll have very little problems
well 4u way is not that much different to the 3u way, its just that its 1000 times more difficult.:mad1:

N

ND

Yeh the process is exactly the same, but if you can do most 4u questions, you'll have no probs with 3u induction.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Well I laugh at you all because induction is the only thing i own at. Just don't mention the rest of the god damned course. Now Harmonic Motion ... I don't even remember learning that stuff ... probably asleep

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
there's a 4u way? and its different how? I think i should now that, but its all new to me!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Jumbo Cactuar
Well I laugh at you all because induction is the only thing i own at. Just don't mention the rest of the god damned course. Now Harmonic Motion ... I don't even remember learning that stuff ... probably asleep
u prolly got hypnotised....by a clock moving in SHM.:D

N

ND

Originally posted by Jumbo Cactuar
there's a 4u way? and its different how? I think i should now that, but its all new to me!
No there's no 4u way, it's the same.

stag_j

i do 4u, but i don't know of any special 4u way of doing induction...
anyone care to fill me in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)