• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Am I intelligent enough to be a medical student? (1 Viewer)

TuQuoi

HSC
I'd like to know if I have a chance at undergraduate or postgraduate, so I'm asking here. I am a mostly A student, but a B student in English. I'm in the top classes for English, Maths and Science, and in those classes, I'm around average. My school is ranked in the 70s for HSC.

Do I have a chance at applying for medicine, or would a medical student expected to have straight As. If you want more information about my academic ability, feel free to ask.

MisslittleDIY

HSC
N/A
I'm sure you have heard this several times but: Anything is possible if you put in the effort.

You are at a good starting point, being in the top classes. Since you are in year 10 why not try to apply for a selective school to attend in years 11-12? (Just a thought)

But as i said, as long at you put in the effort and you are passionate for it, it will be possible.

Remember this quote:
"Dreams aren't made, they're won". So instead of dreaming about it, worrying about it, hoping for it, believing you can't, wishing you put more effort in the past, focus on the present, set achievable goals, make a plan, and JUST DO IT! :)

Last edited:

TuQuoi

HSC
I'd like to know if I have a chance at undergraduate or postgraduate, so I'm asking here. I am a mostly A student, but a B student in English. I'm in the top classes for English, Maths and Science, and in those classes, I'm around average. My school is ranked in the 70s for HSC.

Do I have a chance at applying for medicine, or would a medical student expected to have straight As? If you want more information about my academic ability, feel free to ask.

iStudent

HSC
You have a chance for sure. Especially if you consider interstate options as well. I didn't have faith in my abilities either (especially when I was also in Yr 10 - I came like 20/30 for english in a school ranked 300+ lol).

Too early to tell whether you can get in or not (you don't know until you try)

blackbird_14

HSC
You can do anything you want to do- if you put your mind to it. If it's something you're really passionate about, then you'll want to put effort to get into medicine- regardless if you're the best of the crop or not.

TuQuoi

HSC
So what eventually brought you above the crowd? Did you study a lot in years 11-12?

iStudent

HSC
Hardwork is one thing. There's also the UMAT/interviews component. You can't really tell how you'll do in them until you actually do them (your school's academic results doesn't really reflect these at all).

Also, no - you don't have to be a "straight As" student to get into medicine. If you check out some of the entrance criteria for certain universities you'll find they don't all require USYD's 99.95 lol. It's much better than what you probably think! Although, you still need to have a solid ATAR (like at least 95, preferably 99+).

Schmeag

HSC
N/A

Do I have a chance at applying for medicine, or would a medical student expected to have straight As. If you want more information about my academic ability, feel free to ask.
Anyone should always hope to do as best as they can, so you shouldn't rest on your laurels. Be mindful that a medical student is not necessarily intelligent, so don't put them on too high a pedestal. Your main hurdle will be overcoming the entry requirements of each medical school, so I would suggest finding a list of Australian medical schools and taking note of the requirements (ie prerequisite courses, cut-offs for marks, things you need to do like the UMAT). Fill in knowledge gaps by going to Open Days or contacting the faculty directly. Look for other pathways (ie rural entry, special consideration) that you might be eligible for. Consider your Plan B (applying again, applying for postgraduate medicine...etc.). Those who have recent experience with HSC and entry into medical school would probably be able to give you specific details.

Most medical schools may take ATAR into account, alongside UMAT and/or interviews in varying degrees. While a good result in HSC might come from hard work and smart subject choice, performing well in the UMAT and interviews may be more related to emotional maturity and an aptitude for good reasoning (it can be practised). It might be helpful to improve yourself outside of the HSC if you have the time.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything! If it's something you're really passionate about, then you'll want to put effort to get into medicine- regardless if you're the best of the crop or not.
FIFY ;)

enoilgam

HSC
You have a chance for sure. Especially if you consider interstate options as well. I didn't have faith in my abilities either (especially when I was also in Yr 10 - I came like 20/30 for english in a school ranked 300+ lol).

Too early to tell whether you can get in or not (you don't know until you try)
Hardwork is one thing. There's also the UMAT/interviews component. You can't really tell how you'll do in them until you actually do them (your school's academic results doesn't really reflect these at all).

Also, no - you don't have to be a "straight As" student to get into medicine. If you check out some of the entrance criteria for certain universities you'll find they don't all require USYD's 99.95 lol. It's much better than what you probably think! Although, you still need to have a solid ATAR (like at least 95, preferably 99+).
I think this is the most realistic advice offered on the thread. At this point, being in year 10, it's probably too early to tell whether you are cut out for medicine. That being said, objectively assess your skill level to give yourself an idea of where you stand. Marks aren't always indicative of overall skill and aptitude, so you need to invest considerable thought in determining your capabilities. A good assessment of your skill level can give you a realistic grounding in terms of expectations which is really important in my view.

Regardless of your skill, the best thing you can do is to do your best and go for it. The worst thing you can do is become emotionally invested in the goal. Buying into all these bullshit platitudes "dream and you can achieve" will get you nowhere. Keep things objective and focus on developing your tangible skills.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need to be that bright to be a med student/doctor. You'd be surprised at how well you do with a can-do attitude, a good work ethic and the willingness to listen/observe and learn. Like everyone above has said, hard work is mostly what's needed.

bangladesh

HSC
You don't need to be that bright to be a med student/doctor. You'd be surprised at how well you do with a can-do attitude, a good work ethic and the willingness to listen/observe and learn. Like everyone above has said, hard work is mostly what's needed.
yes listen to dr hav.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@op

You don't necessarily need to be that smart.

Work hard, practice those drills, get a umat tutor to help you for the interviews and lastly buy some umat papers to get a grip on the type of logical questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)