• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

am i capable of doing 4u maths? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
To OP: If you keep improving at this rate you should definetly do it.

undalay

HSC
Continuum said:
To the OP, I think that you're going to really struggle with MX2 - really struggle. But then again, that's just my opinion, seeing your teacher is probably the best thing to do. I mean, MX2 takes a shitload of time (seriously... the guys at my school usually spend atleast 1.5 hours on the subject everyday). I'm averaging about 95% and even I'm having doubts.
You barely need to study 3u.

The majority of the time will be dedicated to 4unit.
However it doesn't work like 1.5 hours of 4u + 1 hour of 3unit at all.

Its more like 2 hours (max seriously) per night and 10 minutes of 3unit (obviously an average and not 10 minutes a night, you couldn't get anything done)

This is because ALOT of 4u carries onto 3unit.

E.g. Integration (4u) -> Integration 3u, inverse trig
Graphing -> Trig, inverse trig,
Conics -> parametrics
Mechanices -> Applications of calculus to the physical world
Volumes - > Volumes
Polynomials -> 3u polynomials

Further 3u -> regular 3unit.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
kaz1 said:
To OP: If you keep improving at this rate you should definetly do it.
I agree with 'kamikazi' :D. Just improve, work hard and compete like lyounamu did, and you should be capable enough to choose 4U. Many people I assume are in the same boat.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
undalay said:
You barely need to study 3u.

The majority of the time will be dedicated to 4unit.
However it doesn't work like 1.5 hours of 4u + 1 hour of 3unit at all.

Its more like 2 hours (max seriously) per night and 10 minutes of 3unit (obviously an average and not 10 minutes a night, you couldn't get anything done)

This is because ALOT of 4u carries onto 3unit.

E.g. Integration (4u) -> Integration 3u, inverse trig
Graphing -> Trig, inverse trig,
Conics -> parametrics
Mechanices -> Applications of calculus to the physical world
Volumes - > Volumes
Polynomials -> 3u polynomials

Further 3u -> regular 3unit.
Thanks alot for that information. It makes me feel MUCH more comfortable knowing that I can focus on 4U without having to really worry about 3U. :)

Cheers. :p

jockrussell

HSC
yea do it if u feel u can do it.
Im not to sure about doing it myself but my teacher thinks i can do it so ima give it a go. In half yearly i got 86% and i do approx 1-2 hrs a week for mx1.

You can always drop it if it gets to hard so u may aswell give it a go.

shaon0

HSC
renny 123 said:
Im in the same situation. .
not sure about 4U for next year?
So far my two assessment marks have been 76% (2nd) and 81% (1st)
i am aware that my positioning is good but not sure if i could handle it because i am finding 3U very difficult.
From experience how much do you study for 4U weeky?
Yea, i am in kind of the same situation.
But not as good ranks or marks even though i am finding 3unit relatively easy.
I don't study that much for MX1 only about 1 hour a day at max for all subjects.
but on weekends if i am motivated i will do 4hours max.

eliseliselise

HSC
by doing 4 unit, you will find that your 3 unit abilities and results will improve exponentially, but for this to happen- you obviously have to put in HEAPS of work. i couldnt tell u how many hours of maths i do a week, but each day i get a 50 minute free that is always, without fail, dedicated to maths and mathematical joke telling ["so i was at this function party once.... "], then i go home & do more maths that night. i also only get one lunchtime per week coz all the others are dedicated to maths lessons [& this week on my one lunch off i had a ruddy leadership meeting!! humph!!].

but yerrr 4unit reaps great rewards, as long as you do the work!! 5 hours of maths a day!!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
eliseliselise said:
by doing 4 unit, you will find that your 3 unit abilities and results will improve exponentially, but for this to happen- you obviously have to put in HEAPS of work. i couldnt tell u how many hours of maths i do a week, but each day i get a 50 minute free that is always, without fail, dedicated to maths and mathematical joke telling ["so i was at this function party once.... "], then i go home & do more maths that night. i also only get one lunchtime per week coz all the others are dedicated to maths lessons [& this week on my one lunch off i had a ruddy leadership meeting!! humph!!].

but yerrr 4unit reaps great rewards, as long as you do the work!! 5 hours of maths a day!!
Now that is extreme dedication to maths by giving up your lunchtimes.

12o9

HSC
Whether you're capable or not depends on how much effort you're willing to put into maths ;)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
eliseliselise said:

You sound hot, MSN please.

Haha kidding.

Aplus said:
By looking at your marks you must realise that Extension 2 Mathematics is going to be way beyond your capabilities. Not to be insulting, but come on, look at your marks. 47% and 62%? If you're looking at doing Extension 2 you should be consistently getting in the 90's (80's at least).
My mates got averages of 40-50% for 3unit last year, they're doing average int he grade now (ranked around 18-24/35).

4u is seriously overrated, sure the questions can get ridiculously hard, but "learning" it is quite simple

complex numbers - algebra with an i in it
integration - easy, just a few more techniques
volumes - easy, just idtenfiying shapes + imagination
conics- parametrics again
mechanics - haven't done, don't know.
polynomials - 3u stuff, nothing much extra
graphing - easy peasy.

the thing about 4u is, i think the only "new" things you learn is in volumes, comple numbers and mechanics. eveything else can be done with 3u knowledge (or an expansion on 3u knowledge).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
tommykins said:
4u is seriously overrated, sure the questions can get ridiculously hard, but "learning" it is quite simple

graphing - easy peasy.

the thing about 4u is, i think the only "new" things you learn is in volumes, comple numbers and mechanics. eveything else can be done with 3u knowledge (or an expansion on 3u knowledge).
You're giving me false hope aren't you?

eliseliselise

HSC
kaz1 said:
what's really bad is when you have maths tests... AT LUNCH. & there's like 95890348596824130345 little year seveners outside jumping up & down, singing songs, holding hands, exchanging museli bars & playing chess on the recently erected giant chess board [which reminds me distinctly of harry potter and im still trying 2 find the chamber of secrets]... & you're stuck inside this quiet little room that smells of juice & sausage roll. -shudder-

but, original poster- try and then buy 4u math. the novelty of saying that u do it wears off after approximately 5 minutes into the second lesson. but its a great course and you'll probably ace the first semester or so of uni if ya do it.
;)
:)
:D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
tommykins said:

Haha kidding.

My mates got averages of 40-50% for 3unit last year, they're doing average int he grade now (ranked around 18-24/35).

graphing - easy peasy.

That is a complete contradiction to everyone else's opinion about 4 unit.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
kaz1 said:
I give up my lunchtimes for maths. We have our accelerated 3U mathematics lessons during lunch and sometimes during my study periods. However if you think that it bad, in Year 9 and 10, I had my accelerated lessons 7:30 in the morning... now that was bad.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
the-derivative said:
You're giving me false hope aren't you?
kaz1 said:
That is a complete contradiction to everyone else's opinion about 4 unit.

I'm not saying it's "easy" in terms of, bludge and you'll do good still, but it's easy by that learning the basics and content of it, building the foundations of the 4unit topics is easy.

the hardest topic youll encoutner is normally the first one (complex numbers) since you're all new to the concepts. but once you've adapted to the "difficulty" of learning new concepts, it becomes mildy easy.

the questions can be hard, but solid revision and practice will get you there.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
tommykins said:
I'm not saying it's "easy" in terms of, bludge and you'll do good still, but it's easy by that learning the basics and content of it, building the foundations of the 4unit topics is easy.

the hardest topic youll encoutner is normally the first one (complex numbers) since you're all new to the concepts. but once you've adapted to the "difficulty" of learning new concepts, it becomes mildy easy.

the questions can be hard, but solid revision and practice will get you there.
Yeah i guess that's with all Mathematics. The more you revise and study, the better you will be.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
the-derivative said:
Yeah i guess that's with all Mathematics. The more you revise and study, the better you will be.
Of course, seeing as you're accelerating in 3unit, you'll be able to do 4unit fine.

eliseliselise

HSC
tommykins said:

Haha kidding.
OmggGgg!!.?!hU uzEs M$(\) deEse dAiz? 0MGggG!! <3 lololololololhahahahahha!1!shift11111111!!!! fAc3b0oK fTw!! comment maii nu alBuM s2s2s2s22s2s2 ;) u R soOOoo funn3h!! hahahaha. IM mi 4 a gUd TiMe!! <3 sozza,, lYk g2g tTyl..

tommykins said:

graphing - easy peasy.

i think you just shattered many poor, innocent mathematicians. yes, learning can be easy. sometimes. exams are not easy [most of the time].

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
eliseliselise said:
OmggGgg!!.?!hU uzEs M$(\) deEse dAiz? 0MGggG!! <3 lololololololhahahahahha!1!shift11111111!!!! fAc3b0oK fTw!! comment maii nu alBuM s2s2s2s22s2s2 ;) u R soOOoo funn3h!! hahahaha. IM mi 4 a gUd TiMe!! <3 sozza,, lYk g2g tTyl..

i think you just shattered many poor, innocent mathematicians. yes, learning can be easy. sometimes. exams are not easy [most of the time].
OMG you sound even hotter :uhhuh:
add me on Facebook, yeah?

Back to the maths (which is equally as hot)
Yeah, I'm guessing like 3u (because I don't do 4u... well not yet) that the concepts are probably pretty easy to learn. But the exams are so freakin hard!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)