Am I able to do this at University Of New South Wales? (1 Viewer)

Memento-mori

HSC
I plan to do either a Bachelor Of Arts/ Bachelor of Science (cut off 82) or a Bachelor Of Fine Arts/ Bachelor Of Arts (cut off 73).

For free electives, can I take electives in the following?
-Media (Media Production)- specifically, web design
-Media (Screen And Sound)

I would just do a bachelor of Media, but I really do want to do a double degree, preferably science so I can major in psychology.

Also, is there a limit of how many free electives I can undertake? All help is appreciated. Great open day yesterday :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I plan to do either a Bachelor Of Arts/ Bachelor of Science (cut off 82) or a Bachelor Of Fine Arts/ Bachelor Of Arts (cut off 73).

For free electives, can I take electives in the following?
-Media (Media Production)- specifically, web design
-Media (Screen And Sound)

I would just do a bachelor of Media, but I really do want to do a double degree, preferably science so I can major in psychology.

Also, is there a limit of how many free electives I can undertake? All help is appreciated. Great open day yesterday :)
For free electives - you can take whatever you want, as long as you satisfy the prerequisites. So no fourth year maths unless you've done the relevant third year course, which requires the relevant second year course, etc. etc.

And look for your degree here:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/2013/index.html

Look at the course structure. It tells you how many free electives you can take.

Memento-mori

HSC
For free electives - you can take whatever you want, as long as you satisfy the prerequisites. So no fourth year maths unless you've done the relevant third year course, which requires the relevant second year course, etc. etc.

And look for your degree here:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/2013/index.html

Look at the course structure. It tells you how many free electives you can take.
thanks. One of the prereqs is '' Enrolment in a non-CSE program'' what does that mean?

Memento-mori

HSC
Which program/degree? You've named 3 in your post - BSc/BA, BFA/BA and BMedia.
Hopefully I get into B.Sci/ B.A, if I do not, B.A/B.F.A. I do not want to do a media degree at all.

So If I get into a B.A/ B.Sci, am I able to take as many free electives as I want from Media, Fine Art degrees?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Read the handbook entry, it tells you exactly how many free electives you have.

Memento-mori

HSC
Read the handbook entry, it tells you exactly how many free electives you have.
That handbook although confusing at first, made more sense than the mq and syd uni one.

by the looks of things, dual degrees require just the general education, not any free electives.

I think I'll just enrol in a B.A or a B.Sc and then just go into a dual degree in the second year. Probs better for me in the long run

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
That means you cannot be enrolled in computer science and engineering related courses.
Nah program refers to the degree, not just the courses. So since I'm in a CSE degree, I can't choose that course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That handbook although confusing at first, made more sense than the mq and syd uni one.

by the looks of things, dual degrees require just the general education, not any free electives.

I think I'll just enrol in a B.A or a B.Sc and then just go into a dual degree in the second year. Probs better for me in the long run
No, you take both because you have to transfer into these courses. It's not "well okay guys, i've done science for a year - i want to do science/arts now"

You have to transfer into the program, meaning you must have minimum requirements markwise to get in, along with hoping that there's spots available and the like.

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah program refers to the degree, not just the courses. So since I'm in a CSE degree, I can't choose that course.
Well I actually meant degree, my bad. I always refer courses as degrees, and how everyone refers to as courses, I refer to as subjects.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hopefully I get into B.Sci/ B.A, if I do not, B.A/B.F.A. I do not want to do a media degree at all.

So If I get into a B.A/ B.Sci, am I able to take as many free electives as I want from Media, Fine Art degrees?
Yes you can. Technically you have no general or free electives like in the straight single degrees. It says:

"Where the requirements for the two programs are completed in less than 192 units of credit due to overlapping courses, students must make up the remaining units of credit from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences or the Faculty of Science."

So really, since the Psych degree is 72 UOC, and the Philosophy degree is 54 UOC, you need to make up the extra 66 UOC from the Arts faculty or the Science faculty. So, from what you would like to do, you can only choose media courses, not fine arts courses. Fine arts belongs to the College of Fine Arts, not the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)