• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Alternative pathways into the health field... (1 Viewer)

iamnerd

HSC
HI bOSers! Im in year 12 this year and have some enquiries about entry into the health field such as medicine, physiotherapy, optemetry etc..

To start off, im not doing chemistry and unfortunately i realise that most courses in health require chemistry as a pre-requisite for entry. But i really have a huge interest in pursuing a career in the health field in the future and was wondering what other pathways i could take to enter the field.

Currently I think my vce status is on the right track, i obtained a 44 for biology and 46 for chinese last year and attempting the following subjects in my sig this year. With maths being my strongest subject i think im realistically looking at a 95-97 enter score but will be pushing for 98+ but of course english will play a huge part ><

Hopefully i can get some good advice from you guys and thanks heaps in advance!!

lionking1191

HSC
do you have any specific questions? if you get a high 90s ENTER you have evey chance of getting into one of the aforementioned programs if your VCE is next year.

in nsw chem isn't a pre-requisite, only assumed knowledge so u could do a bridging course after.

iamnerd

HSC
wow never knew that was the case in nsw o.o But i live in melbourne and would preferably study here and from what i've read, chem is a definite pre-req for those courses. Of course if i have no choice i will probably go to nsw to pursue my dream.

Could some1 maybe exlain a possible route through a uni in melbourne that i could take that doesnt require chem? ta!

thx for the reply btw to the above poster =]

lionking1191

HSC
i'm afraid most health-related courses in victoria (eg. optometry, dentistry and med) require chem as a pre-requisite and i don't think theres any way out of that.

UQ at least i know doesn't need chem either, only maths and one science. so there's plenty of interstate opportunities.

a bridging course is a crash course (usually 2 wks) which familiarises you with the basic concepts in a particular subject so as to get you up to date with the basic knowledge that u'll need in uni.

iamnerd

HSC
hmm i see, is there a link where i can find out the entry requirements for optometry,med etc for unsw or usyd? And does the vce enter = uai? or is there a difference, sry im not too sure about hsc and stuff =/

lionking1191

HSC
hmm i see, is there a link where i can find out the entry requirements for optometry,med etc for unsw or usyd? And does the vce enter = uai? or is there a difference, sry im not too sure about hsc and stuff =/
yep before there was a discrepancy but now uai = enter for all selection purposes.

you could find most online, look up UNSW courses, or UNSW handbook. same goes for other unis.

lifequest

HSC
Yes pre-reqs for those courses are Chemistry.

However, have you considered Dentistry at La Trobe, Bendigo?
Pre-req are:
35 English
& any ONE of:
35 Bio or
35 Chem or
35 Physics

iamnerd

HSC
wow i would certainly consider a place there, whats the cut off for dentistry in la trobe?

Does any1 know the uai cut off for Bdent in usyd/unsw? And i read somewhere that there are no subject requirements for entry into Bdent in usyd/unsw, can some1 confirm this? ty!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
wow i would certainly consider a place there, whats the cut off for dentistry in la trobe?

Does any1 know the uai cut off for Bdent in usyd/unsw? And i read somewhere that there are no subject requirements for entry into Bdent in usyd/unsw, can some1 confirm this? ty!
UNSW does not offer dent.

CSU is the only undergrad dent school in NSW.

Usyd, Umelb, UQ, etc only have graduate dent courses, i.e. you must complete an undergrad degree and sit GAMSAT before undertaking Dent at these universities.

<<< Rep (rape) me <<<

iamnerd

HSC
ohh well that clears things up abit.. so i assume that going thru csu undergrad dent is the fastest route? and does it matter alot in terms of future employment concerning which uni u undertake dentistry from?

BigDk

HSC
ohh well that clears things up abit.. so i assume that going thru csu undergrad dent is the fastest route? and does it matter alot in terms of future employment concerning which uni u undertake dentistry from?
unless you are a rural student u can forget about CSU dentistry

its a bit like JCU for medicine.

they only want rural students who will actually practice dentistry in a rural area after u graduate. thats not to say a rural student wont just move to sydney after they graduate, but you can well be assured that a city student wont stick around in a rural area after they graduate.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
unless you are a rural student u can forget about CSU dentistry

its a bit like JCU for medicine.

they only want rural students who will actually practice dentistry in a rural area after u graduate. thats not to say a rural student wont just move to sydney after they graduate, but you can well be assured that a city student wont stick around in a rural area after they graduate.
agreed, most dentistry courses opened recently are to cater the demand in rural area., for instance, La trobe just opened a dent course last yr, and same with CSU.

But in terms of employment prospect, it doesnt matter where your degree is from, dentistry is larglely in demand and your looking at pretty much 99-100% employment rate.

lifequest

HSC
UNSW does not offer dent.

CSU is the only undergrad dent school in NSW.

Usyd, Umelb, UQ, etc only have graduate dent courses, i.e. you must complete an undergrad degree and sit GAMSAT before undertaking Dent at these universities.

<<< Rep (rape) me <<<
Actually,
UMelb extended their Dent undergrad course until 2011.

The Clearly in ENTER for Dent at La Trobe in my year was only 98.8 with a fringe of 98.55.

If you have SEAS or are a RURAL student, it'll drop to 97 to 92 respectively.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

iamnerd

HSC
Correct me if im wrong but isit also possible to enter Bdsc in melb uni if i take Bsci(new gen) and choosing the correct majors 1, then transferring to Bdsc? And can Bsci(new gen) lead to other health sciences such as med?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Correct me if im wrong but isit also possible to enter Bdsc in melb uni if i take Bsci(new gen) and choosing the correct majors 1, then transferring to Bdsc? And can Bsci(new gen) lead to other health sciences such as med?
Yeah, you have to do 2nd year level anatomy and physiology subjects to be eligible for med, im not too sure about the requirements for dentistry though.

suzlee

HSC
Hm im on the melb uni site and it said that 2009 was the last intake for bach of dental science and bach of med/surgery, so does that mean they no longer offer that undergrad? or am i reading it wrong =x site : Course Search : Future Students : The University of Melbourne
I emailed the enquiry centre and yeah, they are not offering the course in 2010. Last intake in 2009 like you said..

They are reopening in 2011 with a graduate course.

I wanted to do it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)