Almost done BCom (finance), what other degree would you do? (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
Getting a clerkship hasn't been my goal since first year. I scored a summer vac job in banking/financial tax at a big 4 and i'm really excited because the pay is excellent (around the same as big law firms) but the hours are completely normal, and it's perfectly relevant to both of my degrees.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Getting a clerkship hasn't been my goal since first year. I scored a summer vac job in banking/financial tax at a big 4 and i'm really excited because the pay is excellent (around the same as big law firms) but the hours are completely normal, and it's perfectly relevant to both of my degrees.
what kind of work do you do?

04er

HSC
I will be starting in 3 weeks from now, so I only have a vague idea. All I know is that it involves taxation law, specifically relating to banks and financial service firms.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't mind being a solicitor in the bush, but its harder said than done, right?
If you Google 'lawyer' and 'shortage' you get articles such as:
Rural lawyer shortage 'to get worse'

Not sure about prospects without a law degree but know of someone local working towards the Diploma in the hope to doing their admission to practice afterwards... LEC - Future Students or Student-at-Law - Legal Profession Admission Bd : Lawlink NSW

It says on one of the above sites:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The study path for entry to the legal profession begins with undertaking either the Board's examinations, or a law degree from an accredited law school. Then, in either case, in order to be eligible for admission to practice, it is necessary to complete an accredited program of practical legal training.[/FONT]

I know CDU's Law degree is available by distance and RMIT's Juris Doctor is available through Open Uni's (www.open.edu.au) by distance too with some compulsory residential schools. So yeah, there are means and ways of getting a law qualification in the bush if the corporate ladder thing isn't for you. Our local solicitor knocks off at 4pm each day - well shuts up shop, he might keep working with the door closed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)