All your questions answered about UMAT (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
dr fresh can you answer my questions please. I'd appreciate your opinion. Here are my two questions:

1. Is S1-71 S2-56 S3-64 Overall: 64 Percentile:94 and an atar of say 99.5 enough to get me an interview at UNSW?
2. What type of questions do they ask at the interviews?
1. yes easily.
2. thats a pretty loaded question. they like to ask a lot of questions about you, your interests and about your personal qualities through quite weird questions. e.g. what do your friends think of you? if you could be any animal what would you want to be? etc.
when i did the interview, i thought i having an appointment with a shrink. the UNSW interview is quite unique and wasnt like anything id done before. but this was a couple of years ago so they mightve changed iono.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
1. yes easily.
2. thats a pretty loaded question. they like to ask a lot of questions about you, your interests and about your personal qualities through quite weird questions. e.g. what do your friends think of you? if you could be any animal what would you want to be? etc.
when i did the interview, i thought i having an appointment with a shrink. the UNSW interview is quite unique and wasnt like anything id done before. but this was a couple of years ago so they mightve changed iono.
1. What about just 99.00?
2. ok, so do you reckon i'd be alrite just winging it? I never really prepare for interviews tbh

btw thanks for your help m8, I know I'm probably pestering you, but I really want to find out as much as I can from someone who has gone through it all.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
1. What about just 99.00?
2. ok, so do you reckon i'd be alrite just winging it? I never really prepare for interviews tbh

btw thanks for your help m8, I know I'm probably pestering you, but I really want to find out as much as I can from someone who has gone through it all.
1. Yes
2. It's really up to u. If u feel comfortable winging it then u can. Some people are naturally good at speaking and don't need to prep at all.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
2. What type of questions do they ask at the interviews?
hey mirakon maybe i could help you out with your question as i did the interview last year. pretty much similar to wat Dr Fresh said.

basically they ask you questions to develop a better undertstanding of your personality. UNSW will not throw in retarded questions like "if you had to save the mother or the baby, who would you choose and why?" Questions they ask include:
*Describe your friends
*What role do doctors play in society? (basically asking for your opinion of what doctors really do in their profession)
*subjects you like/dislike and why(testing for consitency with your written application so review your answers on your application form as they can ask anything from there to see if you are beign consistent)
*they may ask you for your best subjects and ask why you chose medicine over the related profession. I got ask why I chose medicine over law because I did legal studies...
*your future ambitions ~ 10 years from now
*problems in the structure of the medical profession e.g. young doctors working long shifts, length of degree etc, note not ethic problems like euthanasia and abortion

there are more but I cant remember all XD sorry hopefully gave you some ideas

amour

Female
HSC
Hi everyone, what does weighted umat scores mean?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
hey mirakon maybe i could help you out with your question as i did the interview last year. pretty much similar to wat Dr Fresh said.

basically they ask you questions to develop a better undertstanding of your personality. UNSW will not throw in retarded questions like "if you had to save the mother or the baby, who would you choose and why?" Questions they ask include:
*Describe your friends
*What role do doctors play in society? (basically asking for your opinion of what doctors really do in their profession)
*subjects you like/dislike and why(testing for consitency with your written application so review your answers on your application form as they can ask anything from there to see if you are beign consistent)
*they may ask you for your best subjects and ask why you chose medicine over the related profession. I got ask why I chose medicine over law because I did legal studies...
*your future ambitions ~ 10 years from now
*problems in the structure of the medical profession e.g. young doctors working long shifts, length of degree etc, note not ethic problems like euthanasia and abortion

there are more but I cant remember all XD sorry hopefully gave you some ideas
cheers m8! I guess they don't want to address "ethic problems" primarily due to their controversial nature?

lovexx321

HSC
Hi i got a an ATAR above 98 last year and am currently in my first year of a university course with a 73.75WAM currently.
I did the UMAT this year and got scores of:
S1: 58
S2: 57
S3: 62
With an overall percentile of 83 and an overall score of 177. I know that my weighted score for UWS is 145 but i was wondering if that was enough for this year as it seems that everyone has done much better in terms of scores than previous years. I know that last years GWS umat cutoff was arround 138 but could anyone tell me the chances of the cutoff rising to higher than my score?

Also could anyone tell me about my chances at any of the other universities :)

Thanks in advance!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah a lot of people who got higher percentiles also screwed up 2nd section, but made up for it by gunning sections 1 and 3.

Btw any of you have an idea as to what type of questions are asked in interviews?
It was sort of like a more detailed job interview. They asked about my preferences, and my schooling from when I was very young, all the way up until High School. They asked why I changed Primary school three times - they also talked about my interests, who I idolise, what my friends would say about me, and how I would describe myself etc etc.

Oh, and the: "why do you want to do medicine" question.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It was sort of like a more detailed job interview. They asked about my preferences, and my schooling from when I was very young, all the way up until High School. They asked why I changed Primary school three times - they also talked about my interests, who I idolise, what my friends would say about me, and how I would describe myself etc etc.

Oh, and the: "why do you want to do medicine" question.
Sounds pretty good, thx!

ngoetz

HSC
I live in Sydney, but my parents plan on moving to Brisbane as soon as I finish my HSC. How do you think that UQ stacks up against UNSW or USyd? Also, which do you think is better, UQ or Griffith? By the way, my subjects are German Extension, English Extension, Maths Extension II and Chemistry, so that means 4 Bonus points at UQ?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I live in Sydney, but my parents plan on moving to Brisbane as soon as I finish my HSC. How do you think that UQ stacks up against UNSW or USyd? Also, which do you think is better, UQ or Griffith? By the way, my subjects are German Extension, English Extension, Maths Extension II and Chemistry, so that means 4 Bonus points at UQ?
UQ is a top notch uni but unfortunately that is because its medical research ranks so highly. in terms of the medical program, its probably not as great as UNSW, Usyd, Monash or even Adelaide. but it doesnt really matter since doctors are all the same and where you get ur degree from doesnt have any great influence on ur employment prospects. UQ definitely>Griffith though.
and yes that means you get 4 bonus ranks meaning you can get a place at UQ with an atar as low as 95.00 provided ur umat is high enough.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
cheers m8! I guess they don't want to address "ethic problems" primarily due to their controversial nature?
yes and people tend to lie about it anyway so i guess they find no point in asking it

salih08

HSC
Alright i dont get it....I got 56 raw, 73% percentile, (and 136 UWS weighted score but NOT in GWS)....so I have a chance of getting an interview at UNSW with a 99.5 Atar, but have no chance anywhere else correct?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Alright i dont get it....I got 56 raw, 73% percentile, (and 136 UWS weighted score but NOT in GWS)....so I have a chance of getting an interview at UNSW with a 99.5 Atar, but have no chance anywhere else correct?
Correct

ngoetz

HSC
UQ is a top notch uni but unfortunately that is because its medical research ranks so highly. in terms of the medical program, its probably not as great as UNSW, Usyd, Monash or even Adelaide. but it doesnt really matter since doctors are all the same and where you get ur degree from doesnt have any great influence on ur employment prospects. UQ definitely>Griffith though.
and yes that means you get 4 bonus ranks meaning you can get a place at UQ with an atar as low as 95.00 provided ur umat is high enough.
ahh ok thanks a lot! Yeah my Dad will be part of the medical research faculty, that's why we're moving up there :p How much of a difference do you think there is in the quality of the medical program between like UNSW and UQ? And what constitutes this discrepancy? Is it just the resources or also the quality of teaching?

ngoetz

HSC
Also what do you think of conditional entry at UQ, where you study something else first for two years? Is there any way to study Med straight away?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
ahh ok thanks a lot! Yeah my Dad will be part of the medical research faculty, that's why we're moving up there :p How much of a difference do you think there is in the quality of the medical program between like UNSW and UQ? And what constitutes this discrepancy? Is it just the resources or also the quality of teaching?
the difference would be only marginal since both courses are required to deliver the exact same content to make you a competent doctor. its just that certain universities are know for producing junior doctors who are better at certain aspects of medicine, something which is largely dependant on the course structure. e.g. knowledge vs practical skills.

Also what do you think of conditional entry at UQ, where you study something else first for two years? Is there any way to study Med straight away?
UQ does not have an undergraduate entry scheme. the fastest way would be to do the accelerated provisional entry program (6 years iirc).

ngoetz

HSC
the difference would be only marginal since both courses are required to deliver the exact same content to make you a competent doctor. its just that certain universities are know for producing junior doctors who are better at certain aspects of medicine, something which is largely dependant on the course structure. e.g. knowledge vs practical skills.

UQ does not have an undergraduate entry scheme. the fastest way would be to do the accelerated provisional entry program (6 years iirc).
Thanks for the reply! I had a look and apparently you do a Bachelor for two years first (Either Arts, Science or Health Sciences I think) and then do the MBBS in four years, so it looks alright. Apparently you get lots of clinical experience as well.

I like maths

HSC
I was in the 94th percentile for the UMAT and I am looking at a 99.5-99.75 atar (based on my internal ranks). What are my chances of actually getting into UNSW? (I think I'll get an interview but to what degree do I need to stand out in the interview to actually be competitive? how many people get offered interviews anyway?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)