All history extensioners!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

georgia-ellen

HSC
hellloooo fellow historians!
not many people on here do ext history (its mostly 5 million unit maths and physics hahah), so i figured we should make our own little groupie

so post here if youd like to make some friends and just keep each other motivated getting through this crapola-load of work!! plus we can share notes/ideas/be each others sounding boards

so, just a few questions to get the ball rolling...

1. name, school
2. any favouritism between modern or ancient?
3. have you finalised your question? if so, what is it?

my name is georgia, i go to st andrews, and alhtough i enjoy modern i slightly prefer ancient. my question isn't 100% in stone, but at the moment it's something along the lines of...

"to what extent were external parties such as colonial belgians, the western countries and the catholic church each responsible for the 1994 rwandan genocide?"
or, if that proves to be too specific, jsut what were the general causes and motives behind the genocide

i hope someone actually replies... hahah
peace!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hellloooo fellow historians!
not many people on here do ext history (its mostly 5 million unit maths and physics hahah), so i figured we should make our own little groupie

so post here if youd like to make some friends and just keep each other motivated getting through this crapola-load of work!! plus we can share notes/ideas/be each others sounding boards

so, just a few questions to get the ball rolling...

1. name, school
2. any favouritism between modern or ancient?
3. have you finalised your question? if so, what is it?

my name is georgia, i go to st andrews, and alhtough i enjoy modern i slightly prefer ancient. my question isn't 100% in stone, but at the moment it's something along the lines of...

"to what extent were external parties such as colonial belgians, the western countries and the catholic church each responsible for the 1994 rwandan genocide?"
or, if that proves to be too specific, jsut what were the general causes and motives behind the genocide

i hope someone actually replies... hahah
peace!
As an Extension teacher I would shorten the question by leaving out the examples because if you leave in the specifics you really are leaving yourself a bit narrow in focus but by leaving them out you really can look at all the causes - both external and internal and then make a judgement. This is a great topic and good luck with it.

i--like--eggs

HSC
hey!!
anna mclean, Cowra High School
Im doing ancient history and ext history
my topic will be something about Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the atom bombs and if it was necessary for america to drop them...hacvent quite got my topic 100% yet but working on it....=]
good luck!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hey!!
anna mclean, Cowra High School
Im doing ancient history and ext history
my topic will be something about Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the atom bombs and if it was necessary for america to drop them...hacvent quite got my topic 100% yet but working on it....=]
good luck!
Be careful not to overlap the Modern History topic on Conflict in the Pacific.

Just because you aren't studying Modern doesn't mean that you can do a topic that 'significantly overlaps an examinable syllabus'.

Note the use of the work 'significantly' so that doesn't mean that you can't do it but check out the syllabus and what it has the students studying on that topic and avoid that issue - so 'why was it dropped' would definitely be out but something like 'knowing the impact of the bombs that we know now should it have been done'. With a topic like that too it is a good idea to remember that we know consequences which weren't fully known or understood at the time and to also consider the position Truman was in at the time as opposed to simply how we view those events in hindsight.

kiniki

HSC
hey my name's Nicole and I only do modern.. but it's one of my favourite subjects. With regards to my question, we had a teacher for term 4 who was completely out of the loop - a great guy but just.. i think he has dementia quite honestly. Anyways so we're getting a new teacher this term and we've done fuck all work :( This new teacher is a modern teacher and has never seen the ext hist syllabus in his life so my class and I are all extremely worried and yeah.. i have no question, none of us do :( I was thinking 'Do historians have the authority to question the extent and validity of the Holocaust' but yeah i have no idea fuck! :( If our new teacher is a fucker, and we end up having to teach ourselves, i'll be doing Shakespeare versus Marlowe :)

zoe1231

HSC
hi, i'm zoe
i do ancient and his x - love ancient history though- and i was thinking of doing a question on the peloponnesian war? i can't think of a good question though so if anyon had any ideas they wanted to run by me...?

georgia-ellen

HSC
Cem:

Thank you, I will keep that in mind! I'm just writing my first draft atm, but I have plenty of other possible arguments that I can draw from, so I'm going to figure out how in depth I can go into each of the arguments and thus how many I can do/how broad my question will be.

I-like-eggs:

Yea, I'm studying that for post-modernism in extension english, and a girl in my x-history class is doing it too (she does ext english though so shes kinda cheating lol). There are some really interesting debates between the Japanese and American perspectives of the bomb so you could compare those? But yea that would all tie in the to necessity of them dropping it. I'll let you know if I can find out what historians she's doing.

Kiniki:

Yeah, that sucks about your teacher. Mine's fairly good, and dedicated if you're passionate (which I am), so that's great. Yea, that would be an interesting topic.. you should look into Holocaust denial theories. I think that would be fascinating, but I don't know much about it. Look at David Irving maybe? Because that could provide arguments as to how illigitemate other historians ideas of the Holocaust are? But as I say, that's really not my area, so I could be misdirecting you haha.

Zoe1231:

Yeah, ancient for the win! I don't really know much about the Peloponnesian War, so I couldn't suggest a topic, but I think you're predominantly looking for a question that has controversy between sources and historical opinion. Basically what I did was thought of a few ideas, and I didn't know much about the Rwandan genocide so I thought it'd be good. Then I went onto the Sydney Uni Fischer Library website catalogue, and just searched for whatever books they had on Rwanda, and from there I found some really interesting books where historians had different opinions, such as a nun writing about why the Catholics were responsible, and others about French and European colonialism, socio-economics etc. Just search pelopponesian war, find something and go with it. You can just click it and read the description and see what the historian is arguing.
Goodluck with it!!

Has anyone started learning about the Schools of History? Anyone know about methods for Polybis, Livy or Tacitus? I have to write an essay comparing the methods of one of them to Herodotus and Thucydides.
Dankeschon!! :apig:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hi, i'm zoe
i do ancient and his x - love ancient history though- and i was thinking of doing a question on the peloponnesian war? i can't think of a good question though so if anyon had any ideas they wanted to run by me...?
Again be careful with this area as it is examinable on the Ancient History course.

Changing historiography is something that Ancient students would be expected to have in dealing with this topic.

I advise my kids to steer well clear of the Ancient stuff as so little isn't on the examinable syllabus.

That being said - your teacher may be one that chooses to ignore the Ext. syllabus and allow that topic but I most certainly wouldn't due to the wording of the Extension syllabus - certainly not specifically on the Peloponnesian War itself - a comparison with a later/earlier war or something like that but not on the specifics e.g. How has the histiography of the Peloponnesian War changed compared to the historiography of say one the later wars in that area.

georgia-ellen

HSC
HELLO MR LEEDS if you happen to be parading through BoS again!

:skip:

ps look at my like 'signature' thing... look at the symbols associated with history ext and ancient! i wonder what the one similarity between those two classes is...

gella

HSC
hi guythzzz
my question is: Referring to the specific case of the Holocaust denial debate, assess the extent to which an historian is responsible for the truth.

0bs3n3

HSC
Hey.

My question is roughly as below:

"Assess the contribution of writers and historians in relation to the popular and historical interpretations of Erwin Rommel."

Really happy with my question and I've found some awesome texts!

gella

HSC
nope, not yet. i only just decided on a final question on tuesday, and am currently in the process of looking up shit on ernst zundel and david irving. not too sure what i should be looking for though..meh

suling

HSC
I'm Steph. Duval High School.
Ancient is the best by far..though I would love it if there was a subject dedicated to Tudor History. =D

Anyway, for my project I am looking at how and why perspectives on Lady Jane Grey have changed over time.. i.e looking at the contexts of the historians and other factors. I don't have an exact question yet, I'm still trying to figure out the wording.

Good luck everyone!

Cowbell

HSC
enjoy your subject with the shittiest work:scaling ratio of all.

moar like extension failstory amirite?!?

bbychocoholic

HSC
hey all!!!
the name is lila, birrong girls high school.
i only do modern.

i have the same teacher (who's also Head Teacher and apparently had a hand in writing the syllabus for Extension History *groan*) for modern history and extension so i find that is really helpful, especially since all (with the exception of one girl) of my ext class does modern.

havent got my specific question yet, but i know my topic. Our teacher wants us to focus on the Western Imperialisation area (he finds it easier to teach and help us through the project). i'm looking at doing how people, the noble people at least, living during the era of empire/imperialisation got their titles- e.g Duke, Earl etc.

its good to meet some fellow extension historians :D

xx

georgia-ellen

HSC
enjoy your subject with the shittiest work:scaling ratio of all.

moar like extension failstory amirite?!?

You get alot more out of extension history than just scaling...
Thus, it does actually scale well, as I enjoy the subject matter therefore the scaling is just a bonus, and not a requirement to do the subject.

equalscapitalde

HSC
Hi,

my name is rebecca.
i, unforunatly, only do modern. And i love it. =D
I don't have a question, but i think i'm examining Hitlers role in WW2, and/ or how his "Henchmen" supported this.

Changed topic 3 times, 16 serious attempts at a question.
damned syllabus'!

Cowbell

HSC
You get alot more out of extension history than just scaling...
Thus, it does actually scale well, as I enjoy the subject matter therefore the scaling is just a bonus, and not a requirement to do the subject.
haha oh wow
you're not really a free thinker are you?

by your logic you should've dropped out in year 10 and done something that interested you more than school regardless of the actual point of doing it

wait, i just realised i used to word "logic" in a thread for people doing extension history. that certainly won't work...

Carry on.

georgia-ellen

HSC
haha oh wow
you're not really a free thinker are you?

by your logic you should've dropped out in year 10 and done something that interested you more than school regardless of the actual point of doing it

wait, i just realised i used to word "logic" in a thread for people doing extension history. that certainly won't work...

Carry on.
Why would you bother posting on this thread if you're just going to be patronising? Do you honestly have nothing better to do than to look tough, hidden behind your computer screen?

So really, you want to belittle someone (or in this case a group of individuals) out of boredom and you decide to do it because of their HSC subjects? I mean wow, you DEFINITELY have your priorities straight.

You make no sense... School does interest me.. Hence I wouldn't drop out... Honestly, what the fuck are you on about?

Get a fucking life, douchebag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)