Alkanol molar heat of combustion experiment discussion (1 Viewer)

xnerd96x

HSC
remember the alkanol molar heat of combustion prac?

what are some possible discussion points for reliabilty, accuracy and validity?

i was away :(

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Reliability: Were the experiments repeated? Were the results consistent?

Accuracy: It is most likely inaccurate as the test was invalid (see below), also, the result is relatively inaccurate when compared to actual values.

Validity: The experiment relied on the fact that it would occur in ideal conditions but it was not. There are many sources of error such as incomplete combustion as seen by the yellow flame and hence, lower heat released, impurities in the air causes different molar heat of combustion as other substances such as nitrogen oxides can also form etc.

Eg155

HSC
remember the alkanol molar heat of combustion prac?

what are some possible discussion points for reliabilty, accuracy and validity?

i was away :(
Also, in repeating the experiment at least 3 times, if your results are inconsistent in the repetitions then this can lead to further discussion to add to accuracy and reliability. E.g. was the equipment you used provide accurate readings- calibrated properly, reputable manufacturer (no el cheapo- ask your teacher)?
And yea, is the accuracy is not there then the experiment can be deemed invalid because you are not gathering results which answer your aim, i.e to investigate the molar heat of combustion of various alkanols or something similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)