alcohol age lowered, driving age raised.. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok, me and a friend were discussin the legal driving and drinking ages, and thought that 16 should become the new legal drinking age, and driving age, should be 18, because that way you would have two years to learn how to drink sensibly without risk of drink driving. Then to get your Licence when you're older would be better because kids would be more mature, and more sensible adults as a result of the lowered drinking age.

...discuss...

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
whats wrong with driving at 16 and drinking at 18? most people i know are drinking by 16 anyways, and if they do follow the law then they have 2 years to become a good driver and realise that drinking is detrimental to driving

still... interesting concept

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
you dont need drunk teens to be driving to cause havoc.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
let me guess, you're a city kid trying to find solutions, with no understanding of country kid problems?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Maybe they should have a driving test after the first year of your green P's, to ensure that you are maintaining good driving skill.

K

katie_tully

Does the age really need to be lowered? You can obtain alcohol at 16 in some way or another..
Whats the novelty with getting plastered.

Jiga

Id prefer driving age lowered and drinking age increased, if something HAD to occur that is. Grog is easy to get when underage, you prity much cant drive underage!!

Lorie

HSC
hmm, well shouldn't the idea be that they don't mix. If ur driving u don't drink, simple as that. I don't think it really matters wheather ur experianced in drinking or not, the point being zero blood alcohol level.

Schoolies_2004 trust me there is alot of underage driving and it quite often goes un noticed and detectable.

Another point, they should make an age on the mobile phones, to stop those yuppie, plastic 4 wheel drive, f**k wits who drive on the phone, i find that more dangerous then drink driving.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i think your proposition makes no sense to me.

how can you assume when teenagers drink

wouldn't lowering the legal drinking age give young drivers more access to alcohol?

and wouldn't the logical thing be raising the legal drinking age?

even though no one would listen to this, it's more sense than your proposition.... to me anyway

rantman

HSC
N/A
how about lowering the voting age to 16 so that every stakeholder in this driving/drinking debate can vote on these issues

malkin86

HSC
I heard there was a push to make voluntary voting for 16+ people and compulsary for over 18s. What does people think of this idea?

berghousemaa

HSC
Lowering the drinking age to 16 probably would result in binge drinking at the moment with this generation. If it had been done earlier like the situation in Europe things would be completely different.
People only really drink at 15 16 because of the rebellious nature of it,thye don't really enjoy the taste or anything. By making it legal it would thus take much of the allure out of it.

ZabZu

HSC
malkin86 said:
I heard there was a push to make voluntary voting for 16+ people and compulsary for over 18s. What does people think of this idea?
I think at the moment people who are 17 can vote (voluntary).

In regard to chaging the legal drinking age, if you change it to 16 years, lots of people aged 13-14 will end up having access to alcohol. Therefore underage drinkers would be much younger than they are today.

Ive heard that the authorities are thinking of raising the driving age (learners) from 16 to 17.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
ZabZu said:
I think at the moment people who are 17 can vote (voluntary).
You can be put on the electoral roll at 17, but you can't vote.

I don't see what the problem is with everything the way it is at the moment. No need to change it.

berghousemaa

HSC
Doesn't your religion teach tolerance, or should there have been a "lol" at the end there. Because at all the Islamic countries I've been to there have definately been bars. They were more strict about staying away from pork than alcohol.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
I don't think Australia is or should be governed by Shari'a, its already illegal in most Muslim countries anyway and its also part of other ppls religions too. (ie the blood of christ)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
berghousemaa said:
Doesn't your religion teach tolerance, or should there have been a "lol" at the end there. Because at all the Islamic countries I've been to there have definately been bars. They were more strict about staying away from pork than alcohol.
even if it was my religon or not
it should still be banned
i used to drink..and in my opinion..it sux...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)