Advice.. (1 Viewer)

bassbeats.

HSC
I am a bit confused and need some help making this decision.
I want to work in Europe as a lawyer or for the United Nations.
My two unis of interest are:
ANU - Arts/Law
MQ - Arts/Law

ANU is ranked 7th in the world for humanities. Law degree is said to be quite good. But I don't like the accommodation.

MQ is ranked 50th in the world for humanities (which is still pretty good!) and the law degree actually has a lot more electives relating to international law than ANU. Also, there are more European-related arts courses. And I love the accommodation...

Ok so basically my question is, will I be wasting my time going to MQ? Everything seems so much better there, and Sydney is closer to home, but I just can't shake out of my head what every one seems to say in favour of ANU.

So advice please!
Thanks!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I do MQ Arts/Law they and have a fantasticly flexible Arts degree which allows for a lot of freedom of choice. I have found MQ good but I cant say much abt ANU except that they are well regarded for law also.

Just remember to keep ur options open, after law school you may decide u want to work in a different area of law :) Good luck

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
everyone wants to work for the united nations :rolleyes:

the only UN stuff i'm doing nowadays is relearning contracts over again in arbitration by playing with the Vienna Convention... :)

Season

HSC
ANU all the way

ANU law is known for its prowess in public and international law, and the interantional studies is pretty well known as well.

Since you're planning on working overseas, ANU has more status then Macquarie, just because, it does. It will probably be more appreciated then Macquarie.

Also jsut out out interest it might be good for you to get involved with UNYA (united nations youth association), they frequently organise mock united nations delegate thingys as well as invite people from the UN to talk about it. I can personally recommend it as an awesome organisation to be in.

Also ANU has this exchange trip to Geneva every year where they take you over there and introduce you to many international organisations, I've heard it's pretty awesome.
http://law.anu.edu.au/Summer/Geneva/Non_ANU_Geneva2008.pdf

I second the fact that everyone wants to work for the UN, and you know who gets in? Harvard graduates, and they do boring stuff, as interns. The other way to get into the UN is to work around in various international organations and move across the the UN as a more senior person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)