Advice to someone starting Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Tangy92

HSC
N/A
Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks in advance for any advice or insight this community can offer to me.

I'm starting Year 11 this year, and have chosen the following subjects:
units:
Advanced English - 2
Mathematics - 2
Studies of Religion - 1
Physics - 2
Economics - 2
Ancient History - 2
SLR - 1

Anyway, I wanted to know what sort of advice you could offer to me, in terms of studying, motivation and subject selection, I really want to achieve good marks for the HSC. I've also been considering dropping Advanced English down to Standard before the year starts, because I have a much better grip of English then I do maths, so I could put the effort somewhere more needed. I wanted to ask if this will have any effect on my ATAR.

Anyway, thanks again everyone and I'm looking forward to hearing any insight you can offer me for the upcoming few years.
And also, congratulations to all who received there marks these past few weeks, and best of luck to you all!

Ben.

michaeljennings

HSC
. I've also been considering dropping Advanced English down to Standard before the year starts, because I have a much better grip of English then I do maths, so I could put the effort somewhere more needed. I wanted to ask if this will have any effect on my ATAR.
NO!!!

If you are capable, always do Advanced English. Dont do standard english just because you think you can put more time into your other subjects. Standard English relative to Advanced English will be terrible for your ATAR. I would recommend you keep Advanced English

In terms of motivation etc, you will need to find a balance that suits you. You will have to balance studying, leisure time and sleeping. Its important to get enough sleep so that you dont burn out and you shouldnt study 24/7 for the same reason. Go out with friends etc whenever you can. I took Year 11 as sorta like a practice run. I never studied before Year 11 but I used it to develop studying habits which is what I think you can do too.

Last edited:

bladeys

HSC
N/A
NO!!!

If you are capable, always do Advanced English. Dont do standard english just because you think you can put more time into your other subjects. Standard English relative to Advanced English will be terrible for your ATAR. I would recommend you keep Advanced English

In terms of motivation etc, you will need to find a balance that suits you. You will have to balance studying, leisure time and sleeping. Its important to get enough sleep so that you dont burn out and you shouldnt study 24/7 for the same reason. Go out with friends etc whenever you can. I took Year 11 as sorta like a practice run. I never studied before Year 11 but I used it to develop studying habits which is what I think you can do too.
ye

inJust

HSC
My advice is take it easy. Pace yourself. Year 11 is quite easy. Just pace yourself and you'll be fine.

zombies

HSC
I'm starting yr11 this year as well. And like the people above said, it's a really really bad idea to drop to standard. If you can do advanced, do it!

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
NO NO NO!

DO NOT DROP ADVANCED ENGLISH! It's actually harder to get a band 6 in standard english than it is to in advanced english! They mark both of them the same, but the candidature are of different ability.

Keep advanced English!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm going to re-instate basically what everyone has already pointed out:

DON'T DROP DOWN TO STANDARD.

Just don't.

Don't

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry about year 11. Just enjoy your subjects and enjoy what you learn. The only thing you would need to start thinking about it would be getting your study habits in order and knowing what works best for you but just have fun and don't drop to standard :D

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
NO!!!

I'm starting yr11 this year as well. And like the people above said, it's a really really bad idea to drop to standard. If you can do advanced, do it!
NO NO NO!

DO NOT DROP ADVANCED ENGLISH! It's actually harder to get a band 6 in standard english than it is to in advanced english! They mark both of them the same, but the candidature are of different ability.

Keep advanced English!
I'm going to re-instate basically what everyone has already pointed out:

DON'T DROP DOWN TO STANDARD.

Just don't.

Don't
These guys obviously don't know what they're talking about. Standard 4 lyfe bitches!!

(don't take this seriously)

jnney

lemon
HSC
in terms of studying, different methods work for different people. treat year 11 as a test run for year 12. that way, you will find out what works best for you to prevent yourself from making any mistakes in year 12.

doing standard english will have a big impact on your atar. getting 85 in standard is not the same as getting 85 in advanced because it scales very badly.

i hope that you are doing the subjects that you like.

be consistent with your studies and have daily goals that you must accomplish.

Tangy92

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply I didn't have access to the internet for a few days. I appreciate the help, and I'll try not to drop Advanced English if I can handle it, thanks heaps for the input and help, I'm sure it'll help in future, and good luck to everyone else this year.

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't drop to Standard. It scales worse, and a lot of courses in univeristy require or have Advanced English as assumed knowledge. It's not that much harder either. You have some good scaling subjects, but you want to put good effort in subjects that you're good at (to make them better), and the ones that you're not good at as well.

If worse comes to worse, if you're good at English and bad at Maths. You can least do well at English and scale up your overall ATAR a bit.

Since you're year 11 this year, perhaps the best thing to do is get good study habits and become more organised.

Looking at your subjects, the two subjects I did get band 6 in were Ancient History and Mathematics. I didn't do too well in them in Year 11, so don't be too discouraged if you don't do too well at first. Mathematics is something that you should try a bit harder in during Year 11 though since some of the content carries onto Year 12.

delian

HSC
N/A
Yes, if you're doing OKish at Advanced, you should definitely continue it.
And pace yourself through yr11 so don't stress out too much, but of course give it a serious attempt.
Yr11 is a good practice run for Yr12.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=274430

^ More reasons why should NEVERRR EVERRR drop advanced
Also heaps of unis including UNSW give you up to two bonus points for getting band 5/6 in advanced so thats an extra incentive

In terms of studying in year 11, try hard but not too hard. Theres no point stretching year 12 out to two years especially when year 11 doesnt 'count'. My friend who absolutely smashed year 11 and got a 99+ estimate, has trouble finding motivation at the moment.
With that being said keep on top of maths and unless you want to meet a cutoff to do histx next year dont study ancient. Topics are completely different next year and it didnt really benefit me to do all the studying i did in yr 11.

HSC
Uni Grad
Just keep Advanced. It's actually better off for you because the aligning is tonnes better. Standard has barely any bonus points for uni so take that into consideration as well.

Also, for year 11, do the work, but don't worry too much if you're not getting exactly the best marks you can get, just learn to find out what your mistakes are for now. Also, year 11 is a good time to experiment before you get to year 12.

chrisman9519

HSC
well if ur good at english, keep it, if u r getting good marks keep doing that! if you suck at maths, drop that, so u can focus ur efforts on getting good marks in your good subjects.

twenty12

HSC
I'd highly recommend not dropping down to standard even if you're average at english, trust me the scaling of standard isn't worth it and you'd be better off in Advanced. Also, my advice for year 11; strengthen your maths and english skills for HSC (become brilliant at writing essays and keep a constant revision going on for maths (lots and lots of past papers)). So basically focus a lot on english and maths as these subjects are really skill based and not just rote learning.

epicFAILx

HSC
in the end it doesn't even matter.

because once you finish year 11 there is a clean slate for year12.. so dont stress, like i used too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)