Advice on MX1 (1 Viewer)

-JD

HSC
Hi,

I am soon to be starting my preliminary year. Currently my timetable is confirmed and I received all the subjects I selected (including advanced mathematics). Recently i've been considering taking up MX1 (providing I do that I will be dropping EX1 as its on the same line and my timetable is currently full + not sure about 2 extensions).

I received an 83 (Band 5) in SC Mathematics and a B9 (also in the 5.3 stream). I did do some online tests the weekend before for preparation but I don't believe I've been applying myself in mathematics as much as I could have (not really completing H/W) and could go a lot further, im also planning on taking up mathematics tutoring as well.

I know that I would know myself better than anyone but judging from my results/past efforts do you think I would be capable on going well in the MX1 course and is it worth my while?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and answer.
-JD

Tofuu

HSC
yea, if you're willing to put the effort in you should be fine
and at the start of the course, if you find it hard, don't panic, keep doing it, you should get used to it after about 2 weeks

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Maths Ext 1 is a great course if you enjoy maths and plan on putting a bit of effort in.

I don't think it's necessary to get tutoring unless the school you go to is so terrible that the maths teacher(s) are incompetent. I managed to top both adv. and ext. without tutoring, and I went to an pretty normal high school.

Also, doing both Extensions isn't difficult. I did English Ext 1 for prelim and part of my HSC - sustained high marks in both, only opting to drop Ext English because it got boring and I only wanted 10 units.

School Cert isn't a very good indicator of mathematical ability, but you have clearly grasped the concepts and done well without a high level of effort.

I'd say go for it - don't drop English Ext unless you don't want to do it. It's not as scary as it seems. Plus, you can drop either or both of them at a later stage =)

Gooooood luck!

-JD

HSC
thanks for the advice,

The reason i'd drop ex1 is just due to how the timetable works, as i'd probably have to move all my classes around and risk having to change others. I dont plan on going to ex2 if I do stick with ex1 anyway. I'll just see how the first 2 weeks go in mathematics advanced and see if im enjoying ex1.

im mainly interested in mx1 as the uni course I wish to pursuit has mathematics in it and mx1 would give me a broader knowledge, either way its no big deal as if I dont end up doing mx1 in the HSC i'd complete a bridging course before beginning uni.

also do you believe mx1 gives you an advantage and greater understanding when it comes to the advanced course?

emmcyclopedia

HSC
thanks for the advice,

The reason i'd drop ex1 is just due to how the timetable works, as i'd probably have to move all my classes around and risk having to change others. I dont plan on going to ex2 if I do stick with ex1 anyway. I'll just see how the first 2 weeks go in mathematics advanced and see if im enjoying ex1.

im mainly interested in mx1 as the uni course I wish to pursuit has mathematics in it and mx1 would give me a broader knowledge, either way its no big deal as if I dont end up doing mx1 in the HSC i'd complete a bridging course before beginning uni.

also do you believe mx1 gives you an advantage and greater understanding when it comes to the advanced course?
You're welcome =)

No question, Maths Ext 1 gives you a massive advantage in Maths Adv (imo). Some of the things regarding graphing and calculus done in Prelim Ext was also introduced in HSc maths adv - so our ext class pretty much knew the topic already. Overall, I also found it enhanced my perception and understanding of the topics - it gave me greater depth on many of the adv. topics.

Just make sure you do your homework - if you don't let yourself fall behind, you'll do great... or you'll discover that you hate the subject and drop it =P

Regarding timetables - For me, when I had maths ext, people who only did english ext had a free (because it was on the same line). And when I had english ext, people who only did maths ext had a free. It would probably be the same at your school if both are on the same line - talk to your director of studies if it isn't, because there should be a way for you to do both.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you can always drop it if it doesn't work out well

plus, mx1 is doable as long as you do past papers and your hw

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I do well in Mathematics Extension 1 and I don't even do my homework. Don't worry you should be fine as long as you put in effort.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I was like you I think.

I got 83 in my SC (A9 grade). I hardly used to do any work.

Even during Prelim Ext 1 I was ranking around 10-15 / 75 or so... (mainly thanks to a really good teacher), without doing much work.

But I picked up my game in Term 4 of Year 11 and for the first 2U assessment task (series and series appl) I got 1 mark short off first (34/40) and got 2nd.

I ended up getting E4 in MX1 and MX2 for my HSC... :)

Although, I do admit that I could've worked better for Ext 2... oh well :p

shaon0

HSC
Stay with MX1. I achieved a mid-low band 5 (i think 84 or 82) in SC and averaged 50%-60% for MX1 in year 11 where my lowest ark was 12.5% (lol). But i stuck with it. Things ended up clicking in yr12, even though i didn't do that much maths. I eventually got mid E4's for both maths.

-JD

HSC
thanks people for all the advice, very much appreciated.

Im pretty confident that I could handle mx1 as im willing to put in the effort. Im just gonna see how the first couple lessons on maths advanced go and then i'll make my decision.

adriano_negr0

HSC
appaz 1st term of yr 11 extension is easy so dont take it as a great indicator of ur potential success

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)