Advice for 1st-time driver? (1 Viewer)

gamja

HSC
Could post this in a reddit sub - but i'd like to ask the BoS bosses for this one

About to finish HSC this Friday and am planning to drive for the first time.

Family SUV will probably learn from Dad.

Any advice for someone who has never been at the wheel? How legit does my log have to be, and do I need to be doing Ls for an entire year minimum?

love ya'll

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Could post this in a reddit sub - but i'd like to ask the BoS bosses for this one

Any advice for someone who has never been at the wheel? How legit does my log have to be, and do I need to be doing Ls for an entire year minimum?

love ya'll
Do your very first drive in a place with zero cars. My first drive was a grave yard.

I got my 120 hours in as my family drives to Newcastle a lot where my grandad lives. Most people I know don’t get the 120 hours in their first year. It’s okay if you don’t.

Round your hours up, not down. Keep the hours on a nice even number so they’re easy to count (and to boost your hours).

year10studentpreparin

HSC

love ya'll
I forged 80 hours and I had logged in probs 60 legit ones
I am glad I forged 80 hours tho bc in the first page I forgot to put my rego of my car and traffic conditions which makes it invalid so glad I had that back up
passed 1stgo as well 0 instructor, 60 real hours so contact me for tips

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC

love ya'll
download the roundtrip app and use that for ur logbook
if you don't have enough hours in a years time just make them up it doesnt matter
the biggest thing that helped me was thinking about all the idiots who are able to drive safely, so surely I can do it too

although I had the advantage of having driven utes and things around orchards and on the road for years before i was 16 so I already knew how to drive lmao

but it really isn't that bad its just daunting, the big key to remember is that if something happens your first instinct has to be to hit the brake no matter what

carrotsss

HSC
definitely get lessons if you can, learning from your parents is fine for the most part but there’s a lot of sorta specific stuff that’s required by the driving test that your parents might not do

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
seconding @Unovan's recommendation of having your first instinct being to hit the brake no matter what, especially if your first few lessons aren't with an instructor. it's better to drive in a quiet area for your first attempt to avoid being too nervous, especially about crashing into things

always be careful with pressing the accelerator, even the slightest increase in force can make the car go zoom

once you get the hang of it, it's really fun

i used a digital logbook and used roundtrip (liked the aesthetics of it compared to the other available ones lol), the only downside is that it does track where you drive and stuff like that, but i also used the written one as a backup since i was so paranoid the digital one would yeet off to somewhere

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

love ya'll
DO NOT LOOK AT THE ROAD. ALWAYS DRIVE WITH LOUD MUSIC BLASTING OUT OF THE CAR!!!

dsakvyilsa

HSC

love ya'll
I love driving, its actually so fun. I forged most of mine.... defs worth doing

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Start learning in a carpark, and try to use a professional instructor as much as you can early on so you don't develop any bad habits... and again just before the test to make sure you haven't picked anything up along the way.
2. If you actually do your hours properly, you won't be phased or scared of the driving test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)