Advice and tips on subjects for year 11 (1 Viewer)

tofusenpai

HSC
Business HSC has a topic called ''Marketing'' in it.Having 2 unit Mathematics will more then equip you do the financial maths in the finance topic.
Oh I see sorry to be asking a lot of questions but do you know subjects that would be recommended for journalism or media?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh I see sorry to be asking a lot of questions but do you know subjects that would be recommended for journalism or media?
* Advanced English/Extension English

If you decide to do a communications degree; recommended knowledge of IT or be proficient at some institutions..

Bachelor of marketing/media(MQ) (Due to the marketing aspect it assumes maths knowledge)
Assumed: HSC General Mathematics, or equivalent
Recommended: HSC Mathematics, or equivalent

blackbird_14

HSC
Just weighing in on projects: they can be very time consuming! I do Music 2, and performances and compositions take so much time out of everything, including my SGP. So I'd recommend against doing 3 major projects, especially if your time management skills aren't great. (Cause you can't make up a PIP or a major design project or a body of work over the weekend...)

I'm currently doing Biology- it does have a lot of content to be remembered, but it doesn't require as high maths skills as chemistry or physics does.

blackbird_14

HSC
This isn't the case tbh - the maths level required is simply rearrangement of formulas and plotting in numbers into your calculators. HSC Physics and HSC Chem is dumbed down to suit General Maths students (which is not great). So no, you don't need to be highly skilled at maths to do chem or phys.
True- hearing my sister's opinion on the HSC Chem course I agree with you. But those who do physics (at my school anyway) are usually all doing at least mathematics, usually extension- it's unusual to find a general maths student in a physics class (kudos to anyone who does)

tofusenpai

HSC
I think it goes Society Culture, Design and Technology then Visual arts in regards to scaling.
Oh okay thanks I'll keep that in mind but I really wanna do Visual Arts but I'm a bit skeptical with the scaling

tofusenpai

HSC
Just weighing in on projects: they can be very time consuming! I do Music 2, and performances and compositions take so much time out of everything, including my SGP. So I'd recommend against doing 3 major projects, especially if your time management skills aren't great. (Cause you can't make up a PIP or a major design project or a body of work over the weekend...)

I'm currently doing Biology- it does have a lot of content to be remembered, but it doesn't require as high maths skills as chemistry or physics does.
Thanks ooh Biology I'm definitely taking it next year and I like how it doesn't really involve maths as much as the phys and chem

tofusenpai

HSC
It's good that you're considering what you want to do after school apart from obviously picking the subjects that you're inclined towards.

From experience, 2U maths is initially a jump for many (particularly if you didn't do 5.3), but if you keep up with the h/w and stay consistent, you'll be fine. Biology is basically rote learning - but if you like the things you learn, give it a go. A lot of people found the year 11 course to be complete BS; it goes through plant structures, fossils, microscopes - which wasn't very interesting, but the HSC counterpart is definitely a lot better. I also do Modern, and it's really knowing your content well and being able to construct a solid argument - but given that you like History, do Ancient and see which one you prefer.

English is just how it is; learn your text, understand its intricacies, practice essays and get feedback from teachers; repeat. That's all to it tbh.

I know that this might be vague advice, but atm, I'm pretty tired lol (w0t iz sleep in HSC lyf). Nonetheless, gl with your studies! :)

This isn't the case tbh - the maths level required is simply rearrangement of formulas and plotting in numbers into your calculators. HSC Physics and HSC Chem is dumbed down to suit General Maths students (which is not great). So no, you don't need to be highly skilled at maths to do chem or phys.
Thanks for the advice I'll try for 3U english. I'm still unsure with 2U Maths and I'm currently in 5.3 maths but I'm gettinf confused a bit so I'll see how I go. Do you know the mark needed to get to 2U?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay thanks I'll keep that in mind but I really wanna do Visual Arts but I'm a bit skeptical with the scaling

I'd say definitely do Visual Arts, the scaling doesn't impact you much as you aren't gunning for a 99+ ATAR

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice I'll try for 3U english. I'm still unsure with 2U Maths and I'm currently in 5.3 maths but I'm gettinf confused a bit so I'll see how I go. Do you know the mark needed to get to 2U?
Depends on the school. I know at my school if you wanted to do Mathematics you could and it didn't matter what your marks were.

12vie

HSC
Hey a PIP stands for Personal Interest project, you might want to do a bit of research on what it is! You basically choose a topic of interest then form a question around the topic. You have to do all your own primary research eg. interview, observation, questionnaire.
they are extremely time consuming and count as a major work. Most of your inclass society and culture lessons will be to work on your PIP during HSC.
Like someone else said, you really need to consider that your subjects entail 3 major works, plus extension eng 2 is another major work if you end up doing that! Most career advisors usually suggest no more than 2 subjects that have major works. They are extremely time consuming, require a lot of effort and thought and also they count towards a large amount of your mark for the given subject.
if you have any other questions just PM me

tofusenpai

HSC
Hey a PIP stands for Personal Interest project, you might want to do a bit of research on what it is! You basically choose a topic of interest then form a question around the topic. You have to do all your own primary research eg. interview, observation, questionnaire.
they are extremely time consuming and count as a major work. Most of your inclass society and culture lessons will be to work on your PIP during HSC.
Like someone else said, you really need to consider that your subjects entail 3 major works, plus extension eng 2 is another major work if you end up doing that! Most career advisors usually suggest no more than 2 subjects that have major works. They are extremely time consuming, require a lot of effort and thought and also they count towards a large amount of your mark for the given subject.
if you have any other questions just PM me
Thanks!

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
The only advice I can really drop off here is. My god, is the step up to English Extension 1, a light year away from English Advanced.

milkshakequeen

HSC
I heard Modern history was better for some people as well so thanks for the advice :)
Modern History consists of a A LOT of essay writing, not sure about Ancient, maybe its the same, but if you don't enjoy writing essays I wouldn't suggest it. (Most likely going to be dropping Modern before Yr 12).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)