Advice and tips on subjects for year 11 (1 Viewer)

tofusenpai

HSC
Hi for year 11 I need help for my subject selection which is drawing near and here is what I have so far.

2U Maths
2U English (Considering extension)
Modern/ Ancient History (or both)
Visual Arts
Design and Technology
Biology
Society and Culture

photastic

HSC
Hi for year 11 I need help for my subject selection which is drawing near and here is what I have so far.

2U Maths
Visual Arts
Design and Technology
Biology
Society and Culture
What do you need help with?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What degree/university/ATAR are you aiming for?

tofusenpai

HSC
What do you need help with?
Like advice or tips in each subject just like the experience you got from them or what it's like. Also I need to pick 12 units only and I need to take off 2. I wanted to know if Modern or Ancient history is better than the other or if both would be too much or alright and also DNT

tofusenpai

HSC

12vie

HSC
Hey there, I'm doing society and culture and also extension English
If your thinking of becoming a Journalist it would probably be best to do the top English you are capable of! Extension 1 is basically just a lot of in-depth studies of texts. You go through different genre type categories then at the end of prelim course as a class you pick one of the genre's to study for HSC. eg Romantics, After the Bomb or Sci-fi (there are about 12 I think)
Also extension English 2 is offered at the end of prelim, the whole course is basically just a major work and a small assessment; I'd look into that course to see if it's something you would like and be good at and that will help you decide whether or not to do extension 1 in yr11.
With Society and culture it is a lot of work and a lot of independent research! At the moment I'm doing the mini PIP, it's really time consuming and not even half of the major PIP! I'd recommend going into yr 11 knowing an area of topic you want to base your PIP on so as you can apply the research information to your topic as soon as possible!
Hope this helps a little

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Over 85. I was thinking about becoming a paediatrician but I don't think I could survive 7 years of med. I'm not that good at maths as well to add. My best subjects are Commerce, History and English. I was thinking of becoming a journalist. The degree I want to do atm is the combined degree of design and Media at UNSW. Link: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/4818.html
I know people who did both and it was fine. Modern is meant to scale better and people tend to enjoy it more...

If you are good at commerce maybe consider business studies?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
It's probably also worth considering doing Ext English as it is meant to be a lot more enjoyable then Advanced!
However it does tend to be a lot of work for a one unit subject. If you choose a history you can also have the option of taking extension history.

tofusenpai

HSC
Hey there, I'm doing society and culture and also extension English
If your thinking of becoming a Journalist it would probably be best to do the top English you are capable of! Extension 1 is basically just a lot of in-depth studies of texts. You go through different genre type categories then at the end of prelim course as a class you pick one of the genre's to study for HSC. eg Romantics, After the Bomb or Sci-fi (there are about 12 I think)
Also extension English 2 is offered at the end of prelim, the whole course is basically just a major work and a small assessment; I'd look into that course to see if it's something you would like and be good at and that will help you decide whether or not to do extension 1 in yr11.
With Society and culture it is a lot of work and a lot of independent research! At the moment I'm doing the mini PIP, it's really time consuming and not even half of the major PIP! I'd recommend going into yr 11 knowing an area of topic you want to base your PIP on so as you can apply the research information to your topic as soon as possible!
Hope this helps a little
Yes this does help thank you :) btw what's a PIP? lol I was thinking of extension english but I'm worried about the scaling and how I'd do against the state

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

2U Maths
Visual Arts
Design and Technology
Biology
Society and Culture
You also need to consider that fact if you do Society and culture, Design and Technology, and Visual Arts you will end up doing 3 major works.

I personally think you may find it easier just to do 1-2 but I guess it also depends on your time management skills. (Extension history also have a major work component)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes this does help thank you :) btw what's a PIP? lol I was thinking of extension english but I'm worried about the scaling and how I'd do against the state
Extension English has good scaling.If you enjoy English (and are good at it) then its definitely worth doing.

tofusenpai

HSC
I know people who did both and it was fine. Modern is meant to scale better and people tend to enjoy it more...

I'm dropping commerce because my eyes can't hold up anymore in the lessons even though I do mock trial and debating I don't think I can do the job irl. I don't have much interest in thr subject so yea. I heard Modern history was better for some people as well so thanks for the advice :)

tofusenpai

HSC

I'm dropping commerce because my eyes can't hold up anymore in the lessons even though I do mock trial and debating I don't think I can do the job irl. I don't have much interest in the subject so yea. I heard Modern history was better for some people as well so thanks for the advice :)

tofusenpai

HSC
You also need to consider that fact if you do Society and culture, Design and Technology, and Visual Arts you will end up doing 3 major works.

I personally think you may find it easier just to do 1-2 but I guess it also depends on your time management skills. (Extension history also have a major work component)
Thanks for that I was aware of DT and Art but not aware about Society and Culture so thanks :). Also do you know which one would scale better?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm dropping commerce because my eyes can't hold up anymore in the lessons even though I do mock trial and debating I don't think I can do the job irl. I don't have much interest in the subject so yea. I heard Modern history was better for some people as well so thanks for the advice :)
I think business studies may help you with media.. Plus its not that difficult to get good marks if you put in a bit of effort.

tofusenpai

HSC
I think business studies may help you with media.. Plus its not that difficult to get good marks if you put in a bit of effort.
I'll consider that. Is it like marketing and advertising? Do you need financial maths for that or is that just for Economics?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I'll consider that. Is it like marketing and advertising? Do you need financial maths for that or is that just for Economics?
Business HSC has a topic called ''Marketing'' in it.Having 2 unit Mathematics will more then equip you do the financial maths in the finance topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)