Advantages of Having a Laptop for the HSC (1 Viewer)

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
what are the advantages?

i know i wish i had one to take to school to take down everything my english and modern history teachers say. and also to have at my study desk to keep all my notes rather than... 6 MASSIVE ring binder folders.

p.s. im trying to justify to my parents why i should be getting a laptop now, not after the HSC.

Last edited:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Disadvantage:
- Distraction. Outweighs all advantages for me :( Not gonna stop me from getting one though :haha:

LordPc

HSC
I think studies have shown that you cant listen and write at the same time and effectively retain the information. I would assume that a similar correlation exists between listening and typing.

if you have a long bus/train ride to school, then you could make better use of that time

and isnt the hsc like right around the corner? so how much use could it be?

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i gotta get my mountain of notes and handouts in order. i feel the best way is laptop.

shady145

Banned
HSC
Disadvantage:
- Distraction. Outweighs all advantages for me :( Not gonna stop me from getting one though :haha:
yes this a very large distraction for me...
benefit: store and use elctronic copies of exams instead of printing them all.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Not worth it at this point in time, you should have finished all the real bulk of note-taking.

Slows your handwriting, the distraction factor is massive, why not wait until after the HSC then claim a good laptop as a 'reward' for your study slavery?

loz1

HSC
my parents spent 2 grand on a laptop for me earlier on in the year for my hsc and it has only put distractions on me (e.g. bos, facebook etc) and after writing hundreds of pages of typed notes, i can barely write 6 pages in 40 minutes..
now i'm gunna have to retrain myself to write fast for the exams, i pretty much died in my trials because i hadn't written so much in that long.
i definately regret getting a laptop for my hsc:mad1:

Dumbledore

HSC
I think studies have shown that you cant listen and write at the same time and effectively retain the information. I would assume that a similar correlation exists between listening and typing.

if you have a long bus/train ride to school, then you could make better use of that time

and isnt the hsc like right around the corner? so how much use could it be?
this is so true for me

in physics, i struggle to write down the notes and listen to what the teacher is explaining at the same time, this guy with a laptop ends up typing up the notes like 5x faster than i write and just listens to the teacher for the rest of the time

just disable internet, or not get it to get rid of the distraction part, you shouldn't even be able to connect that easily in school

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm one for the laptops/netbooks for school (and I'll be getting one shortly for next year).

I've weighed out the pros and cons for it, and there isn't much going against using a computer for notes and work (except the big factor that you still need to be able to write... but there are plenty of other times to write).

Pros:
- Very organised format (you might be able to read your own notes now! Yay)
- Portable - beats 6 massive folders
- Gets rid of carrying textbooks as well (most textbooks have a CD now. I will be loading that onto the netbook and just using that)
- Easy access to internet and resources when you need them at school (this requires self control as well)

I can't really see anything bad with, but people will argue the following I guess:
- You could lose your files - I save a copy on the HDD, a flash drive and also on the internet in SkyDrive.
- Can't remember notes when they're typed - personal thing. I have no issues remembering things that are typed. In fact, it's more sucinct for me.

You should have had one. You can still get one now if you wish :p... but better when starting the year off.

astroe

HSC
LOL.
Me buying a laptop this time last year was an epic mistake.
All I did was go on the net and go on facebook (the school has free wifi).

Typing stuff down just leaves me puzzled, because when you write things at least you can show links and draw arrows and pictures and stuff. It's just too hard on a laptop whilst doing it when the teacher is speaking, for me anyway.

Nowadays the laptop just sits on my shelf, gathering dust. :p
Plus, its heaps heavy! >.< (16 inch model is not portable LOL)
Pretty much brand new, less than 20MB of word doc notes I made. LOL.

Maybe I should sell it? :haha:

Advantages:
- Internet access
- Bragging rights
- 320GB iPod. :p

Disadvantages:
- Won't get much done
- Internet access
- Cost

If you can control yourself, go for it!
But you won't know unless you get one. I was full on like "Yeah, I'll totally do work and shit" and I did nothing. LOL.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you can do "homework" while sitting on the couch watching television. :p Having a laptop means that you have more time to study

-Onlooker-

HSC
Harder?

How do you even do maths on a laptop. Reading formulas and examples dosen't count as doing math.

LittleMyle

HSC
I hate doing math on a computer. I find it much easier to write it and then scan it if I need it on the computer.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I had my laptop since year nine, and I convinced my parents by telling them I was going to write a novel and publish it.
Maybe tomorrow.
I think you shouldn't get one now, wait til uni.
Disadvantage: Distractor - time flies while on the laptop (for me at least)
Advantage: Really efficient, great in storing notes, assignments etc

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
The more you write shit by hand the better off you will be come exam time.

I have one for uni now and i can barely write half a page anymore without my hand cramping up.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's harder to do Maths on a laptop.
Maths and some exercises in the sciences I will have to do on paper.

^ Too bad to the OP about not being able to do anything in class with the laptop... procrastinator! rofl

chickn

HSC
Hey - are any of you guys interested in filling out some questions about using a computer in exam situations (HSC?) as the government are looking to implement this by 2012.

I am writing a feature article on it.
If you are interested, either locate one of my other posts or email me for the questions.

Thanks,
Jess
jess@creativityabounds.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)