Advanced English dilemna (1 Viewer)

Year10er

HSC
Hey guys.

I think I really need some advice. Today my English Head Teacher told me that I am not eligible for Advanced English because my marks aren't good enough / my rank isn't high enough. They say they can only put the top 60 in Advanced English.

But I really don't want to Standard because it's nearly impossible to get a band 5, let alone a Band 6, and I have heard it's an atar killer and will hurt your HSC really badly.

I don't know what to do? If I take Standard, I am scared it will bring my ATAR down by so much.

Please help:(

shakky

HSC
Ok, firstly, If your teacher recommends it than do it. Trust me if you do advance you will be competing with really talented people in the state- remember english is an art and is not easy. It only scales well if you get band 5 or 6. Band 4 and below, and your atar could be hurt badly. Standard actually scales average, not good and not bad. If you do really well in other subjects you should be fine, but you are right, getting a band 6 is competitive, but band 5 is quite easily achievable.
Secondly, if you do advance and are struggling, it will affect your concentration on other subjects, which is not what you want. I would discuss this matter with your year advisor, HT, parents and the principle. My advice is, don't pick a subject because "its good for your atar", pick things which are suitable, enjoyable and much compatible to your needs and interest. Good luck!

Year10er

HSC
I have heard that only 5% of the state gets a Band 5 in Standard, and like 0.2% get a Band 6.

Can't they at least let me try Advanced? Besides, I've heard that the difference in terms of difficulty between Advanced & Standard is small.

jadenmaccas

HSC
I honestly believe you should take English Advanced. Remember, it is your right to take the subjects you want. The head teacher can't say that you can't do it because you are not within a high rank - if you complain they might use background excuses such as insufficient teaching staff, class sizes etc.
Yes there are records which identity those terrible English Standard band statistics. On the other hand, there is a much higher percentage of people getting band 5s and 6s in English Advanced. DO ADVANCED. I was in a similar siatuation where I didn't get physics due to my rank (being in the high 30s), and I eventually made it because people dropped out of them! Choose Advanced English for your freedom to control that ATAR aim of yours!

Year10er

HSC
But what do I do if the school doesn't let me do it?

Contact the BOS?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
lol tell her to fuck off.

She can't not let you do Advance since it is a compulsory subject.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
But what do I do if the school doesn't let me do it?

Contact the BOS?
Yes, call them and make a big deal out of it. In other words when you call them complain, complain and complain and tell them to help you.

Year10er

HSC
But what can I do if the school doesn't have the capacity; my school says they can only have the top 60 people in the grade do Advanced, and the rest do Standard, therefore I am not eligible. My rank is like 123.

What's the difference between Advanced & Standard anyway? Why do people assume there is such a huge difference between the two?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Advanced aligns better than Standard, so that's why it's easier to get a Band 6 in it.

Year10er

HSC
Ok, but if one sucks at English, it does not really help in Advanced...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Standard and Advanced are pretty much the same difficulty. If you're even remotely good at English, do Advanced.

Year10er

HSC
But my school has this rule that only the top 60 people in the grade can do Advanced. It's not in my hands.

Just how badly will doing Standard affect my ATAR?

1981Grant

HSC
I'm pretty sure if you start kicking up shit and show that you're willing to put in effort to do well in english they will reconsider letting you into the subject. But you're going to have to work like a bitch to get good marks.

Year10er

HSC
It's too late now. The year is almost done, reports are being done, marks and grades are being finalized. The only thing left is the SC on Monday.

Alkanes

HSC
Might change decision if you kill SC. Goodluck

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Fight to do the subjects you want to do. For english I don't understand being denied it because they have to offer enough english classes for all the kinds in a year anyway cause it's compulsory.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
as an english teacher I cant prevent the student from doing the level of english they wisnh- ican recommend against it but the BOS doesnt allow schools to tell students what levels to do. as well you could move to advanced english in term 4 next year anyway because year 11 english has no impact on the HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)