adv sciences.. r they hard?? (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
heyz all!!! i am currently enrolled in b sci (adv math)... durin the enrollment day, i say those lil things called adv subjects... bein curious as i am, i took up all adv subjects in my first yr (except the 6 credit pt of elective)...

so is adv subjects hard?? am i suicidin??

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i did advanced chem for half a semester and i found it difficult. Its not the work that is so hard, but the pace at which it is covered, its hard to keep up, especially if you havent had time yet to go over concepts that u didnt understand from previous lectures yet. I dropped it, but it didnt make any difference to my degree anyways since i transferred out. Regular chem was just slower, you had time to grasp concepts before moving on to the next one, it just suited me better.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Mambomeg
i did advanced chem for half a semester and i found it difficult. Its not the work that is so hard, but the pace at which it is covered, its hard to keep up, especially if you havent had time yet to go over concepts that u didnt understand from previous lectures yet. I dropped it, but it didnt make any difference to my degree anyways since i transferred out. Regular chem was just slower, you had time to grasp concepts before moving on to the next one, it just suited me better.
okz, i am dead ain't i?? =(

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
In first year I did advanced physics, advanced maths and advanced chemistry. The material itself isn't that hard it's just that the lecturer mows through the material. You have to work harder to keep up, but when exams come round you reap the benefits of enormous scaling in favour of the advanced students.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
coolz... so it lyk scale up yes??

=) yea, now there's soemthing... i am prolly nto dead after all...

stag_j

can anyone give extra info about the scaling?
i'm doing electrical engineering + adv. science, and i was looking at what it takes to get engineering honours - a GWAM > 75.
it occured to me that my marks would be lower doing the advanced courses, since i wasnt aware that there was any scaling at uni. i take it i was wrong, and will be helping myself in getting honours by doing the advanced course?

memo

Originally posted by stag_j
can anyone give extra info about the scaling?
i'm doing electrical engineering + adv. science, and i was looking at what it takes to get engineering honours - a GWAM > 75.
it occured to me that my marks would be lower doing the advanced courses, since i wasnt aware that there was any scaling at uni. i take it i was wrong, and will be helping myself in getting honours by doing the advanced course?
The advanced units usually scale very well. You shouldnt be disadvantaged in anyway doing advanced units.

santaslayer

HSC
yea...unless u stuff ur adv units up then u would be prolly be doubly penalised

stag_j

Originally posted by memo
The advanced units usually scale very well. You shouldnt be disadvantaged in anyway doing advanced units.
can anyone give me a link to info on the uni website?
i've had a reasonable look and havent come up with anything even mentioning it

memo

Originally posted by stag_j
can anyone give me a link to info on the uni website?
i've had a reasonable look and havent come up with anything even mentioning it
Talk to the year adviser of the subject.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate
.... You have to work harder to keep up, but when exams come round you reap the benefits of enormous scaling in favour of the advanced students.
how does uni. scaling work?

yeah, i hope i'm not suiciding for choosing advanced subjects either. :s

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
No, definitely not! :p Provided you do something instead of suffering from long term all-studied-out-ness from the hsc...

The scaling works in most subjects, though you might want to reconsider doing advanced 'english' sciences like biology.
And maybe software.

Note that the people in the advanced pracs will generally have a sl. different attitude towards group work. i.e. they'll be somewhat easier to nudge into completing something.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by BlackJack
... though you might want to reconsider doing advanced 'english' sciences like biology....
*freezes*

*shatters*

*cries*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, anyways, i wanted to ask whats the point of having advanced subjects when all they do there is just go faster and cover the same content as the standard course anyway?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
A) putting in zero amount of study during semester is extremely bad.

B) Don't stress over the biology (advanced). One of the best things is that you getto do a personal project. Of your own choice for living systems in 2nd semester.
The problem with their scaling is that they actually scale the results to fit a curve. So each year some people HAVE to just get passes and vice versa for HD, regardless of the whole year's performance.
I have a gripe with it because I'm like middle of the road in terms of essay skills. The only reason bio is my worst mark.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I'll reiterate. For biology, it's better if you're a good student compared to the class average.
Either that, or just expect pass, or credits (or distinctions).

It's not really difficult, just annoying to the average maths freak.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...It's not really difficult, just annoying to the average maths freak.
yeah, i don't like writing too much essays and memorising stuff- thats why i like physics and chem...although chem. does expect u to do more writing i'm guessing. :uhoh:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I'll reiterate. For biology, it's better if you're a good student compared to the class average.
Either that, or just expect pass, or credits (or distinctions).

It's not really difficult, just annoying to the average maths freak.
okz, which bascially means... i am dead....

uhm, should i start to write my will right away??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)