Actuarial (1 Viewer)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
What the actual fck is going on in that thing 😭 I wanted to do actuarial until I saw this

...xD

HSC
second year actl. what i showed looks like heiroglyphics but its actually fun once you do it and learn how each component of these type of transition integral works. ACTL2102 if you wanted to know
Do you know what the approximate drop out rates usually are? I went to all the open days and the people will not tell me about it which is very suspicious.

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
I've been told that the graduation cohort tends to be a mere 10% of all the students that went into the course. I believe it is not the course itself that is difficult but the final exams are crazy hard.

idkkdi

HSC
thats not readily available information and im not really counting so idk. some people drop cuz its hard but others drop in favour of courses they think would be more worthwhile.

correct the finals tend to be difficult, but its also the course itself that is hard, not just the final. 10% is way too low btw.
are the courses conceptually hard? ive heard being good at actl's being able to use a bunch of big formulas compared to per se pure maths where you need to prove weird ass shit

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Do you know what the approximate drop out rates usually are? I went to all the open days and the people will not tell me about it which is very suspicious.
Imo the drop rates are mostly caused by people realising that they don't like the course since a lot of people pick it due to liking 3u/4u maths - whereas the course is more statistics/financial maths/probability

...xD

HSC
Imo the drop rates are mostly caused by people realising that they don't like the course since a lot of people pick it due to liking 3u/4u maths - whereas the course is more statistics/financial maths/probability
That makes so much more sense. How different is the math in actuarial compared to just say the math in the stats/ financial/ probability units in the 3u cambridge textbook (I only do 3u so that also might be a big problem lol)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That makes so much more sense. How different is the math in actuarial compared to just say the math in the stats/ financial/ probability units in the 3u cambridge textbook (I only do 3u so that also might be a big problem lol)
Question is why you are doing 3u and not 4u IMO.
That might be a good indicator as to whether actuarial studies is the right path for you.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Most of my subjects were statistics and I don't remember doing statistics in high school so I wouldn't say it's that similar. The only thing that SLIGHTLY carried over was financial maths from doing 2u maths, but they teach you that in uni anyway (it made way more sense in uni I think)

Also I do know a couple of people that did 3u maths only but struggled with some exams, so it's definitely not impossible but yeah it'll be a struggle probably. It's not that 4u maths content carries over (it pretty much didn't), it's more like doing 4u probably means that the person will have an easier chance of picking up the harder statistics concepts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)