Actuarial/Adv maths at uni (1 Viewer)

hscc

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone. I'm currently in year 12 and I'm going for co-op Actuarial studies at UNSW. I was just wondering, they also have advanced mathematics for co-op. I'm unsure of the difference and which one to put as my first preference. Could someone please clarify? Thanks! :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Adv. Math for Co-op is new for 2017, so there isn't much information available on it, but from what I gathered at some information nights + the website, it's very statistics based. My understanding is that Acturial is mostly focused on financial risk and the like, whilst Adv. Math would be more statistics in general (probably applied sciences and things like that).

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Oh, and I should note that outside the Co-op program, Adv. Maths is much wider (in the sense that you can major in Applied or Pure, instead of Stats).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi everyone. I'm currently in year 12 and I'm going for co-op Actuarial studies at UNSW. I was just wondering, they also have advanced mathematics for co-op. I'm unsure of the difference and which one to put as my first preference. Could someone please clarify? Thanks! :)
What's the difference between Actuarial and Maths? Actuarial is Actuarial, Mathematics is Mathematics. They're different things. They're catered towards different career paths and different interests

I'm not really sure what the question is asking - you put the one you like more as your first preference

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I'm aware, if you're doing Actuarial Co-op, you have to take it as a single degree.

If you don't get the Co-op offer, then you are free to do Actuarial/Adv Maths.

As for whether you should put Actuarial (Co-op) or Actuarial/Adv Maths as your first preference, I'll leave that question for Actuarial people to answer.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
From what I'm aware, if you're doing Actuarial Co-op, you have to take it as a single degree.

As for whether you should put Actuarial (Co-op) or Actuarial/Adv Maths as your first preference, I'll leave that question for Actuarial people to answer.
For 2017 UNSW is offering Adv Math (Co-op) which is what OP was asking about, I think.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
For 2017 UNSW is offering Adv Math (Co-op) which is what OP was asking about, I think.
Misread it haha

Read the title and thought they were asking about the combined degree Actuarial/Adv Maths.

leehuan

HSC

From a first year's perspective:

@OP. I was briefly contemplating doing co-op myself. In ways it can be good, simply because of co-op is. Additionally, since there were no applications for it open, I didn't bother with maths co-op either.

But then I realised, what do I want? I love my maths. So I decided no, I'll forsake the money and pursue a passion instead.

Opinions on the degree are something I'll have to leave for later year students, since I'm taking my first ACTL unit this upcoming semester.
Are you sure? I believe they released three offers for 2016, but the applications were so quick that when I was not informed about it, I completely missed it. https://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/notic...1st-year-advanced-maths-students-program-3956

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)