Accounting question (1 Viewer)

mismatch

HSC
I am going to do a cadetship under the tax division. My friend told me B Bus at UTS with two sub majors would help me more towards my CA, however many firms promote B Law/ B Bus in the law division. Why is that? By doing a double degree, would it be harder for me to get my CA since I am not allowed to do sub majors under my Business degree?

mattchan

HSC

M@C D@DDY

HSC
heard that you don't even need to do an accounting major for CA, friend who works at big4 says that they pay for a 6 months bridging course which fulfills the university requirements of CA pre-req.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
M@C D@DDY said:
heard that you don't even need to do an accounting major for CA, friend who works at big4 says that they pay for a 6 months bridging course which fulfills the university requirements of CA pre-req.
As far as I know, that offer doesn't apply to everyone. For the TC who's on a cadetship, check your contract as I'm pretty sure it would stipulate somewhere you have to ensure that you pick the correct subjects in order to commence CA... unless the firm does not require you to undertake CA after university (which might be the case since you're in Tax rather than Audit).

In response to your actual question, as others pointed out, when doing a double degree you usually can only do one major in Commerce or Business which means a lot of your CA pre-reqs will be left out and require you to study them at another time... however that being said, from memory, UTS structures their Accounting major in such a way that it incorporates all the CA pre-reqs; but you better verify this for yourself since I'm not entirely sure.

turtleface

HSC
yeah I agree although you don't have to do the CA pre req subjects technically, in practice Big 4 require you to have done CA subjects before employing you in accounting lines.

I think that CA rule is designed more for people changing careers (eg engineers, lawyers, non accounting finance people to accounting), so they don't have to do a Masters applied commerce or similar conversion course if they for some reason have some accounting knowledge. Most likely they'll still have to do a Grad Diploma in accounting in addition to the CA as its difficult to envisage where people are going to pick up the technical standards exposure, some of the costing techniques, audit methodologies etc. without having done accounting at uni before, hence it is unlikely they will pass the CA entrance diagnostic exam. This way it helps people like say ex-lawyers so they don't have to repeat Corporate law, tax law, management units so as to meet CA pre-reqs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)