accounting or finance? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Accounting probably has better prospects because Finance is tough I think.

Alot of people do both though^^

ace

is retired
HSC
There are more students doing accounting than finance. However find which interests you first. You normally don't have to elect majors straight away anyways. Use that time to discover what you'll want to pursue. Don't just leap into things and hope it works out (cause most often than not, it doesn't).

E.g. I choose finance over accounting, cause after actually experiencing accounting subjects, i've found its just not for me.

Cheers

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
ace said:
There are more students doing accounting than finance.
How do you know? I think those two are about the same at UNSW, maybe accounting a little more, but it should be very close.

seremify007 said:
Accounting probably has better prospects because Finance is tough I think.
I think Accounting is tougher than Finance.

mojako

HSC
Affinity said:
think mojako is in 2nd year though :p
i am but i do bcom/beng so im... 1st yr commerce

but its better for my timetabling if i choose major straight away coz i only do 4 core courses... need 4 more if i want to do comm only in the yr

ace

is retired
HSC
MAICHI said:
How do you know? I think those two are about the same at UNSW, maybe accounting a little more, but it should be very close.
By looking at the class allocation pages which lists how many people are enrolled in what etc. I just took a look at the later year cores and accounting numbers were higher than later year finance cores. Also, the fact so many people do accounting as a safety net as opposed to say finance.

Though it doesn't matter which has more students, just do what you like I say.

Cheerio

Capitalist

HSC
The obvious answer is just to do what you like more.

If you're intent on working in the Engo industry however, then accounting will be more useful in my opinion, as you'll eventually move to the managerial level.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with that. Accounting will give you more flexibility and options, as it is a broad business management discipline (rather than simply number crunching from 1A/1B)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
MAICHI said:
I think Accounting is tougher than Finance.
Serious? I thought Finance students had a tougher time getting a job than Accounting with the super-high-expectations of the IBs? *shrugs* That's the impression I got from the people who applied for MB.

Btw (to whoever's interested), people who study Finance can go into other areas like Consultancy- my tutor did not get into MB, but ended up getting a job in Accenture (ie. Arthur Anderson's consultancy arm).

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Serious? I thought Finance students had a tougher time getting a job than Accounting with the super-high-expectations of the IBs? *shrugs* That's the impression I got from the people who applied for MB.
Yeah IB is tough, but you don't really need to do finance to get in. When I say tough, I mean it's tough at uni, like the accounting subjects are much harder than finance.

joycelai87 said:
i did very badly in those two subjects, relative to other cores and 1st yr finance subjects.

i actually did try and put in an equal amount of time, so its not like i slacked off in accounting cos i hated it.
Yeah, it's the same for everyone I reckon. I tried harder for accounting than economics, but the mark difference between those two is amazing, economics consistenly 10+ marks higher for both session.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
MAICHI said:
When I say tough, I mean it's tough at uni, like the accounting subjects are much harder than finance.
How can you keep saying this when you have not done much of either subjects except for the cores...

yook

HSC
if youre doing both majors
which sub is better to take in first sem
legt1711 or fins1612

Capitalist

HSC
Serious? I thought Finance students had a tougher time getting a job than Accounting with the super-high-expectations of the IBs?
IBs are not the only employers of finance students. The finance industry is huge, IB only makes up a proportion of it.

In terms of finding a job however, yes, accounting would be easier to get into, since a shortage exists.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
True that Capitalist- but IBs is sortof where a lot of people are hoping for correct? Nonetheless, I agree with you that Accounting is probably easier to get a job.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
redslert said:
How can you keep saying this when you have not done much of either subjects except for the cores...
Sorry, I take that back then, let's just say that the core is harder.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
insurance companies, and superannuation and managed funds also hire finance students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)