Accounting Cadetship Night - 21st of May, THIS THURSDAY! (1 Viewer)

panchalr

90+ UAI
HSC
LOL i went to that ... pretty good eveing ..

HEAPS OF FREE SHIT

i got 10 cans ... 5 laser light thingy's ... 3 soccer balls ... 2 minearal water thing .( was shit ... 6 rubix cubes ... n other shit ...

great day though!!!

s2Vicki

[untitled]
HSC
For what it's worth, we do notice these things. I tried to involve a large group of people into all my conversations to reduce the focus/attention on a single person (or parent...) :)
but i was already with 2 friends and i think that's enough people for one rep. the thing was that she took all of the rep's attention and i couldn't even hear her questions or the rep's answers so my friends and i just left.

memento

HSC
Um... You get weekly payment.
i'm happy with weekly and fortnightly, monthly is way too long.

Whilst some firms are very open to negotiating, you need to keep in mind the risks you run if you try for something like that. A lot of jobs, particularly in Big 4 cadetships, depend on you being there as a full timer to get the benefits. When you have 2 weeks of training, or a client whereby you finish one evening, and then the next day you have something to move onto, etc... if you have to keep breaking it up and come to work at odd hours, then it becomes alot harder for you to get continuity in your development and this could lead to you becoming the odd-job person. That is, in the team whenever someone doesn't finish their work or there is a small (not too challenging) task to do, they will ask you to do it since you aren't able to commit for the more challenging/more time consuming tasks which will take time both to coach you, and time for you to perform as well as do any follow ups to review points from your seniors.

Apologies if the above doesn't make much sense, but basically, whilst firms may be flexible, it could also put you in a tough spot too if you have a very awkward timetable since you will miss out on some good development opportunities which only full time staff would receive. That being said, some experience is still better than none at all.
I wasn't aware of the importance of continuity in the development.
So what is a typical task that you've got?

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
i went to that evening... i have to say i expected better than that...
some of youse may have seen me. weatinf a blue suit with a red tie:p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I wasn't aware of the importance of continuity in the development.
So what is a typical task that you've got?
The importance of continuity lies in that as you do something, you will get more involved in the steps which occur before and after your step.

For example (in audit), when you first start out in your first month or so, you may need to do something simple like vouching invoices back to accounting records (a transaction listing). Then, as you get more experienced, you will be coached on how to handle issues such as when things don't agree or work out as smoothly as anticipated, the actual selection of the transactions from the listing, the methodology used to calculate the number of items required to be selected, the appropriate way to validate/test an account (aka a category of transactions),.... eventually you get to the point where you are able to get a set of financial accounts, identify which balances are risky, come up with suitable ways to gain comfort over them and your juniors will go through the development cycle with you coaching them until they can do it themselves.

I probably could have worded that a lot better but in short, if you have continuity in terms of being available to be coached, your development will benefit greatly. This is obviously a grossly simplified example since there's alot more to it than just that (e.g. interpretation of accounting standards, conceptualising riskiness, identifying areas of likely misstatement, identifying implications, understanding systems and processes which mitigate risks, etc...)

Btw I'm not saying if you aren't around you won't get that development opportunity, but if you are on a team and the seniors/managers know you are going to be there for a longer period of time, they will probably be more willing to coach you since you will be able to complete the work, as well as do any necessary follow up.

RuffWoof

HSC
Hey I have a question

When describing/ listing our achievements, what is the earliest year that is acceptable? e.g. yr 9 or yr 10?

Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey I have a question

When describing/ listing our achievements, what is the earliest year that is acceptable? e.g. yr 9 or yr 10?

Thanks
Depends how significant you felt they were- remember from the reviewer's perspective, if you are listing stuff from further back, it either must be super important/good/relevant, or you are really grasping for straws.

On another note, it's not a competition to see who can list the most.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
more than one lady friend right namu =P ?
I don't know what you are talking about. *innocent grin*

But seriously, that place was so full of people...but considering that application count can go up to 2000 for some Big 4s...it wasn't that many. I reckon there were like 500 maximum on that night, I think?

omniscience

HSC
N/A
I was there ye.

I was surrounded by like 10 people at a time so no one would have noticed me except times when I went out of way to meet my bos friends...*wink at like 20 people*
ur the dude with rugby boys around u right?
ur the dude with girls around u right?
ur the dude with cigarette next to u right?
ur the dude with nerdy friends next to u right?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ur the dude with rugby boys around u right?
ur the dude with girls around u right?
ur the dude with cigarette next to u right?
ur the dude with nerdy friends next to u right?
true, um..., false, um....half true&false

Last edited:

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I don't know what you are talking about. *innocent grin*

But seriously, that place was so full of people...but considering that application count can go up to 2000 for some Big 4s...it wasn't that many. I reckon there were like 500 maximum on that night, I think?
yeah, something like 500...
but it felt much more as soon as the seminar thingy finished and everyone rushed to the the exhibiting area, couldnt even breathe in there for the first 15 minutes..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
yeah, something like 500...
but it felt much more as soon as the seminar thingy finished and everyone rushed to the the exhibiting area, couldnt even breathe in there for the first 15 minutes..
2000 applicants and some companies like Deloitte only take 15!!!

chance is less than 1% lol

I just have to kill the resume section.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
lol dont worry, you'll most probably get in namu :)

a friend of mine from my school got cadetship from my school last year, and if he can, you definitely can!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lol dont worry, you'll most probably get in namu :)

a friend of mine from my school got cadetship from my school last year, and if he can, you definitely can!!!
Nah, man. You have a better chance than I do

But thanks anyway, hopefully we both get in =)

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Nah, man. You have a better chance than I do

But thanks anyway, hopefully we both get in =)
sif!! im scared about the interview part, im really crap at interviews :(
and im only gonna get an interview if I have a good resume, which atm I dont...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)