acceleration?? (1 Viewer)

what do u think of people who have accelerated?

• good for them

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • nerds

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • hate them

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

jessum

HSC
is anyone out there accelerated? grade skipping specifically, maybe more than one grade?
coz im starting primary research for my society and culture PIP, and need some sort of info. dont know what yet...
also does anyones school have lots of accelerants?
basically ANYTHING at all about accelerants would be great.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i accelerated in mathematics.. i did okay. i wanna do better so i'm doing it again :)

also, what ive noticed is that students that accelerate need to be really concienciuos. like my school out of a class of 18, i think only 3 decided not to repeat. also what i figure is that acclerants are at a one year disadvantge because HSC students are about a year older than them. within that one year, students can learn and tie links with other subjects. in some cases its a good thing, and in others its pretty ugly.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
hahaha... what kind of weird poll is that?

the only way to get ahead is to start early or have a faster speed than others.

accelerating = starting early and increasing the speed.

therefore if getting ahead and doing well is your main priority then accelerating is the way to go. on the other hand deccelerating is detrimental to your goal. :)

aud

HSC
What do you mean by acceleration? HSC Distinction and Accelerated Courses or actual acceleration in school? Cause I accelerated through Kindergarten and now I'm a year younger than everyone, but yea... if you need to know anything or opinion or such, PM me or add me to MSN

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Hey Jess, you could always talk to seb. Although you may have been down that road etc already.

jessum

HSC
yeh i considered him, but he got away too fast before i started my primary research. not that ive really started yet... if u could maybe ask him for me, that would be great, but if he's busy.. maybe u could give me his msn or something.
then i wouldnt be interrupting him too much.

jessum

HSC
and kimmeh, bout the subject acceleration. i thought that too. i did bio last year, and didnt do as well as i could have, but im not repeating it. i used it as more of a trial for this year, and now i know what to expect.
i think thats something good about subject acceleration. dont know if i can think of many other good things.
our schools gone a bit crazy with the subject acceleration of late... might as well just move everyone up a grade.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
if you're school has alot of accelerants then why ask others?

i mean the only good thing about acceleration is that you go faster. acceleration: "The rate of change of velocity with respect to time."

hence the societal effect would be smarter kids in terms of brain wave patterns. and culturally this makes the school a good prospect for the eager minds of tommorow. :)

so why is the poll so gay?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
My school only offers 2 accelerated subjects, SDD and Mathematics. Now they've changed it to just IPT and Mathematics.

It was a good experience, because it gave me some leeway knowing I had a good mark in an HSC subject I'd already done, so it was a definite backup.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by jessum
and kimmeh, bout the subject acceleration. i thought that too. i did bio last year, and didnt do as well as i could have, but im not repeating it. i used it as more of a trial for this year, and now i know what to expect.
i think thats something good about subject acceleration. dont know if i can think of many other good things.
our schools gone a bit crazy with the subject acceleration of late... might as well just move everyone up a grade.
i agree. it gives you like experience of what they may expect from you. the whole purpose is to do it a year ahead and to have a subject free in your hsc to concerntrate on other subs.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I dont really care about them as long as I still get a good UAI. They can do what they want up there in Sydney.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Our school makes us do accelerated.

The only subjects that aren't accelerated are Maths and English, everything else is.

elvenmuggle

HSC
Our school only offers 2U and 3U maths acceleration. In our year there were 3 people [including me] who were accelerated in 3U and 2 who were accelerated in 2U -- although initially there were 7 people who were accelerated in 3U but people just kept dropping. I did my maths hsc last year [i'm in year 12 this year] and i have to say that it was the best thing because now i have 12 extra studies and it really does free up time. We all did really well in our results: in Extension - 1 person got an E4 and the other 2 got an E3; in 2unit - 2 of us got band 6, the others got high band 5s.

It was a little hard for us because we were only the 2nd year this was attempted [the year before us did it, but all except 1 person ended up repeating it anyway], so our school really had no idea what they were doing. We didn't have a teacher in years 7,8 or 9 and rather worked on our own -- although with no teacher telling us to do work, we pretty much bludged all maths lessons, which was fun, but i went into prelim work in year 10 knowing absolutely nothing, which made it really really hard and that's why so many people initially dropped.

And i think most of the girls in our grade thought of us as being "nerds" or whatever which was really hard on us. It didn't help that all the teachers made such a big deal about us being accelerated -- everyone was so sick of it all and started taking it out on us and taunting us. But it got better over the years and everyone really started supporting us and when we did our hsc everyone came to wish us luck and congratulate us when we got our results.

Sorry, i blabbed on a bit there.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Nah we do 2 accelerated (prelim and hsc) in year 11 with maths and english prelim.

This year we do 2 other accelerated plus maths and english hsc.

jessum

HSC
so misturi u do like the whole 2 years of 2 subjects in one year, and then the whole 2 years of another 2 subjects in the other year?
is that how it works, or am i totally misinterpreting it

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
um i accelerated a grade.. its like a program thing at my school.. so i totally skipped yr 8 or something.. and im acceleratin in bio atm..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)