Accelerate subjects (1 Viewer)

oisac

HSC
Why don't more schools offer more students to undertake accelerated subjects? IMO it would help the school ALOT, as all the kids doing accelerate subjects are maybe doing (2-3units) in which that's all they have to study for that year, just 2-3units!!(l know they have to do prelim...but very little study should be allocated for that) compared to the majority of other kids doing 10 + units.

2011_

HSC
I don't know, but I agree, more schools should encourage it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The rare valid point from oisac. :p

I know in a whole lot of schools, the grade below accelerated in order to bring the...not so good guys in 2U Maths up, and hence scale it more effectively for the school, and those guys in 2U Maths. For something like English, it's quite difficult - because I don't think it's something that can be learnt and memorised overnight (like Maths). It's something that's acquired over time, and hence, it'd be difficult to foister that knowledge onto students.

Georgina168

HSC
Our school did it for chemistry for heaps of years, it proved to be effective because the year 11 kids would always, always beat the actual year 12 chem class. Then it started to fail a couple of years ago and the entire cohort for chem (year 11 and 12) were just doing shit. Now my school changed it to maths, and the top 4 are filled by year 11 kiddies >.< I guess it's a good thing for the whole scaling thing but shoots our dignity to hell.

oisac

HSC
The rare valid point from oisac. :p

I know in a whole lot of schools, the grade below accelerated in order to bring the...not so good guys in 2U Maths up, and hence scale it more effectively for the school, and those guys in 2U Maths. For something like English, it's quite difficult - because I don't think it's something that can be learnt and memorised overnight (like Maths). It's something that's acquired over time, and hence, it'd be difficult to foister that knowledge onto students.
rofl

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I wish my school offered it-would have been lovely to get 2U out of the way this year. And cause you son't really need much study time for prelims-you could really have focused on the two units for awesome results.

I asked about it-but I have a feeling it's impossible the way our timetables are structured. Although one person did manage to accelerate through DE-somehow skipping the yr 11 component. (Overseas equivalent study maybe-I dunno).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)