• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A Question about scaling and moderation in Economics (1 Viewer)

mattopirotta

HSC
[FONT=&quot]Hi All,

I'm just seeking some clarification about the moderation and scaling process with a specific focus on economics. I finished 1/15 in my school assessment (albeit at a very low ranking school; in the 400s from memory) with an assessment mark of around 92. What raw exam mark would I need to achieve a band 6 (assuming that I come 1st in my cohort)?. As an extension, what would a HSC mark of 90-92 scale to when ATARs are calculated? I’m aiming for an ATAR of 95+ but I'm hoping that I can do better than that in eco as it is one of my better subjects and just need to see if I am able to. I think that I can get a low 90 raw mark if that is of any help in your explanation.

Thank you very much in advance and best of luck in all of your exams

SXCBEAST

HSC
the fact that you finished first means there is no one to hold you back or pull you down, a raw mark of around 82/100 should get you a band 6, good luck :)

mattopirotta

HSC
Thanks very much for your reply. Any idea what exam mark might be needed for a 95? I'm always the optemist (spelling?) :)

rayy_bann

HSC
Haha hey you're so similar to me in relation to your class size, rank, school rank, Eco aim and Atar aim. Lol I too want a band 6 I don't care if it's exactly 90

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Thanks very much for your reply. Any idea what exam mark might be needed for a 95? I'm always the optemist (spelling?) :)
Probably around the 86-88 mark.

And it's spelled optimist if you're interested.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Probably around the 86-88 mark.

And it's spelled optimist if you're interested.
No, that's a bit too low! Last year I got 94/100 raw for 97/100 final. You'd probably need abou 89-91 raw I'd think for a 95! Depending on the difficulty of the exam of course, as last year's exam was rather obscure.

mattopirotta

HSC
No, that's a bit too low! Last year I got 94/100 raw for 97/100 final. You'd probably need abou 89-91 raw I'd think for a 95! Depending on the difficulty of the exam of course, as last year's exam was rather obscure.
So let me see if I understand this. If I get a raw exam mark of let's say 90, it will moderate to a final mark of around 95 and then scale to and ATAR eqivilant of 99? Sorry for the questions but this whole pocess is a bit confusing and I've neve had someone explain it to me properly.

Thanks!

determine

Premium Member
HSC
yes, it will moderate to a final mark of around 95. in terms of the scaling to an ATAR equivalent of 99 part, that's what you will see if you enter 95 into an atar calculator. basically, that is telling you that you are in approximately the top 1% of the people doing the subject (that is what the ATAR equivalent indicates). it isn't too useful in terms of giving you an indication of anything else apart from how good your mark is compared to everyone else doing the subject! hope that helps. :)

mattopirotta

HSC
Thanks very much determine you've been very helpfull. Guess I better get back to working towards achieving the mark I need then! Good luck to everyone doing eco on friday :)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks very much determine you've been very helpfull. Guess I better get back to working towards achieving the mark I need then! Good luck to everyone doing eco on friday :)
No problems! All the best of luck. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)