• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A new laptop. (2 Viewers)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
yes, well i'll have my windows 7, i7 processor, 16GB of ram, and 2x SSD harddrives...

compared to..

what?

please enlighten me
There are so many things about this post that make you look like an idiot...

The i7 processor in the HP Envy is clocked at a Grand total of 1.73Ghz with each core... Woopdefuckingdoo... Unless you're doing 8 different, low intensity tasks it defeats the point and you'd be better of with a straight Quad Core. It also can't be decently overclocked because it's in a freakin Laptop. The reason that i7's ARE so good is that the 45nm means higher clocks at lower temperatures meaning longer life... this little piece of rubbish is a waste of silicon.

16GB of RAM is useless unless you're doing Graphics Rendering... and we're talking seriously High End Graphics rendering. I don't even use all 6GB of RAM in my Desktop when doing recording for 20-30 minutes at 96Khz... and that's a really RAM intensive task. I get by with 6GB 99.99% of the time... which Is why I haven't upgraded yet. And Even if you are doing seriously High End Graphics Editing, why on Earth would you not use a dedicated graphics editing PC with Graphics Cards designed for such. For serious Graphics Editing you need 2 large screens and a Nvidia Quadro or similar... neither of which are here.

Oh and not to mention the RAM is only clocked at 1066Mhz... which is barely above DDR2...

The Dual SSD's... well apart from the fact that you called them SSD Harddrives... when they're not Hard drives...
Unless you're running them in RAID 0 or RAID 1 there's not much point in having 2... as at their current prices they're a waste of money for 2 unless you mirror or stripe them.

PARTICULARLY if you have 16GB of RAM, which is 1/20th of your HDD... and you're using 16GB of RAM for Graphics Editing... where are you going to store all the pre-rendered DATA... Because I don't think anyone really wants to be constantly copying large amounts of DATA back and forth between a portable/external and an SSD... because every rewrite on the SSD decreases its lifespan.

In summary... Desktop replacement laptops such as this one are a waste of money and electricity and the components in them. They're not powerful enough to do what a desktop does and they're not portable or battery efficient enough to be a Laptop.

For the price of this bloody thing I could build you a brute of a desktop that would eat any task you put it up to and have it for breakfast and you'd still have cash to spare on purchasing a Laptop for portability reasons.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Alienware has some of the sexiest gaming laptops around and I'd love to get my hands on them, but no, they are far too expensive for my pocket and budget.
Ergh after they were bought out from Dell i've never liked them, probably something to do with the price hike.

Tofuu

HSC
if you go with flexirent, the price in the end is gonna be way more than if you just buy it

Bemboka

HSC
don't get a great uni for laptop
itll get stolen
Don't get a great laptop for uni you mean haha.

I personally would never purchase a HP branded computer or anything HP or Compaq due to previous experiences... However the quality of their products may have changed since our old P4 ;)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I purchased an ASUS Eee PC 1005P yesterday, and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to type on, and just what I needed for uni.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I purchased an ASUS Eee PC 1005P yesterday, and I'm very happy with it. It's easy to type on, and just what I needed for uni.
How much did you pay for it? What are some of the stats?

Edit: I just watched some YouTube reviews and it's basically the same as most other netbooks, except it has 1BG less ram than mine but has almost 9hours of battery life!!!! Woah... I dunno how they do that!

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't buy HP. I had them ship me one which didn't fit the specs they gave, and it then took 8 months, 5 customer service reps and $500+ in mobile calls to get it refunded. This is after they picked it up 1.5 months after purchase. Other things to consider are that their trackpads are absolute shit, their computers are chockful of crapware and that Dell offer similar specs for the same price with far better customer service.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
The Asus Eee PC was the first netbook on the market. It made huge headlines and it was running Xandros and it put Linux's market share up. How could you not know all this?

Teclis

HSC
Don't buy HP. I had them ship me one which didn't fit the specs they gave, and it then took 8 months, 5 customer service reps and $500+ in mobile calls to get it refunded. This is after they picked it up 1.5 months after purchase. Other things to consider are that their trackpads are absolute shit, their computers are chockful of crapware and that Dell offer similar specs for the same price with far better customer service.
Dell....

good customer service?

lolwut?

Teclis

HSC
Dell customer services outstrips HP by an order of magnitude. For a start they actually have staff in Australia.
Having BETTER customer Service and having GOOD customer service are two entirely different things.

Also Dell only have half decent customer service if you're in Warranty and live near a Dell store or repair shop.

I am well aware that HP have shit customer service, having had many friends experience it.

Basically none of the computer suppliers in Australia have halfway decent customer service.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Having BETTER customer Service and having GOOD customer service are two entirely different things.

Also Dell only have half decent customer service if you're in Warranty and live near a Dell store or repair shop.

I am well aware that HP have shit customer service, having had many friends experience it.

Basically none of the computer suppliers in Australia have halfway decent customer service.

Small stores do.

MHael

HSC
My experience with HP laptops (only my sister's) has been horrible. It was overheating, so I went to open it up to clean the heatsink out. You have to COMPLETELY disassemble the thing. I mean COMPLETELY.

You have to detach the screen, pull off the top cover (including keyboard and touchpad) disconnect everything from the motherboard, pull out the motherboard, pull the heat sink and fan off the CPU, take the fan out of the heat sink and you can finally vacuum it out and clean it up. Then you have to reassemble. It must be the most stupidly designed laptop in history. Not to mention all the bloody double sided tape holding cables down.

The disassembly instructions, for reference:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035667.pdf

It's a couple of years old now, so they might've improved since then, but it's horrible to work on.

Edit: Oh, and it died six months out of warranty. It was either the motherboard or the CPU (probably the CPU cooked), but it certainly wasn't my fault. I did it all properly, including thermal grease.

Last edited:

Teclis

HSC
My experience with HP laptops (only my sister's) has been horrible. It was overheating, so I went to open it up to clean the heatsink out. You have to COMPLETELY disassemble the thing. I mean COMPLETELY.

You have to detach the screen, pull off the top cover (including keyboard and touchpad) disconnect everything from the motherboard, pull out the motherboard, pull the heat sink and fan off the CPU, take the fan out of the heat sink and you can finally vacuum it out and clean it up. Then you have to reassemble. It must be the most stupidly designed laptop in history. Not to mention all the bloody double sided tape holding cables down.

The disassembly instructions, for reference:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035667.pdf

It's a couple of years old now, so they might've improved since then, but it's horrible to work on.

Edit: Oh, and it died six months out of warranty. It was either the motherboard or the CPU (probably the CPU cooked), but it certainly wasn't my fault. I did it all properly, including thermal grease.
wtf... Why on earth would you pull it apart if it was that difficult???
Take it into a shop idiot... Laptops aren't designed to be pulled apart by your average dude. Even those of us who have built desktops... not really our thing...

And Snowfox... only some small stores do. I have been to quite a few small stores, all across Sydney and down the coast... there are some great ones. However the majority of them are owned and run by nitwits...

MHael

HSC
Because money. It's not that it's difficult to pull apart - it's just screws and clips - just craply designed and a pain in the arse. Why should you need to completely disassemble it just to clean the heatsink of dust? It probably would've cost at least $100 for someone in a shop to do it, if not more, even if they were used to that model. It's not like people in the shop are so much more special, they're just average blokes who enjoy working on computers enough to make a living out of it.

Laptops are only as complicated as desktops, if not simpler, but in a smaller form factor. Her new laptop (an Acer, can't remember the model) gives access to the heatsink after removing one panel on the bottom, allowing you to clean it out and "reassemble" in about 10 minutes. That's how they should be designed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)