A HSC Ranking Question~ (1 Viewer)

jeffreylah

HSC
Ok, iam one of 2/2 people in my HSC Legal Studies class... Iam ranked 1 for everything in Legal Studies, am i going to be disadvantaged against bigger schools?
Do i have to get High marks as well with my rank?
And does how well the other person do affect me?

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Rank #1 is the best case scenario for you. Just do everything it takes to maintain that first rank, and keep it up. ;)
Does how well the other person do affect me?
Only if he/she beats you, so make sure he/she doesn't!

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
When you are ranked first, your HSC exam mark will become your HSC school assessment mark. i.e. Your HSC mark is your HSC exam mark if you also score the highest HSC exam mark in your class.

As Riviet said, it is the best possible scenario you can be in. You should try your best to maintain that rank. You will not be disadvantaged by other schools.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I am a strong beliver that you are not disadvantaged unless you let yourself be, of course there are some cases that go against that. Our best advice would be to maintain your rank and go into the HSC exam with the best possible assessment mark. Good Luck!

Mel_b

HSC
bobness said:
i would still think you need to score a band 6 (i.e. above 90%) in your school report because topping it could basically just mean your school blows in the subject?

if you both score band 6s and you top it your scaling will sky rocket. exponentially compared to say 2 band 5s
The actual mark that goes on your school report means pretty much nothing, it's only your internal rank that matters. If you top the subject within your school, and then get 96 for your external mark, even if your internal mark was, say, 60, you'll do exceptionally well, becuase that discrepancy just shows that your school assessments were exceptionally hard.

Your school mark will never matter because of the huge diversity of standards in internal assesmments. You need to rank well, then do well on the external.

yupgisonyun

HSC
it's important that you do well but it is also important that your class does well. the reason for that is that BOS needs to adjust internal assessment by comparing internal results from different schools and compare those performances to external exam (HSC) because some schools will have harder tests than other schools. so it's important that the rest of your class does well especially for hsc.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
None of what the person above me said matters at all if you come first in your class. If you come first then your internal mark = your external mark. It doesn't matter if there's two people or a hundred people in your class. Just beat that other person and concentrate on killing the external exam and it won't matter that you're only in a class of two. it'll suck for the other guy though :D

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
but the other guy's coming 2nd .. that's better than a lot of us i'd think :p

you sure that if you rank first with say a raw mark of 60 then score 100 in the external they'll just give you 100 for your combined mark? cause that's pretty shifty i'd think ..

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
bobness said:

you sure that if you rank first with say a raw mark of 60 then score 100 in the external they'll just give you 100 for your combined mark? cause that's pretty shifty i'd think ..
If you being getting the 60 range throughout the whole year, i don't THINK that you will get 100 or near to it lolz

T

Testpilot

This is similar to my situation. In my Japanese Continuers class there is 6 of us (there is only one class too). I questioned my school about this because what happens if half the class averages 90 internally and the other half averages 40 internally. When our school is compared to others the top half of the class would be brought down. I was told that in classes with less than 10 people that each student would become there own centre and therefore be ranked 1/1 so that they are responsible for themselves.

I'm not sure if this is right (so correct me if i'm wrong), but it was what i was told and may help the threadstarter.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
bobness said:

only if that 100 is the highest mark in your grade...which obviously it would be :p

if you come 1st it means your assessment mark will become the highest exam mark from your school...so it may not be your own exam mark

oh and remember it only becomes as easy as this if you're OUTRIGHT 1st, not equal 1st.

Last edited:

Mel_b

HSC
bobness said:

I'm sure. We're told all the time - the actual marks that you get at school don't mean anything, the reason you want good marks is to get a good rank. If you get a 60 internally, and a 100 externally, and you're ranked number 1 at school, the board can only assume your school markers / test writers were utter bastards. If it was some bizarre kind of fluke, you get, essentially, the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and the other guy's 2nd, but he's also coming last. :p

ditto

drops of jupiter
HSC
Hi, I go to a school that's quite average and I am currently getting rankings of 3rd to about 7th in the subjects i do. since the rankings aren't so high - does that mean I'm stuffed and i'm going to get a crappy UAI????

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It also depends on how many students are doing your subjects, tell us more about your class numbers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think ultimately, it's how you compare with other students in the State. And since you can't really know how you compare until after the HSC, you're in the best possible situation (you can be in) at the moment (ie. first) so do as best as you can to maintain it. The only thing which I would be worried about is having a false sense of confidence as a result of being first in a subject or not really having a true understanding of how you stand compared to other students.

caitlin_rulz

HSC
Hey,
I'm the only person doing a certain subject at my school..does that mean my external mark will also be my internal mark?

TNguyen

HSC
Can someone clarify this for me:

I heard from a student that if you come first for a subject internally, but don't come first for the external HSC, say the 3rd guy in the class beats you, then the 3rd guy's HSC mark will become your external mark(and your 1st in the subject btw) ?

If this is so, then does it also mean that wateva external mark people in your class get will be aligned according to your internal ranking?( this is probably untrue since it seems unfair).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)