• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A hint for those of you using Firefox (1 Viewer)

jessiminica

HSC
Hey guys, I discovered this little firefox addon that is REALLY useful to me, and I thought I better share it with all you firefox users out there.

It's like an internet highlighter, called Wired-Marker. Basically, once you install the addon, say you're looking at a related text for your english module, and the text is an online movie review. If there's a key quotation, you just highlight the text, rightclick, and there's a wired-marker menu. choose a colour, and the text is highlighted. Now, in itself that's not that great, but that text will, for you, be permanantly highlighted. Computer can be turned off, browser can be exited, whatever. It's REALLY useful.

Any way, the link is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6219

Also, if you don't use firefox, get it, there are so many useful extensions for students http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

me121

Premium Member
HSC
jessiminica said:
Hey guys, I discovered this little firefox addon that is REALLY useful to me, and I thought I better share it with all you firefox users out there.

It's like an internet highlighter, called Wired-Marker. Basically, once you install the addon, say you're looking at a related text for your english module, and the text is an online movie review. If there's a key quotation, you just highlight the text, rightclick, and there's a wired-marker menu. choose a colour, and the text is highlighted. Now, in itself that's not that great, but that text will, for you, be permanantly highlighted. Computer can be turned off, browser can be exited, whatever. It's REALLY useful.

Any way, the link is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6219

Also, if you don't use firefox, get it, there are so many useful extensions for students http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
you can always just copy and paste into a word processor and highlight there, that way you won't forget the link or anything.. (ps. wrong forum)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
me121 said:
you can always just copy and paste into a word processor and highlight there, that way you won't forget the link or anything.. (ps. wrong forum)
Um... what? That's not very useful.

Of course, it should be pointed out that you can bring up search (ctrl+f) and type in a phrase then press highlight all. Not the same as study notes style highlighting as you mention, but also quite useful and underused. Also useful is highlighting a piece of text, right clicking, then clicking 'search google for..."

Thanks for the heads up though. :)

HSC
Slidey said:
Also useful is highlighting a piece of text, right clicking, then clicking 'search google for..."
I can't believe I've never noticed that before...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Don't worry - I missed it for years as well.

In fact, I made a thread asking for a plugin that replicated Google's IE Toolbar which did the same thing.

I looked like a fool when somebody said "What do you mean? You don't need a plugin to do that."

MingleDingle

4U MATHS CAFFEINE DRUGGO
HSC
for most people i think this might be more useful, its called "Smart Bookmarks Toolbar" wat it does is compress the usually long firefox bookmarks toolbar things, so u can fit somewhere around 40-50 bookmarks on the toolbar and all are still easily accessible, just like the normal one. once u roll-over them with ur mouse, they'll expand and they become readable. enjoy =)

-tal-

HSC
Also pretty useful is the Zotero add on thing, it does your internet bibliography for you when you tell it to. (Harvard style btw)

strjms72

HSC
I was wondering how to make the bookmarks more manageable, since they are so many and chaotic in order

HSC
strjms72 said:
I was wondering how to make the bookmarks more manageable, since they are so many and chaotic in order
1. Delete the ones you don't need.
2. Order them from most-used at top to least-used at bottom.
3. If you need to scroll down your list, you need to put some in folders.

sunny

meh.
HSC
There used to be an addon that lets you change your bookmarks to be in columns instead of one big scrolling column, but it hasn't been updated in like 2 years and it doesn't work in FF3..

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I hate when that happens with add ons..
my old favorites from ff2 dont work anymore :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)