• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A good way to study - Law&Soc/Human Rights (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
manifestation said:
But was i right?
im not sure
all i know is that the collective right to self determination is from the syllabus ;)
so know that one when associating with collective rights mmmkay!:)

goan_crazy

HSC
Collective right to self determination peoples
REMEMBER THAT ONE! ;)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i can definately agree on joe with this one. a collective right is a right that is as in a group right. such as gay people and their rights or students and their rights. this is known as a collective right.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wrong_turn said:
i can definately agree on joe with this one. a collective right is a right that is as in a group right. such as gay people and their rights or students and their rights. this is known as a collective right.
heya one of u post a question LOL

Wrong turn...long time no see...

What is statelessness?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
wow, i've never heard of that term before...

i've been studying for my 2 assessments for AOS and titrations for chem. theyre worth 20 and 30 % respectively....
i did AOS today..major for history is due in 2 weeks as well...so not time to post that much :D

goan_crazy

HSC
Thanx melsc, that isnt in the syllabus but

ok next question:
what is an example of an environmental and peace right?

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
How do u know it isnt in the syllabus :p
i typed my notes for Law and justice/HR according to the syllabus! so dont :p me melsc
and who got 10/10 for their short answers? when melsc stuffed up on the rule of law and natural justice :p i got 2/2 for rule of law and 2/2 for natural justice in the short answers :)

if they ask me about statelessness in the trials or HSC i will let u know ;)
umm anyway back to the question...

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
look, both of you kicked my arse in legal. i got killed in it. though i came 4th or 5th in it. i barely scraped through...i screwed it up :(

monique66

joe_m_2000 said:
Environmental: intergenerational equaltity
Peace: The rights of citizens to be protected from nuclear weapons

Next Question: Why are laws not always just?

goan_crazy

HSC
damnation said:
Environmental: intergenerational equaltity
Peace: The rights of citizens to be protected from nuclear weapons

Next Question: Why are laws not always just?
for example a rich man and a poor man have to pay $123 fine
the rich man wont feel it but the poor man will
therefore it isnt just
the law should take into account peoples individual circumstances
the law should be fair just and give equality to all

what is the doctrine of natural law?
hence or otherwise say why you didnt :p

monique66

joe_m_2000 said:
for example a rich man and a poor man have to pay $123 fine
the rich man wont feel it but the poor man will
therefore it isnt just
the law should take into account peoples individual circumstances
the law should be fair just and give equality to all

what is the doctrine of natural law?
hence or otherwise say why you didnt :p
I was thinking more like that they serve the short term politiocal influences of the govt but good enough..
The doctrine of natural states that all individuals should have the right to procedural fairness, eg. in the case of Shapelle Corby, she was denied the right to have her bag fingerprinted, thus breahing the doctrine of natural justice...

Ummm...under what circumstance may the burden lie with the defence in a criminal case? (Yes, this is a L & S q)

L

LaraB

damnation said:
I was thinking more like that they serve the short term politiocal influences of the govt but good enough..
The doctrine of natural states that all individuals should have the right to procedural fairness, eg. in the case of Shapelle Corby, she was denied the right to have her bag fingerprinted, thus breahing the doctrine of natural justice...

Ummm...under what circumstance may the burden lie with the defence in a criminal case? (Yes, this is a L & S q)

bit of ahint guys - dont use schapelle corby unless its in an internation law question.

she was arrested and trialled under indonesian law - they are not a western society and they have a differebnt political an djudicial system to australia so you cannot compare the 2 in a question on the principles of law.

As far as the question re "Just Laws", the answer i always gave for why the law isnt just (and i never lost a mark in law and society) is simply that the very definition of just is not concrete and depends upon the values and morals of individuals and the collective community.
Laws are never just as they have justice as an 'ideal' - it is not something which is definable and thus is yet to be attained by any legal system globally.
Each individual percieves the notion of justice to have different characteristics. As the law does not allow for individual circumstance (in theory) in applying the law, it cannot be just as it accomodates greater society, not individuals. For a law to be just, it would have to accomodate every individual who is subject to it.

Always use Aussie cases for law and society as they are predominantly asking about how this system relates to our laws. Good cases are things like the tendency statisticaly for mothers to be granted custody in situations of deciding the residence of a child in divorce proceedings, john singleton getting out of his traffic fine more or less coz he is who he is, parliamentary privelege making MP's immune from certain laws/rules that the general public must follow, mandatory sentencing that was attempted in NT (depending on which side youa rgue for) etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:

monique66

i'm pretty sure we can use international cases. Well we can for our media file and not only does it illustrate the point i was getting at it also demonstates the workings of the civils law system where there is a presumption of guilt. Anyway, who am i to argue? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)