A few questions about studying Med in NSW :) (1 Viewer)

SpoonSamba

HSC
Hi Everyone!

I have been pretty undirected my whole life and am currently studying a BA in history. I don't know what it is but recently I've begun to really get attached to the idea of studying medicine. I've been doing some research into different institutions and have a few questions. I have a year and a half left of my BA,which is enough time for me to increase my average and I'd like to apply for entry into a med program in 2013.

Given my personal circumstances I don't want to study interstate so my options are USYD, UWS, UNCLE, UOW.

Given the competitiveness of USYD and the weirdy requirements of UOW I think it most realistic that I would be best at trying for UNCLE or UWS.

I understand that UWS and UNCLE both offer undergraduate medicine so does anyone know what the route for graduates to apply is?
  • Would I have to sit GAMSAT or UMAT for these courses?
  • And which is the more competitive of the two?
  • Will they still look at my UAI or only my GPA?
  • And what is the difference in the actual testing between UMAT and GAMSAT?
Thanks for any responses, I just can't find anything on the uni websites about graduates applying for undergrad courses.

muzlak

HSC
The universities would look at your GPA if you have completed a full year of uni (which you would have).

For UWS and UNCLE undergrad med you will need to sit the UMAT and an interview. The selection criteria for each university differs. For UWS, they look at your UMAT and ATAR/GPA when providing interviews. When selecting candidates, UWS will look at 67% interview and 33% UMAT (provided your GPA is over 5.5). UNCLE merely looks at your UMAT when offering interviews. When selecting candidates, UNCLE will look purely at your interview (provided your GPA is over 5.5).

I have never taken the GAMSAT, but my understanding is that the GAMSAT also tests some science knowledge, whereas the UMAT is more of an aptitude test. The UMAT is divided into 3 sections, the first of which tests logical reasoning, the second of which tests emotional intelligence, and the third of which is similar to an IQ test (pick the middle questions etc.) The GAMSAT is for graduate entry medicine only.

ACER officially states that the UMAT cannot be prepared for, but that is complete and utter bullshit. I'll post later outlining how to go about this.

Have you also considered UNSW medicine?

See http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/forum.php for more information about medicine entry.

Good luck with getting into med :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
They're going for grad med though aren't they, so they'd have to prepare for gamsat, which is a bit of a bitch, especially if you've done history. You can buy a preparation book from co op.

If you go for grad med, you will be competing with all the medical science students, who didn't get into undergraduate medicine, and are very keen to get into grad med, so they can become filthy rich doctors. So this will obviously make entry more competitive. I'm not sure what the selection criteria is(i.e whether or not med sci students get preference). Email the individual uni for that I guess.

Good luck : )

MzG1zi

HSC
You wouldn't need the umat, thats only for undergraduate;
afterall UMAT=Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test :)

SpoonSamba

HSC
Lol you can see why I'm slightly confused as Graduate looking for Undergraduate entry, but muzlak sounds the most convincing so right now I'm gonna go with having to sit for UMAT.

However by this token I understand that if I then wanted to take a shot at applying for USYD which is a grad program I'd have to take GAMSAT and UMAT to apply for all three?

I looked at UNSW med but to be accepted its either a 6 year combined program for undergrad (UWS and UNCLE are 5 yers and I dont have to do any more goddam arts) or 4 years graduate but you have to have done medical science which I didnt do.

Is a GPA of 5.5 roughly a distinction average?

And is there a difference in the reputation of UWS and UNCLE, which would you put as a higher preference?

And I realise I'm gonna have to teach myself some science to pass UMAT but I've got time :D

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
you cannot apply for an undergraduate course if you've already graduated with a degree. if you were still half way through or something then you could.
graduate entry is your only option now. in NSW you will be looking at USyd, UoW, Notre Dame, ANU.

SpoonSamba

HSC
:O:O:O

But it says on the UWS web page that they take into account your ATAR or GPA - I assumed this meant you can have a degree and be accepted on those grounds.

That makes no sense whatsoever to have courses where you only accept ppl without prior degrees ...what is the purpose of this? Im in shock wtf do i do now theres like no unis left

SpoonSamba

HSC
Still in shock. Like WTF is this true? WHY!WHYWHYWHWYWHWY!

I can apply for any other undergraduate degree, what difference does it make

I wanna cry

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
The GPA is taken into consideration only if you are still studying your undergrad course. once you finish, you have to go through the graduate entry scheme where your ATAR then becomes obslete and its all based on GPA, GAMSAT, Interview.
TBH graduate entry is probably easier. just that the GAMSAT is a total bitch of an exam esp for people who did not study science related subjects at uni since you actually need to prep for it.

SpoonSamba

HSC
Yeah it just means my options are so limited Ultra competitive USYD or chat theological notre dame

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)