A couple of things.... (1 Viewer)

Remzii94

HSC
firstly, should i stay in advanced english or drop to standard? at the moment, from the total marks of my assessments and exams, im sitting on about 70%.
is standard easier? is it hard to get a band 5 or 6 in standard english??

second, i am doing horrible in physics and cant drop it, would tutoring be a good choice??
also, in physics for yr 12, we have a choice of astronomy physics or medical physics. which is better?

thanks guys =]

HSC
I think standard is probably easier than Advanced...but it is much easier to score a band 6 in Advanced, from what I've heard. It would be wiser to do Advanced.

I am in the same predicament as you in physics D:

enoilgam

HSC
DONT DROP TO STANDARD! Standard is only a little bit easier than advanced and it aligns poorly (less then 5% of students get 80+, with only 64/30,000+ getting a band 6). Dropping to standard will be one of the worst decisions you make.

silentdreamer

HSC
Don't know about physics since i don't do it, but don't drop to standard! from what i've heard, the course isn't that much easier and the aligning is so poor you'd be better of doing advanced anyway.

Remzii94

HSC
but what if i do poorly in advanced?

whats a good mark in advance?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you do poorly in Advanced, it's still better than Standard - I think, unless you're really, really, really at the bottom and really, really struggling.

A good mark in Advanced depends on your school. Just fight for that 1st placed rank.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you do poorly in Advanced, it's still better than Standard - I think, unless you're really, really, really at the bottom and really, really struggling.

A good mark in Advanced depends on your school. Just fight for that 1st placed rank.
Pretty much. You're almost certainly better off in Advanced.

Remzii94

HSC
soooo, 60-70% in advanced is better than 70-80% in standard?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Both Physics options contain sufficient information from the textbook. I don't think many school's do Age of Silicon due to the lack of resources. If you think that you are struggling, it would be a wise option to seek a tutor early.

Remzii94

HSC
Both Physics options contain sufficient information from the textbook. I don't think many school's do Age of Silicon due to the lack of resources. If you think that you are struggling, it would be a wise option to seek a tutor early.
the class chose astrophysics i believe but thanks :)
yeaa my parents have found two, time to choose 1 hahah
just figured out how 2 reply to another reply....

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
the class chose astrophysics i believe but thanks :)
yeaa my parents have found two, time to choose 1 hahah
just figured out how 2 reply to another reply....
Reply with quote. Which area are you from? What tutoring centres are you considering? Make sure you make the most of it. Ask questions when you can.

tutorsaustblog

HSC
With physics, i would try and drop it if you can. Its hard to do well in something you don't enjoy. If you can't, definitely consider private tutoring, but not colleges, and be honest with your tutor about all the issues you have. YOu get out what you put into tutoring sessions.

Good luck!

musing

HSC
but what if i do poorly in advanced?

whats a good mark in advance?
Just remember that year 11 will not be a reflection of how you'll perform in year 12 - I received a similar mark as you for English Advanced in year 11 at the end of the year but in year 12, I came first overall for my internals. My advice is NOT to drop to English Standard and there is still room for improvement throughout the year. Also, don't even fret about doing poorly in Advanced course yet because you have not started the course yet!

Good luck.

Gigacube

HSC
Also consider the difference in work ethic between English Advanced & English Standard. You don't want to be stuck in a class where everyone is constantly off task & mucking around.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I think doing Standard is just stupid. All you are doing is giving yourself no chance at achieving top marks that you can potentially achieve in Advanced. When people say "if you get below say 70%, you should drop to Standard", then are full of shit. Standard will only lower your mark and it even scales worse.

timmyt

HSC
If you think about it, Advanced has a much lighter workload than Standard...
With standard they need 2 related texts per topic, and then for belonging, whereas with Advanced its just 1 for belonging and one for module C. Much less to study IMO...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)