99 ATAR possible in a low-ranked school? (1 Viewer)

Bumbletiger

HSC
Is it possible for me to get a 99 ATAR at a school ranked outside the top 300 + a weak cohort?

and btw, I haven't seen anyone from my school, from the time I've been at my school (since year 7) get an ATAR of 99+

Last edited:

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Yeah, I went to a school in the 300's - one girl got 99.1 - actually last year quite a few got in the 90s.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
It's technically possible, however it's unlikely. All you can do is your best!

Good luck!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I got 96+ at a school ranked in the 600's.

It is definitely possible.

Verify

HSC
You HAVE to come first across all your subjects if you want to be 100% sure with it.

I don't think your school's rank will forgive you for coming second - your cohort can drag you down by a lot.

enoilgam

HSC
It is possible to achieve any ATAR at any school. Remember, school ranks are not official and are taken from the previous year. Also, the method used to calculate them isnt the best.

If you are at a school with a weak cohort, then you need to come first internally and externally in order to give yourself the best chance of getting 99.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Girl at my school, ranked 300's, got 99.7 in 2013.

Stop using your bad school as an excuse.

Lina3

HSC
It's technically possible, however it's unlikely. All you can do is your best!

Good luck!
^This.
Your chances are slimmer than someone from private/selective school, but with enough hard work and dedication it CAN be done. My school's dux got like 96.4, which is an great result, but it shows that its not easy to get those 99's at a low ranked school. Only 2 people in my year got in the 90's. In another public school, however a guy that used to go to my primary (and who used to be a bully and a huge rebel) actually managed a 99.75...so it is possible! Don't give up, and best of luck :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, the very fact you haven't seen anyone from your school in recent years attaining an ATAR of 99+ does not mean that no one in the history of your school has failed to attain an ATAR of 99+, using the recent six years results can be a good guidance, but not an absolute guidance. To succeed in the HSC, I always had advised a humanist approach, in that I believe it is up to the student's determination, perseverance and willingness to learn that will allow them to thrive regardless of what school they attend. Don't let your circumstances define or deter you, let them by catalysts by which you become even more passionate about doing everything possible to attaining such an ATAR goal, become the first person to achieve that ATAR:). Have absolute faith that you can achieve it and ask teachers questions, engage in the learning process and enjoy the last years of your high school. All the very best for you to achieve your ATAR goal:) (make sure it is from an intrinsic motivation rather than extrinsic reasons).

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
I don't think my school ever had anyone get an ATAR of 99+ prior to my co-hort, the dux at one stage was 94. The dux this year managed to get 99.65 with Maths/Science and I got 99.50 with all humanities subs.

The only disadvantage of going to a badly ranked school is that there's less 'competition' or drive to excel academically, and that can result in either a) you making excuses b) complacency. Also, you might lack the support of effective teaching staff, though this usually isn't the case, as with my school, where the teachers were awesome but unfortunately the students were apathetic.

If your school is actually that shit, then you should be able to come first in every single one of your subjects, it's what I had to do. And this might sound harsh, but if you can't come first in your internals at a school ranked 300+, then 99 would've been out of the question even if you had gone to a well ranked school. So yes, it is HIGHLY possible if you have the natural ability and/or work ethic - come first in all your internal subjects and make sure you're being marked in accordance with accurate HSC marking standards. Good luck!

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
I don't think my school ever had anyone get an ATAR over of 99+, the dux at one stage was 94. The dux this year managed to get 99.65 with Maths/Science and I got 99.50 with all humanities subs.

The only disadvantage of going to a badly ranked school is that there's less 'competition' or drive to excel academically, and that can result in either hopelessness or complacency. Also, you might lack the support of effective teaching stuff, though this usually isn't the case as with my school, where the teachers were awesome but unfortunately the students were apathetic.

If your school is actually that shit, then you should be able to come first in every single one of your subjects, it's what I had to do. And this might sound harsh, but if you can't come first in your internals at a school ranked 300+, then 99 would've been out of the question even if you had gone to a well ranked school. So yes, it is HIGHLY possible if you have the natural ability and/or work ethic - come first in all your internal subjects and make sure you're being marked in accordance with accurate HSC marking standards. Good luck!
The main disadvantage is that with a low ranked school, your marks will plummet if you do poorly on the final (in comparison to a selective school where the cohort can cushion the fall).

In terms of competition, most people flourish with it but some dont. Like for me, I would have hated having all that competition, plus I'm not the type of person who is driven by it. The big advantage of competition is that it an help you gauge how well you are doing - it's common at low ranked schools for the top people to think they are doing better than what they are.

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
The main disadvantage is that with a low ranked school, your marks will plummet if you do poorly on the final (in comparison to a selective school where the cohort can cushion the fall).

In terms of competition, most people flourish with it but some dont. Like for me, I would have hated having all that competition, plus I'm not the type of person who is driven by it. The big advantage of competition is that it an help you gauge how well you are doing - it's common at low ranked schools for the top people to think they are doing better than what they are.
Precisely. When I refer to competition I'm not referring to anything cut-throat, moreso what you've mentioned, where you have a pool of people who actually reflect your competition in the HSC (since the ATAR is a rank). If you can acquire a good rank amongst these kinds of students then it's more likely that you won't bomb out in the HSC exam anyway, as you've developed the skills necessary to be competitive amongst the 'high achievers' (unless you're particularly sick or nervous on the day)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well, the very fact you haven't seen anyone from your school in recent years attaining an ATAR of 99+ does not mean that no one in the history of your school has failed to attain an ATAR of 99+, using the recent six years results can be a good guidance, but not an absolute guidance.
I would certainly vouch for this.

The cohorts before mine did terrible and the ATARs all below 90 for about 5-6 years before me.

There was a student the year before with the same subjects as me and got around 82.

I used that as motivation to do my best and in the end I was very happy with my result as I was expecting a 90 at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)