90+ ATAR Likelihood (1 Viewer)

mary555

HSC
hi, i'm in year 10 and subject selection is coming up, so I was wondering what the likelihood of receiving of a 90+ atar is with the subjects i'm thinking about taking:

- advanced english
- extension 1 english
- studies of religion 1 (compulsory in my school)
- advanced maths
- modern history
- japanese continuers
- software design and development
- industrial technology: multimedia

(for 2u maths i'm doing my hsc next year cause of accelerated, so i should only have 12 units to worry about in year 12)

i've heard these subjects don't scale as well as others when it comes to maximising atar, but i prefer these over sciences/extension math; if i work hard, could i still receive a 90+ atar? it probably doesn't mean much for year 10 but i'm performing well in what i'm interested in, so hopefully it's the same in year 12. i'm also not set on what i want to do in the future, but i'm leaning towards something in it/software right now. otherwise, i think i'll land up somewhere involving history/english, idrk tho

how hard would it be to receive a 90+ atar with these subjects/would the workload be too much?

(btw i'm new here, so sorry if anything's a bit redundant :-( thank you in advance!)

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Those certainly aren't the best scaling subjects, but their scaling remains good/decent. However, their scaling will certainly not affect your chances of getting a 90+ ATAR. You can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects, as long as you're determined and are performing well. I received a 92 ATAR with some of my subjects scaling worse than yours.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe Modern History and Japanese Continuers are good-scaling subjects, so that's definitely a good thing for you!

To answer your question: If you work hard, you can definitely receive a 90+ ATAR. The workload may be an issue since you're doing a lot of subjects but as long as you manage your time effectively, you will be able to stay on track and hopefully end up reaching your ATAR goal!

I hope this helps! 😄

mary555

HSC
Those certainly aren't the best scaling subjects, but their scaling remains good/decent. However, their scaling will certainly not affect your chances of getting a 90+ ATAR. You can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects, as long as you're determined and are performing well. I received a 92 ATAR with some of my subjects scaling worse than yours.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe Modern History and Japanese Continuers are good-scaling subjects, so that's definitely a good thing for you!

To answer your question: If you work hard, you can definitely receive a 90+ ATAR. The workload may be an issue since you're doing a lot of subjects but as long as you manage your time effectively, you will be able to stay on track and hopefully end up reaching your ATAR goal!

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you lots!! i appreciate the help :D

mary555

HSC
90 plus ATAR is possible with literally any combinations of subjects, given you're doing accelerated maths you're obviously a talented student! Just make sure that you do your best in every school assessment in year 12 and I think you have a high chance to get into the 95s, even 99s honestly. And realistically, hard work and effort beats scaling any day of the week, band 5s in MX and high scaling sciences will never come close to band 6s in your chosen subjects, so yeah do what you enjoy!

Another thing worth mentioning is that the only exception would be if you are aiming for undergrad med or dental med which are extremely competitive with atar (at around 99.6 to .95) along other criteria like UCAT or multi-mini interviews, which I advise to take MX along with probably chemistry and physics if you know you're good at them as doing well in these subjects will maximise your chances. Probably not that relevant but it's something I wish I knew when I chose my subjects.

Also you should try to only have 10 units in year 12, so only 5 subjects so you can focus on them rather than having the workload of 6. As in the HSC only 10 of your best units counts towards your final atar.
thank you so much!! and yeah, i'm gonna consider dropping one of those subjects now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)