80+ HSC to Scale (1 Viewer)

min-tee

HSC
Hey,
Sorry if this question is asked a lot.
But I was wondering, (on average stats that is) suppose you got 70's and below for Gen Math, would that scale you down?

allieoop11

HSC
Yes, unfortunately General Maths will scale you down a lot unless you do extremely well.

dp624

HSC
yeah, a 70 would scale quite badly (maybe into the high 50s range, unsure)

Schoey93

HSC
Any idea how the new more basic, practical course Mathematics General 1 would scale (the HSC course is to be examined first in 2011)? Mathematics General 2, I assume, would be scaled in much the same way as the current General Mathematics course, as it is based on this course and is quite similar to it, there has being the removal of one topic, the addition of another and two new focus studies have been included. Anyway, yeah, don't know about Mathematics General 1. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

janetO

HSC
Truuuuu, just my school has never received a band 6 in general maths which is HELL embaressing.
I'm freaking out cos I want to get a band 6 but my grade does extremely bad in the course so imagine I get say.. 92? I'd probably end up with a band 5 because of scaling

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
I was ranked 1st in general math and that didn't even help. I received a mark of 81 and trust me because of g.math i received the UAI i did. Not that it was bad, it could've have been better.All those rumours about "You rather do 2 unit math and get 60, rather than g.math and get 80" is all true! You have to aim for, a minimum of 85, minimum! My advice for anyone wanting to do g.math; you're better off doing 2 unit math and achieving a 70 that'll push your uai up, than g.math and getting 80 or 85. If you do g.math make sure you do six subjects and aim to ace the other 5 you do.

Last edited:

TBK11

HSC
Well i don't think general is really that bad in scaling i mean if you work hard and get 98+ ull get scaled to 90 or 91 so thats alright just work hard little ones :)

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Well i don't think general is really that bad in scaling i mean if you work hard and get 98+ ull get scaled to 90 or 91 so thats alright just work hard little ones :)
Point exactly. A 98 scales down to a low 90. Bad scaling, clearly.

If you're at all capable of doing Advanced Maths, I'd say go for that instead of General.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Point exactly. A 98 scales down to a low 90. Bad scaling, clearly.

If you're at all capable of doing Advanced Maths, I'd say go for that instead of General.
I agree and advanced maths isn't that hard. You just have to put in a little bit of effort to go well :)

Schoey93

HSC
General Mathematics is better because it is more applied mathematics. Mathematics Advanced is just BLAH. It's just that Year 9 and 10 stuff, but extended. To me it just seems that Mathematics Advanced is more dry - you just memorise the formula and apply it. Any fool who can follow instructions knows how to do this.

However, although General involves applying formulae ... at least they are formulae worth memorising and can be applied in day to day life, not only in contrived insipid "exercises". But really, if you hate math (in school, as an HSC subject) you should NOT be doing it at all. And it is just ridiculous to say to someone, "but mathematics is useful to society, so you must study it."

1. Mathematics is NOT intentionally useful to society. It has useful consequences. Mathematics is intended to be fun, a game, playing - using your imagination to create for yourself problems and then solve them.
2. English is useful to society, probably more so than math as it teaches you to communicate with fluency and eloquency, both in the spoken and written word.

And the scaling of higher mathematics courses is simply ridiculous. I would challenge any mathematics extension 2 student to try to learn a foreign language and see how they go. Something like Chinese (Mandarin), a very difficult language which scales quite poorly is much more difficult than following instructions to solve problems.

Maybe if more gifted people invested their time in language courses they would have better scaling?

Anyhow, General scales poorly, because the people who do it often do it just for the sake of doing math, so they put in little effort and get poor results, scaling the subject down. Mathematics has the same scaling as Biology, I believe (or thereabouts). If you're confused about which to do, then DO NOT do math at all. :)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
UAI equivalent of 100 in gen maths = 99.1 UAI
UAI equivalent of 70 in gen maths = 45.8 UAI

UAI equivalent meaning that if you have 10 units of general maths in which you get 100 in, you'd get 99.1 UAI. Or if you do 10 units of gen maths and get 70, you'd get 45.8 UAI.

But don't worry, you have other units, and 70 in gen maths is...not too hard to surpass.

HSC
80 in 2UMaths = 85 in General in terms of scaling (2005)

Poorly informed people should shut up, their comments don't help.
No such thing as caps (read the stickies), scaling for one individual subject is pretty much negligible on your UAI, aligning and scaling are two different things etc etc

Have a read of the UAC Scaling Report

janetO

HSC
I completely FAILED at 2u maths.. maybe because I never touched my homework and so I was getting an average of 40% (Y)
My first assessment for general maths I got 96%..
Now, what one would you rather:

HSC Mark of 40 for 2u maths
or
HSC Mark of 96 for general maths?

HSC
I completely FAILED at 2u maths.. maybe because I never touched my homework and so I was getting an average of 40% (Y)
My first assessment for general maths I got 96%..
Now, what one would you rather:

HSC Mark of 40 for 2u maths
or
HSC Mark of 96 for general maths?
40% would have been raw marks which =/= HSC Mark, but still a raw 40% in 2U would still be no where near a HSC mark of 96 in General.

Nice work

janetO

HSC
40% would have been raw marks which =/= HSC Mark, but still a raw 40% in 2U would still be no where near a HSC mark of 96 in General.

Nice work
Either one, hsc or raw mark :).. i'm sure everyone here would much rather a 96 right?

and tyty.. lets hope i dont screw up again

aznvdz

HSC
Just make sure you get above state average and you won't have to worry too much about scaling. I've seen people achieve 100 UAI's doing general mathematics as well as people scoring 95+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)