4 Unit Maths (1 Viewer)

oliperro

HSC
People have told me that to get 40% raw mark in 4Unit maths, it will scale very high as many people that sit the paper only get halfway. and it is true that only one or two people in the state get to the final question every year.

then why is it that the UAI estimator SAM only scales a mak of 40% up to 43? is it that inaccurate?

I'm trying to decide wether to do the 4th unit so if anyone could answer this it would help. thx.

webby234

HSC
N/A
SAM works on aligned marks, not raw marks. So the mark of 40 that you are putting in would probably only require approximately 20% to get. It would depend on the difficulty of the test, but 40% would perhaps get you about 70-80, but you can never be certain.

Riviet

HSC
N/A

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you want do to 4u, give it a go anyway. if you are pretty good at complex numbers, stick with it. if you cant understand complex numbers that well, stick with it, but if you still cant get anything by the time you are up to intergration, give it away.

Phoenixs Legacy

HSC
EII math is a challenge, and uses more problem solving than formula, so in this case, more letters, less numbers.
The course starts off cool, sketching. Then complex numbers. Then integration. After that it's crap.
It requires a fair bit of work, and dedication. in 2002, the lowest raw mark was 0/120... the highest being 119/120 (but he/she was just a freak).
The exam is designed so that people don't finish it... but if you get most of the first 5 questions, you can get about 90.

It scales very well... about the 3rd best of ALL courses. But like all subjects, the scaling is exponential, so about 40 will still be crap, but say 83, you get 92 points about counted toward your UAI.

Unless you Love maths, don't do it. (still try it)

gyponese

HSC
the actual 4unit course isnt hard at all.. its a tweaked version of 3unit, with less calculator work.. you dont need to love maths at all to do it, just be good at it.. what is hard about 4unit is the "harder 3unit".. thats the stuff with balls.. like all hsc subjects, your mark is a reflection of how much study hours you do.. so, yeah, any1 can do 4u..

gyponese

HSC
and whoever told you that only a few people reach Q8 in 4u, spit in their face immediately, cause thats bullcrap...

munitalp

HSC
4u is challenging and requires alot of time, but if you do it, theres no point aiming for a 40% raw at least aim to pass, that would get you a 80+ according to my teacher. btw not anyone can do 4u, the concepts are somewhat difficult, you can't expect someone doing 2u to just pop in 4u and understand it if they cant even understand basic trig or integration from 2u

joe1016

HSC
munitalp said:
4u is challenging and requires alot of time, but if you do it, theres no point aiming for a 40% raw at least aim to pass, that would get you a 80+ according to my teacher. btw not anyone can do 4u, the concepts are somewhat difficult, you can't expect someone doing 2u to just pop in 4u and understand it if they cant even understand basic trig or integration from 2u
yeah, im doing 4 unit and it is pretty challenging for me. but the people i know, including my twin brother would probably get into 4 unit and just go "fuck that! what the hell do you mean you can have a negative square root?" and walk out.

3 unit is pretty good, but four unit im not aiming to get 90+ raw (or probably 70-80+ raw). in doing past papers i found that the first 4 questions or so are ok, and then i just need to do the best i can in the latter section of it. im not aiming for 99 UAI but i would like to do well to get into what i want at uni.

dongypro

HSC
4Unit is a piece of shit.. seriously lol

its not like i cant do the questions.. its so time consuming..

if u are accelerated in maths and doing 2u maths in year 11.. highly recommend you to try hard to get a band 6 for 2unit... and not do 4unit .. well u can try it up to half yearlies and see urself get owned for the first time in ur life.. when u finally discover the meaning of ownage lol~
but if ur like top few people and good.. then keep it ~
otherwise.. kill 4u.. its not worth ur time.

i only got band 5 for it because i screwed up my 2u maths last year.. T_T

sunlightstarz

HSC
N/A
Having just done my MX2 HSC (woohoo!), I'd say the biggest thing to think about is whether you're willing to put in a LOT of hours doing exercises, revision, past papers. Like most math, you can do well if you're familiar with the type of questions they're going to ask, and if you PRACTICE.
If you take the plunge, and you generally do well at school (say, average, maybe a little above), AND you carry that level of achievement into MX2, it'll pay off because of the scaling. In my trial, a bare pass in raw marks scaled to a 92 on my report. (NB: Our trial was freakishly hard, I thought). So yeah. But I found right from the beginning that it was tons of work. Proportionally much more than the 2 units it's actually worth. And it's not just mindless formula application; you will actually have to THINK. Still, scaling!!
So if you wouldn't mind knuckling down for, say, 5 hours a week, doing integration, graphing, complex numbers etc. until you see y= e^f(x) in your sleep, and I haven't frightened you off already, go for it. And remember, if you find out you hate it, you can always drop it. =) Hope that helps!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
oliperro said:
People have told me that to get 40% raw mark in 4Unit maths, it will scale very high as many people that sit the paper only get halfway.
That is TOTALLY WRONG! I betcha at least half the state candidature got past halfway in this year's HSC. Generally speaking 40% raw probably becomes like 70-80 aligned at best.
oliperro said:
and it is true that only one or two people in the state get to the final question every year.
That is a dangerous assumption of misinformation to make. It is CERTAINLY NOT TRUE! Many people get to the last question every year. Usually above average people at the very least have a chance to attempt the last question. Even I managed to get out at least 70% of the last question properly in this year's paper.

Phoenixs Legacy

HSC
Really, if you want to do it, just focus on the first five questions, and punt at the rest. If you can get more than (or at least half) of the exam out, you have done REALLY well.

If you do the EII course, it will help you greatly in the ADV and EI course.

Good if you do it, and you can pull out whenever you want :)

sneeky pete

HSC
just started ex2 math this term, cant believe how much work is envolved! is it realy worth the effort, or should the work be put into our other courses to maxamise our results in them?

rottendodo

HSC
I was VERY happy to read this thread, as now I know that raw marks are adjusted considerably for this subject to get the aligned HSC mark. I always had a suspicion this happened after trying to calculate my UAI going off my projected HSC mark (IM in year 12 now) and 'realising' that 4u maths' scaling was very overrated!.
What I would like to know is does a similar (but less extreme) thing happen with, say, Chemistry or other moderately-hard subjects? say a raw mark of 80 moves to 84 on average? (ignoring school and school ranks, ect).
I go to a small private school in the middle of nowhere, btw.

williamc

HSC
rottendodo said:
I was VERY happy to read this thread, as now I know that raw marks are adjusted considerably for this subject to get the aligned HSC mark. I always had a suspicion this happened after trying to calculate my UAI going off my projected HSC mark (IM in year 12 now) and 'realising' that 4u maths' scaling was very overrated!.
What I would like to know is does a similar (but less extreme) thing happen with, say, Chemistry or other moderately-hard subjects? say a raw mark of 80 moves to 84 on average? (ignoring school and school ranks, ect).
I go to a small private school in the middle of nowhere, btw.

Read some of those sticky threads about moderating. In the hsc exam somewhere in the 60's for chem(or physics ???!!) moderated to 80 something i think.

golfpro

HSC
N/A
People shouldnt do a subject because of good scaling geez.

Im no mathematical genius but i enjoy maths, the reason i chose 4 unit is because i want to study astronomy and astrophysics at university and you need a HIGH level of maths to study those subjects, obviously physics too.

If i had no passion for astronomy etc i would probably never have chosen maths at all !

beentherdunthat

HSC
golfpro said:
People shouldnt do a subject because of good scaling geez.

Im no mathematical genius but i enjoy maths, the reason i chose 4 unit is because i want to study astronomy and astrophysics at university and you need a HIGH level of maths to study those subjects, obviously physics too.

If i had no passion for astronomy etc i would probably never have chosen maths at all !
LOL... i got to admit, i did it because of the scaling but I'm good at maths anyway, so it was a two-way thing. Isn't it a lot of work? Maths is Practise makes perfect anyway. It's not some kind of essay you learn, it's a skill you develop. If you're not good at maths from a young age, you shouldn't choose Extension 2 maths as a HSC subject. It'll be like commiting suicide.

Mattamz

HSC
hey guys i got 99% in 2u and 73% in 4u is it better to drop down and hopefully get a band 6 in 2u, or use the 4u mark which might only be a notional band 5 ?

beentherdunthat

HSC
Mattamz said:
hey guys i got 99% in 2u and 73% in 4u is it better to drop down and hopefully get a band 6 in 2u, or use the 4u mark which might only be a notional band 5 ?
Are these marks from last years hsc. Because i done 2unit last year too :D ... Or are they you're half yearly exams? Because 73% is a good starter I guess. There's 6 months to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)