4 period from 6 period days (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
What do you think will be the repercussions/ benefits of a 4 period day as opposed to a 6 period day? My school is changing to 4 period days and I don't agree with it :(

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Well depends on how long 1 period is at your school.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i would love to have 4, much more time to spend with teachers and much greater learning opportunity, however it is a pain when your attention span isnt too much

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I rather have more. Even though there would be less time, I like the fact that I'm more exposed to different subjects per day. If one period happens to be bludge (e.g. substitute teachers, no one does anything and you want to sheep along etc.) then you lose more time.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm yea, but when u have subs u can just finish of work or write notes etc.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
all schools should have 5 periods a day.

shortnsweet

HSC
We have 4 periods per day - I generally have a good attention span however honestly towards the end of the period I'm just too restless and can't concentrate. It's practically sitting down for almost 3 hours straight (except walking to your next class) because of having one class after another. 5 periods is reasonable in my opinion.

study1234

HSC
6 periods is better. The longer the lesson, the more time the teacher wastes learning a single topic. Usually at the end of the lesson you do nothing anyways, because your attention-span naturally decreases, whether you like it or not. That's why you should study in short study blocks, rather than studying 3 hours straight.

ismeta

HSC
In high school I had four periods. I liked it better, since I could focus on the subject for longer instead of having to be interrupted more often. Although, I did get considerably restless in subjects which I considered boring.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
What do you think will be the repercussions/ benefits of a 4 period day as opposed to a 6 period day? My school is changing to 4 period days and I don't agree with it :(
benefits - go into content a lot more
repercussions - destroys attention span...

I think it works for subjects like English Extension, when discussions go deeper and stuff. However, some subjects should stay shorter...so I guess it really depends :/ It's going to work out for some subjects, and be a total bust for others.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
need longer periods for practical subjects

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
My school had four period days-and I've got to say, I quite enjoy it because I really like the longer lessons which allowed me time to engage with the content learnt and understand the material better since the teacher can teach more in depth. However, initially my school had much more periods in a day, and I still remember the shift initially felt unpleasant and quite weird. But my best suggestion to you is to try to take advantage of change and embrace it-because whether you like it or not, the four period days are probably here to stay for your HSC year-so you might as well accept it and keep study hard and make the best of it:) Best wishes for enjoyable school terms ahead:)

Dementured

HSC
My school had 4 periods a day (75 mins each) up until Year 11 and then 5 periods a day (60 mins each) in Year 12. 60 minutes is definitely a good compromise in my opinion. Any more than 5 periods a day would be a waste of time.

tashe

HSC
N/A
:O

...I never questioned that different schools have different number of periods. I sound stupid now that I think about it.

Can OP make a poll to see what's the most common number of periods?

I personally prefer more number of periods, I had double/triple periods and I didn't like them.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
:O

...I never questioned that different schools have different number of periods. I sound stupid now that I think about it.

Can OP make a poll to see what's the most common number of periods?

I personally prefer more number of periods, I had double/triple periods and I didn't like them.
some schools have 7 periods a day....it seemed really weird because lessons were like 35min each or something

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My school had 8 period days but 5 on sport's day lol (where I suppose the typical last free were where sport arvo was).

So recess was at completely different times on sports day, a 20 min recess and then lunch whereas during the other 4 days, we had a 10 min recess, 40 min lunch and then 20 min recess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)