4 period from 6 period days (1 Viewer)

braintic

HSC
N/A
My school had 8 period days but 5 on sport's day lol (where I suppose the typical last free were where sport arvo was).

So recess was at completely different times on sports day, a 20 min recess and then lunch whereas during the other 4 days, we had a 10 min recess, 40 min lunch and then 20 min recess.
Originally, ALL schools had eight 40-minute periods per day. A teacher's teaching load is still defined in terms of the number of 40-minute periods they are required to teach. It was only around the very late 80s that some schools experimented with 6 periods, and I don't recall four being used until at least the mid 90s. And eight was still the most common at the turn of the century. Everybody coped with eight, no-one thought there was an issue with 40 minute periods. Having said that, I prefer 6, but only because I am used to it now.

It seems that most people just prefer the number of periods they are used to having themselves. It annoys me when someone says things like "all schools should have 5 periods a day" as if that is some number that can be proved to be optimum for all schools/students. They are dictators in the making, and probably have imagined a plethora of arbitrary rules/laws that should be imposed on the community.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have taught with 12 30 minutes periods, 8 40s, 5 50 minutes and now 6 60 minute - the problem with the 6x60 minutes is that we then end up with doubles so end up with 120 minutes which is fine for some subjects but for others can be rather long - Year 9 History, for instance - 1, 2 hour lesson per week - miss that day and that is a week missed.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Having many periods is inefficient ... It takes time to get in and out.... With the lousy bogans here, at least 5 or 6 minutes are lost every period.

I say having 4 periods is good!

braintic

HSC
N/A
Having many periods is inefficient ... It takes time to get in and out.... With the lousy bogans here, at least 5 or 6 minutes are lost every period.

I say having 4 periods is good!
It seems to me that 4 periods is also inefficient in terms of the fraction of the time students are able to concentrate. Perhaps you can concentrate for that long which would make it ideal for you, but the typical student can't.

The other problem with having only 4 periods is the difficulty of timetabling. You might have a class only twice a week (I'm thinking junior school), and if the timetable is only slightly unbalanced then in one week of the fortnight you might only see a class only once. Terrible for setting regular homework and maintaining student interest.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I have taught with 12 30 minutes periods, 8 40s, 5 50 minutes and now 6 60 minute
That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be five 65 minute periods and six 55 minute periods. That five period day seems particularly strange.
Never heard of a 12 period day though - was that in Australia?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be five 65 minute periods and six 55 minute periods. That five period day seems particularly strange.
Never heard of a 12 period day though - was that in Australia?
Sorry - that should have been 7x50 minutes periods.

Yes the 12x30 was in Australia - same school as all the others as I have only ever taught in one high school in my career - been where I am noe for over 20 years and we started with 12 x 30 minutes with 5 minutes between periods and then went to the standard 8 x 40 when we changed principals. We then tried the 7x50 (that was when I had my best results but...) the next deputy like 6 x 60 with regular doubles as well.

Last edited:

ShadowLighte

HSC
In high school I had four periods. I liked it better, since I could focus on the subject for longer instead of having to be interrupted more often. Although, I did get considerably restless in subjects which I considered boring.
I agree. I have 6 40-minute periods and I think they're too short, I'd much rather longer periods because it takes a while to start and end the class so if you only have one period of a subject, it could only be about 25 minutes of learning (minus interruptions, getting settled, packing up etc.). Personally I like to have more time to focus and get in the zone. The thing about having longer periods though is that you'd have them not as many times throughout the week whereas you could have the same annoying subject every day.

Hopp

HSC
Yeah I have 6 periods a day (each are 52mins), although a few schools in my area do 4 and some even do 8!

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
My school has upto 6 periods a day (50 minutes each)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)