300zx these cars any good? (1 Viewer)

7th Sign

HSC
OK people I am selling my car and I am looking at getting a new "used" car for 12k,

I dont want some new shit looking car...

I have been looking at

bmw 318is's
lexus sorers
300zx's
c180 marc's

whats the best out of the list?

in terms of parts/reliability/insurance??

I know the beemer and merc are like 200 cheaper on insurance then my current car :| I bet 300's are a killer to insure...

any one got info please help me.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
It is my understanding that the 300ZX would be probably the worst on that list in terms of parts availability. However the Merc could easily be the worst in terms of parts pricing. The Mercedes C180 looks cool, but all it is a 1.8 4 cyl, most of which are automatic. Hardly the performance paragon which the 300ZX TT arguably is.
Of the small 4cyl BMWs probably the best would be the 318ti (E36), which has the 104kW 1.9L engine, upsized from the regular SOHC 1.8 80kW versions.
You can't go past both of the Germans in terms of reliability either. I don't know much about the Lexus, but having been driven in one of those, I can tell you it is not really a feat of engineering. The doors are bolted on to the coupe with cast iron hinges the size of your head. Once you sit inside, the seats are too high, and the front window is too low, almost giving you the feeling as though you were sitting in a bunker. I was driven in the Twin Turbo version - and offboost performance was far from scintillating. Only once both of the turbos kicked in (not sequential) did you feel the rush. The best road would be to take these cars on a test drive, or be driven in one. You will no doubt fall in love with one of these, and the parts/reliability/insurance will play but a minor role in your decision.

Good to see you sticking to RWD. Personally, I can't stand front wheel spin and 20m turning radii.

55psi

HSC
Ever thought of a Silvia or 180sx 2L N/A version? These have pretty decent power and theyre FR.

rden

HSC
The 300ZX is probalbly one of the worst modern cars Nissan has released from a reliability perspective. Overheating seems to be a problem, especially with such a cramped engine bay. The soarers are mechanically bulletproof if seviced properly but make sure all the electronics are functioning 100% if you buy one.

7th Sign

HSC
Argonaut said:
Did it ever occur to you to get an affordable, reliable car instead of expensive imports?

Oh, wait, you assumed my shirt was from the Op Shop simply because it wasn't a Ralph Lauren Polo.

Somebody needs a reality check ...:bomb:

no I want to look good on the roads and I want something thats alright and has a bit of class

I dont want to drive around in a ricey shit box lancer obviously some one needs a reality check if they ever though a "lancer" was a affordable, good looking, reliable car instead which would even be close to a import.

If your not goign to have something worthey to post in the thread dont post at all keep it to the rice lancer forums thanks.

7th Sign

HSC
55psi said:
Ever thought of a Silvia or 180sx 2L N/A version? These have pretty decent power and theyre FR.

yeah both cars I have also been looking at ...

but a good 180 seems to be around 15grand..

silvias are nice but some of them i dont liek the look...they need a body kit to look good :D

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
7th Sign said:
yeah both cars I have also been looking at ...

but a good 180 seems to be around 15grand..

silvias are nice but some of them i dont liek the look...they need a body kit to look good :D
Get an RX-7.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2842788&current_rec=15&used_rec=6&total_rec=20&sort_type=&total_rec=20&sort_type=&price_max=20000&make_id=7&model_id=291&state_id=2&search_distance=25

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2807846&current_rec=17&used_rec=6&total_rec=20&sort_type=&total_rec=20&sort_type=&price_max=20000&make_id=7&model_id=291&state_id=2&search_distance=25

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2575978&current_rec=3&used_rec=6&total_rec=20&sort_type=&total_rec=20&sort_type=&price_max=20000&make_id=7&model_id=291&state_id=2&search_distance=25

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
lancers are shit, how can you come in here and even try to put shit on other cars when your own car is basically crap.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
7th Sign, I think Argonaut has a point. Instead of trying to get a car which just looks cool but costs a lot to run, maintain and insure, maybe try finding a more reliable normal sedan. I'm not saying this in an offensive manner but more from a practicality standpoint- you have a budget and you're probably a P Plater. A lot of the "good cars" in the under $12k budget probably have serious issues and will have huge repair bills.

But since you are asking for feedback on the cars, and in particular, the 300zx; my cousin uses his Fairlady primarily for racing but as others have mentioned, is plagued by reliability issues. Half the time I'm there it's sitting in the workshop being repaired. Whilst it was his first car, everything has been replaced at least once inside. However, if done up, it's a performance beast- but then considering we live in Australia and you seem to have a budget, I don't think that's something you'll be considering.

I'm not sure if you'd want an old C180 Merc- they don't look too nice in my opinion and definitely won't suit the image you're trying to give off I'd say. My mother bought one in 1999 and it was horrendously slow. A 318i might be a bit better in terms of insurance and in general driving (they do bill BMWs as drivers cars), but I also am inclined to think that an under $12k one won't look too flashy either. However, I still would pick the BMW out of the options you presented- I've got a soft spot for BMWs^^

... which leaves the Toyota Soarer. That's the Lexus SC400 correct? It's quite a good looker and if it's a Toyota, it shouldn't have as many reliability issues as the 300zx. I would probably pick this car over the others if I wanted to make the most rational decision.

In response to other posts about the Lancer and RX-7. I can't see the website (my net is stuffing up) but I like RX-7s; not just the new(er) one but also the old FC is quite attractive. Lancers, they are often done up too much to look like Evos. Ironically, a real Evo looks very plain and simple- but it too also had reliability issues. My cousin's Evo7 had problems with the stock Transmission/Gearbox and had to get it replaced. So if that's supposed to be the performance model, I'd hate to think what a normal Lancer would be like.

7th Sign

HSC
yeah thanks for the info mate atleast you have a good post not some of this other rubbish thats been posted by "arrogant"

The 318is is a good car and the c180 esprit benz are both good lookers,
If I owned a c180 I would deffiantly get heavy tints and get 20 inch deep dish rims on it so i think it would look like a classey car.
Overall I think the bmw and the benz are a lot cheaper in insurance then "lancers" as for the common fact their safer and more reliable!

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
7th Sign said:
yeah thanks for the info mate atleast you have a good post not some of this other rubbish thats been posted by arogent.

The 318is is a good car and the c180 esprit benz are both good lookers,
If I owned a c180 I would deffiantly get heavy tints and get 20 inch deep dish rims on it so i think it would look like a classey car.
Overall I think the bmw and the benz are a lot cheaper in insurance then "lancers" as for the common fact their safer and more reliable!
They're classed as a luxury car mate... they're targetted more by thiefs... parts cost more... blah blah.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
7th Sign- I really recommend you test drive a C180 before you even consider putting it in that list... It's a really really really slow car. I mean, even my father's old Daihatsu Applause could outrun it at a traffic light- and judging by the kind of cars you're interested in, the C180 is probably going to feel like a joke of a car. Sure it's safe, it's steady, it's got a decent sound system (for that 'era'- and stock)... but it feels very much like the kindof car I'd expect an oldie to be driving.

I just remembered you live kindof near me, do you know that hill on New Line Road when you travel from Cherrybrook towards Dural (it's near the Hungry Jacks/Burger King.. can't remember what it is). Let's just say the C180 felt extremely sluggish (even when you disable overdrive in the Auto) on that with my mother driving and me in the passenger seat.

A quick google reveals that the C180 does 0-100 in 11.2 seconds.

Anyhow, I guess it'll come down to when you go to test drive it. Maybe it might live upto your expectations? But the other options you posted (318i, 300zx, Soarer) will blow the Benz out of the water. But then I'm not sure how important performance is to you~

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
7th Sign- I really recommend you test drive a C180 before you even consider putting it in that list... It's a really really really slow car. I mean, even my father's old Daihatsu Applause could outrun it at a traffic light- and judging by the kind of cars you're interested in, the C180 is probably going to feel like a joke of a car. Sure it's safe, it's steady, it feels like a truck (and probably acts like one too in a crash), it's got a decent sound system (for that 'era'- and stock)... but it feels very much like the kindof car I'd expect an oldie to be driving.

I just remembered you live kindof near me, do you know that hill on New Line Road when you travel from Cherrybrook towards Dural (it's near the Hungry Jacks/Burger King.. can't remember what it is). Let's just say the C180 felt extremely sluggish (even when you disable overdrive in the Auto) on that with my mother driving and me in the passenger seat.

A quick google reveals that the C180 does 0-100 in 11.2 seconds.
Source: http://cars.yahoo.co.uk/resultsmaxi_100354123_15785209

Anyhow, I guess it'll come down to when you go to test drive it. Maybe it might live upto your expectations? But the other options you posted (318i, 300zx, Soarer) will blow the Benz out of the water. But then I'm not sure how important performance is to you~

7th Sign

HSC
i was under the impression that their was a slow and a fast c180?

ive seen some sport esprit c180 and a stock c180???????

55psi

HSC
Yep Argo's being intelligent 7th Sign.
Seriously, instead of going onto this forum and asking kiddies about what car is better, i think u should go and do ur research on the net, and if u want genuine info, go onto a proper car enthusiast forum.
(Not all ppl are kiddies on this forum)
At your age and at ur price range, the cars u chose arent really that great except for the 318. And when u said that 180sx can price up to 15g's, theyre most likely the turbo version, i was more refering to the N/A 2L nissan 180sx/silvias.

7th Sign

HSC
Argonaut said:
Hey, here's an idea: instead of sponging off everyone else for knowledge and then not liking the answers you get (or deserve, as the case may be), why don't you use RedBook and do a bit of research first before asking basic questions?

seriosuly wtf is your problem get out of my thread, this is a car forum section where people talk about cars if I want to ask questions I can...

dont you have somethign better to do then to annoy the fuck out of other people you ugly piece of shit go get hit by a bus and do us all a favour....

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
ahahah 7th sign u crack me up.

if I had 12 grand, i would go out an buy a RS liberty, they have class. nice to drive, if u work them they go like the clappers.

or personally i would buy an older car an do it up, so much more class, so much more looks.
"look another bmw on rims"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
7th Sign said:
i was under the impression that their was a slow and a fast c180?

ive seen some sport esprit c180 and a stock c180???????
ROFL I think you've been misinformed. I think the different names refer to different equipment levels and options. To the best of my knowledge when my mother bought her C180 (back in 1999) there were 4 basic levels (in this order);

Espirit
Classic
Sport
Elegance

Not sure what the Espirit was like but I remember it was the cheapest, and I remember the Sport model had a different colour of speedo- I think it was white instead of black. There was another feature which was on the Espirit model but I can't quite remember it either; my Mum ended up settling for the Classic because it suited her with the leather and woodgrain.

Of course I have very bad memory of this, it was 6 years ago... back when I didn't really care for cars.

EDIT: Btw you probably should also do some research on proper websites (like Argonaut said) because most of the ppl here (including myself) aren't exactly pros when it comes to knowing the specs, models, etc... Google is your friend. Although at least we offer somewhat unbiased advice compared to used car salesmen^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)