2U VS General MATHS (1 Viewer)

timhart

HSC
Listen
The only people that should do general is those that didn't want or need to do maths or flunked 5.1 maths. Otherwise you might have well just done advanced as it is one of those subjects that with a bit of study and effort you can really imbrove

lind27

HSC
To all those people who say there is no general maths in uni and that it is good for nothing u r wrong. In many business courses you have to do statistics which is pretty much just a harder version of general. I dropped from 2 unit to general at the end of yr 11 and found it boring and pointless so i didnt do anything for it.
Lesson is stay in 2 unit if u can handle it only drop down to general if your really struggling because its a totally different course.

HSC
Uni Grad
Do u guys think its beta to get 70<% in 2unit OR drop to general?
coz i really dnt wanna do a bridgin couse later one.
& i got no idea wat i wanna do later on. so just want a far gud UAI//
I guess you should do the general if you can only gain 90+, otherwise keep Adv. Maths.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I guess you should do the general if you can only gain 90+, otherwise keep Adv. Maths.
I actually agree with this.
If you are really having difficulties with 2U maths, and there is no way you can improve (e.g. through studying, getting a tutor etc), AND if you're sure you can get >90 in general maths, then yes drop.
If you think you'll get <90 in general then perhaps consider dropping maths entirely as it's not worth doing general if you won't do very well in it.

HSC
its better to challenge yourself rather than do the same things u do in the past all over again which dumbs u down .... so its better to stick to 2unit rather than general ..... general was the biggest mistake for me ever :burn:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To all those people who say there is no general maths in uni and that it is good for nothing u r wrong. In many business courses you have to do statistics which is pretty much just a harder version of general. I dropped from 2 unit to general at the end of yr 11 and found it boring and pointless so i didnt do anything for it.
Lesson is stay in 2 unit if u can handle it only drop down to general if your really struggling because its a totally different course.
hmm... i was told economics has some 4unit maths in it.. and commerce too.. but I guess its the subjects you pick and stuff

gronkasauras

HSC
can i just ask what is the negative stigma with general maths? i started in 2unit in year 11 and survived it for about a term and honestly dropping to general was the best decision i made. I was getting 60%-ish in 2 unit and found the course really boring. General on the other hand is really refreshing and can i add is actually really hard to get a band 6 in, only 4% of general candidates achieve this so ha to everyone that thinks its easy or whatever. A boy in my class dropped at the end of year 11 assuming he would get in the 90's and so far he's got 70s and 80s so if you are going to drop do it soon as a lot of the year 11 course is in the HSC exam. Futhermore, if you're like me and do all humanities and english, general is much more suitable as the trick is interpreting the question, not so much the maths behind it. My teacher said he finds 2 unit easier as its straight forward whereas in general it takes some time to figure out what the question is actually asking of you. So anyway, that's just another perspective on general maths, personally i love the course and find it really interesting and don't feel like I'm going to fail miserably. To you general haters it's incredibly narrow-minded to say that you can't get a good UAI with General Maths because of 'scaling' and whatnot as (I'll let you all in a lil secret here) NO ONE TRULY KNOWS HOW THE UAI IS CALCULATED! UAC is one of the great mysteries out there and everything you think you know about how it is calculated is all rumours. The way to achieve a great UAI is surprisingly enough - do well in all your subjects! (general maths included) So poo poo to you all you elite 2 unit fucks

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm... i was told economics has some 4unit maths in it.. and commerce too.. but I guess its the subjects you pick and stuff
Why would economics have MX2 maths in it? Or commerce for that matter... it wouldn't be too relevant.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
can i just ask what is the negative stigma with general maths? i started in 2unit in year 11 and survived it for about a term and honestly dropping to general was the best decision i made. I was getting 60%-ish in 2 unit and found the course really boring. General on the other hand is really refreshing and can i add is actually really hard to get a band 6 in, only 4% of general candidates achieve this so ha to everyone that thinks its easy or whatever. A boy in my class dropped at the end of year 11 assuming he would get in the 90's and so far he's got 70s and 80s so if you are going to drop do it soon as a lot of the year 11 course is in the HSC exam. Futhermore, if you're like me and do all humanities and english, general is much more suitable as the trick is interpreting the question, not so much the maths behind it. My teacher said he finds 2 unit easier as its straight forward whereas in general it takes some time to figure out what the question is actually asking of you. So anyway, that's just another perspective on general maths, personally i love the course and find it really interesting and don't feel like I'm going to fail miserably. To you general haters it's incredibly narrow-minded to say that you can't get a good UAI with General Maths because of 'scaling' and whatnot as (I'll let you all in a lil secret here) NO ONE TRULY KNOWS HOW THE UAI IS CALCULATED! UAC is one of the great mysteries out there and everything you think you know about how it is calculated is all rumours. The way to achieve a great UAI is surprisingly enough - do well in all your subjects! (general maths included) So poo poo to you all you elite 2 unit fucks
General mathematics is easy, most of the course is covered in the Year 10 5.3 syllabus. It's not hard to get a band 6 if you're good at maths; it just appears like that because the candidature is - well relatively crap at maths.

Also, most people who say you can't get a good UAI with general maths are usually high achievers. What you define as a good UAI may be different to what I deem to be a good UAI or what someone else does. But looking at trends, it's true that most people who do general maths do not get the UAIs over 90.

Lastly, most of the people who put down general people aren't 2U people, they're usually 3u and 4u people.

RuffWoof

HSC
1 unit maths- c'mon, that's only 1/10th of your UAI, you might as well do 2U

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Nah, I wasn't talking about you. I was just saying how other people put down general.
namu, stop trying to be the good guy and admit general is shit man lol Bos examiners dont like it, noone likes it. I wouldn't even feel proud with 1st in the state in it, i mean its basically saying ur the least shit maths person out there.

studentcheese

HSC
hmmm.. we did logarithms, polynomials, further trigonometry (cosec, sec and cot) and circle geometry in 5.3. It's not really like General Maths. It's more like 2U Maths.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
^^

I think general maths becomes more like 5.3 maths in year 12

not sure, maybe??

red-butterfly

HSC
dont drop down to general maths!!!
believe me just stick out for the rest of the year it might not be that bad. 70% for 2 u is alright :D there's always room for improvement ^ ^

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
hmmm.. we did logarithms, polynomials, further trigonometry (cosec, sec and cot) and circle geometry in 5.3. It's not really like General Maths. It's more like 2U Maths.
A lot of that stuff is touched on in year eleven and then reintroduced in year twelve in (I found) more depth than we covered in 5.3 maths.
Having done general, and actually finished my HSC (unlike a few people who claim to be experts on the general maths syllabus) it's overall quite similar to the year ten 5.3 course, with more to cover.

beve

Jesus
HSC
It's not hard to catch up. But stick it out; if you do bad, then it's a good choice. You don't need to spend as much time on maths, concentrating on your other subjects.

Saying that, you need to do REALLY well to meet equivalence with 2U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)