2U VS General MATHS (1 Viewer)

curry-desi-

HSC
Do u guys think its beta to get 70<% in 2unit OR drop to general?
coz i really dnt wanna do a bridgin couse later one.
& i got no idea wat i wanna do later on. so just want a far gud UAI//

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you can handle 2U (Advanced) don't drop to General. Many courses @ Uni requires some maths as prerequisite or assumed knowledge for which General would hardly count. General Maths is hardly HSC maths.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can handle 2U (Advanced) don't drop to General. Many courses @ Uni requires some maths as prerequisite or assumed knowledge. General Maths is hardly HSC maths.
yea I agree, general is hardly maths lol, but the thing is you're only in year 11, just study hard and focus, surely you could improve by the end of the year, if you don't then just drop down to general.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
^^ what do u mean?

like is it too much work catching up?

Well if you did 5.3 maths in year 10, general is pretty much the same... More common sense then maths... You wouldn't need to catch up, you should already know it if you continue 2unit.

I have a friend, he is currently doing general maths, in year 11, he found it too easy because he did 5.3 maths in year 10. he's currently getting 100% in each exam and all he does in class is pretty much sleep lol, he tried to move up to 2unit but his school wouldn't let him...

samthebear

HSC
dont do gen. its as much work as 2unit and if you've been learning advanced maths it'll be hard to get your mind to change gears and start thinking in practical terms for maths. Like i did extension maths in year 11 and i dropped to 2unit in year 12 but i cannot answer any gen questions - i look at it and think "This is so easy i dont even know the answer to it" because advanced and general are two totally different things.

Plus, gen sucks - idk about scaling but i think you'd be scaled down (think of all the not so smart people doing it pulling your aggragate year mark down)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
General Maths = General Knowledge

^_^

Continue with 2 unit, you will definitely improve if you work at it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
General Maths = General Knowledge

^_^

Continue with 2 unit, you will definitely improve if you work at it.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I dropped to general two weeks before final exams in prelim.
I managed to get 98% (came first), so no it's not a lot of catching up.
If you did 5.3 maths in year 9/10, general maths prelim is simply revision, and year twelve just builds on that knowledge a little (but, again, is mainly 5.3 work).

Brontecat

HSC
i'd try just sticking it out, and if youre still not achieving the results you want by the end of term 3 just drop down to general maths

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
DO NOT do general maths mate, just try and work a bit harder, carefully learn concepts etc. General is shit as and good for nothing, including UAI./

LordPc

HSC
DO NOT do general maths mate, just try and work a bit harder, carefully learn concepts etc. General is shit as and good for nothing, including UAI./
DO NOT drop to general. 70% in 2u isnt that bad and you are in the position where if you study just a bit more you can easily bump that up to a band 5.

general maths is not maths. unless you want to do arts or something that has no maths in it whatsoever, then general is ok. but for any other degree, stick with 2u

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Put it this way...

You can always drop to General Mathematics, but you can't move up to 2U.
Best to keep it for at least the prelim and if you do REALLY REALLY bad, then think about dropping to general.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^haha i love how you put it. I agree.

But please people, don't be too hard on General. It's a great subject for some people and it's certainly worth trying...but that should be really the last resort.

joshau-k

HSC
I was helping my friend with his general maths before the general and advanced half yearlies. I found general alot harder than advanced, there was a bunch of stuff i'de never been taught, but then again i knew how to answer all my advanced questions except the area of a parrallelogram.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I was helping my friend with his general maths before the general and advanced half yearlies. I found general alot harder than advanced, there was a bunch of stuff i'de never been taught, but then again i knew how to answer all my advanced questions except the area of a parrallelogram.
No...not harder. You just didn't know. You can get grasp of the contents easily...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)