• B Arts / B Science at USyd

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • B Arts (languages) at USyd

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elisabeth

HSC
Anyone else still stuck about what order their preferences will be?

I'm debating between:

B Arts / B Science at UNSW
B Arts / B Science at USyd
B Arts (languages) at USyd

See, I definately want to do languages, so an arts degree... but the other day I thought about adding in a science degree. I mean, I liked HSC bio and found genetics interesting. Only thing is, I'd have to do bridging courses for chem and 2u maths. Also, I know this sounds stupid, but I'm worried that there'd be a huge gap in the knowledge between high school and uni level... it just all seems so complicated and I think 'damn, I'm not smart enough to do that with all the chem+physics+bio+maths e1 people...'

Then if I do do the double degree, I'm torn between UNSW and USyd.

Does anyone else feel this way? Should I give science a try or stick to what I know I like? I don't want to have to change degrees later in uni because the BA(lang) at Sydney is 97.25 and I heard that they base your application on 50% UAI and 50% on your uni average mark... so if I tried science but sucked at it, the marks could drag me down below the course cut-off.

SweetSeasons

HSC
I never did a bridging course for chem.. and i'm pretty sure uni of nsw has like *intro to chem* or something like that...

Just ask ur self this.. can you really sit through 2/3 hours of bio or chem paying attention all the way through, when u can hardly understand the lecturer... or a 3 hour prac lesson.

I loved yr 12 bio and I loved yr 11 chem... uni bio and chem was boring and repeat of yr 11/12 without the good experiments or the mucking around...

if u love languages stick with that.. u may be able to choose a science elective in 1st sem 2 see if u want to transfer

elisabeth

HSC
Really? But I asked some woman today and she said you can do exactly the same courses in the B Arts (languages) as the B Arts side of the double degree - obviously there's a difference of a year or so though.

How hard are first year science subjects compared to the HSC courses?

SweetSeasons

HSC
I got two credits in bio (sem 1 and 2) with no effort just HSC knowledge. a pass in chem with no effort just yr 11 knowledge.
I was at uws... I dunno how they differ at other uni's

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Do Arts (languages) I say! I will be! You can do some science units out of your arts degree, and possibly transfer after a year (to Arts/Science)

Arts languages also pays 5000 dollars to you to help pay for some of the expenses related to the semester/2 semesters overseas. The 4th year of the degree gives the student the option to do honours, or continue completing senior credit units. I assume that if you were to take up the later, you could do honours in the 5th year... anyway, I really don't know how the honours thing works.

a good overview of the degree (not just the usual points)http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/arts_language_ov.shtml

detailed information about the degree requirements/ majors/ units outside arts faculty etc- http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/arts_language_req.shtml

elisabeth

HSC
So a normal arts degree wouldn't help pay for the exchange? Damn. The double degree was ahead in my mind, now it's dead even again.

I'd be deferring, so I probably wouldn't be in your classes anyway - what languages will you be studying?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
ok, so let me get this straight, we can't change our preferences after tonight?!?! since when did that come into play? i was told that we could change our preferences even after we get offers..

SweetSeasons

HSC
they need a small period of time to work out how many ppl they can fit into their course and hence what the UAI cut off is.. how can they do this when people constantly change their preferences??? Hence the need for the cut off time, you can change ur preferences after the main round offer to be considerd for a different course in the next rounds....

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
If you want to do a language and a bit of science, you might want to have a look at Liberal Studies at USyd (not available at any other uni). Basically arts/sci with 2 year compulsory language study, one semester maths and one semester communications unit. It's only 4 years so it's shorter than arts/sci.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
ok, so let me get this straight, we can't change our preferences after tonight?!?! since when did that come into play? i was told that we could change our preferences even after we get offers..
If you change them after tonight they will be considered for the Late round, changes are locked in tonight for the main round offers only, not later rounds.

Mandy101

HSC
I'm dying to do Combined Law at UNSW, but these days, a UAI of 99 doesn't guarantee you anything... a very sad fact. I've been making last minute changes to all my preferences, it's such a difficult decision to make!

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
elisabeth said:
So a normal arts degree wouldn't help pay for the exchange? Damn. The double degree was ahead in my mind, now it's dead even again.

I'd be deferring, so I probably wouldn't be in your classes anyway - what languages will you be studying?
ha ha ha, I'm deferring to! 2007 for me.

A regular Arts degree wouldn't (I think, but don't know) subsidise an exchange. But I've heard that there are scholarships that can be applied for that would pay parts of the cost.

I really don't know what languages I'll be doing. I don't have much experience with language-learning, but I'll try and get a headstart/catch up during the year off... I'm thinking maybe since I'm a beginner, that european languages would be a good starting point... though asian for job prospects... maybe french? I'm thinking of what will be easiest to learn outside of the city (north coast), ie. plenty of resources tutors and so on.

Goodluck with which ever one you've chosen!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I picked up French and Italian fast...it also helps if you do similar ones like French and Italian the grammar rules and vocab are pretty much the same as well as syntax and structure :uhhuh:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
melsc said:
I picked up French and Italian fast...it also helps if you do similar ones like French and Italian the grammar rules and vocab are pretty much the same as well as syntax and structure :uhhuh:
cool, thanks for the info. italian seems appealing, I already know a bit from compulsory year 7 language. And I find the pronunciation very easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)