2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
how many marks would you get if your creative is good but doesnt fit into the stimulus well? just asking incase.
You'd still be fine - markers don't crucify your essay if they can't see the stimulus related. But I don't see someone getting into the 14/15 range - however, in saying that, I'm sure you can get up to 13 for a killer creative.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
You'd still be fine - markers don't crucify your essay if they can't see the stimulus related. But I don't see someone getting into the 14/15 range - however, in saying that, I'm sure you can get up to 13 for a killer creative.
Looking at the marking criteria, anything about a 6 has the "utilises stimulus as a focus" or whatever dot point, so you can't really get much higher than that, unless you wrote one hell of a creative.

And our school totally rekt you if you didn't use the stimulus enough, so idk :p

mrstripedshades

HSC
idk i honestly think the stimulus' for CSSA were pretty easy to incorporate and I could incorporate like at least 2 of them. So I pretty much just put an obvious line at the end so it seemed like I made a clear choice.

"I wondered and now I knew"or something like that.

I got a mediocre mark but it was much better than my half yearly which was just pathetic (got a 12 in trials for creative, my worst mark and one that kind of dragged me down lmao). I think i lost at least a mark due to phrasing in parts & spelling (ayy lmao) though. and I cut out like a paragraph or two.

I wasn't that happy with my creative honestly because I think the idea is kind of pointless/lame as hell and its basically about a nosy guy. But my teachers liked it and said if I use good language especially in the one I emailed its fine.

I had other ideas actually to change it but just couldnt be arsed during the holidays to actually go ahead and write down a brand new creative, and was afraid of cliche (would most likely be self discovery/rediscovery).

Also its just ridiculous how my work rate increases so much closer to the exam lmao (at least 100% for english). Done more work today in terms of editing then I did in the entire lead up.

and btw is CSSA meant to be a good indicator of the HSC in terms of guessing what will be tested or no?

meDAawesome

HSC
cr i es ;-;;; completely fked if they specify hollow men or magi ._. Keep on forgetting my quotes for them ripppp
lol i dont think anyone in the state doing eliot used magi, so i think we'd all be fucked if they specified that

ml125

HSC
Why'd they include it on the book list though that's what I was wondering
To waste your money :')))

Never ended up using mine for annotations, the pages were too small and we got booklets for poetry anyway. Just bought all of mine for personal reading lol.

and btw is CSSA meant to be a good indicator of the HSC in terms of guessing what will be tested or no?
Should be, to some extent. And yeah same actually, found the exam to be pretty good :D

lol i dont think anyone in the state doing eliot used magi, so i think we'd all be fucked if they specified that
P much x_x oh well rip it feels so disconnected from the other poems - probably since he's changed his outlook on everything but I wouldn't know how to relate it back to everything else bc ew.

mrstripedshades

HSC
To waste your money :')))

Never ended up using mine for annotations, the pages were too small and we got booklets for poetry anyway. Just bought all of mine for personal reading lol.

Should be, to some extent. And yeah same actually, found the exam to be pretty good :D

P much x_x oh well rip it feels so disconnected from the other poems - probably since he's changed his outlook on everything but I wouldn't know how to relate it back to everything else bc ew.
yea the only doubts i have that they did speeches as open, and from the last few years it seems they specify one every 2nd year.

just really hoping A) if they specify its keating or sadat (but thats really unlikely imo so im not holding onto that hope. its more chance they leave it open) and B) no 2 related texts pls or RIP to me.

and is anyone aiming for a 2/1 split in terms of paragraphs? I have a 2/1 paragraph split for Mod C and Discovery. It got pretty good marks so far but idk

Bestintheworld

HSC
fkk I still have 2 essays to memorise!!! possible in the next few days? im pree shit at memorising :p

meDAawesome

HSC
You can relate it to Hollow as they both talk about spirituality and its after Eliots conversion to Anglicanism

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Finished my pseudo-final draft for my creative, tomorrow (...today...) I'll do the rest of paper 1 practice, then Tuesday will be paper 2 and then wednesday is music and paper 1 roteeeee

mrstripedshades

HSC
For Module B (and specifically speeches)

do you have to use the term textual integrity directly? some sample essays I've seen don't, wasn't really told to by my teachers either but now realise I may need to. I do address textual integrity throughout my essay though just that term is not directly used.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

do you have to use the term textual integrity directly? some sample essays I've seen don't, wasn't really told to by my teachers either but now realise I may need to. I do address textual integrity throughout my essay though just that term is not directly used.
Use it if it's appropriate.

qwert73

HSC
You don't have to unless the question lends itself to that. you could tack it on and the end of a paragraph, it works for all except deane(but he wont be specified this year luckily) and also brooks to an extent, but you can just talk about how literature and language is timeless/human condition

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

As long as you reference the idea of textual integrity in some way or another. You don't need to directly say "textual integrity".

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Since my creatives have been notoriously bad throughout the year, what marking criteria do/did you set yourself to indicate that it's a good creative?

Is it that it can fit 1 or 2, or most of the syllabus?
It's easily adaptable?

I'm deciding whether to prep my creative and create a story (generally, a person who grows up in a farm moves to city), or just kind of mentally brainstorm what I could write about it, then react accordingly to the stimulus, relying on pulling ideas out of a hat.

Last edited:

ml125

HSC
Since my creatives have been notoriously bad throughout the year, what marking criteria do/did you set yourself to indicate that it's a good creative?

Is it that it can fit 1 or 2, or most of the syllabus?
It's easily adaptable?

I'm deciding whether to prep my creative and create a story (generally, a person who grows up in a farm moves to city), or just kind of mentally brainstorm what I could write about it, then react accordingly to the stimulus, relying on pulling ideas out of a hat.
Those two were the main criteria I tried to follow when writing my creative - like, before I started writing, I went through every point in the rubric to make sure I would be able to address it if it were to come up. The only part of the rubric I didn't really address in detail was cultural/historical contexts but I doubt that would really be asked lol. Rip if it does get asked tho just gonna bs my way through it :')

Would only recommend the latter if you're confident you'd be able to pull it off in the exam. At least, I'd suggest having a brief outline of what you might write so you're no completely lost on the day.

MikeLloyd

HSC
Out of curiosity, how many of you wish you could study a continual assessment system (best 3.2 semesters, each semester you are given assignments and exams and you work over the course of 2 years to improve your grades) or instead enjoy the HSC?

I'm an ex-sydney student who took my prelims in sydney, and transferred to Canberra to get higher marks because I thought constant homework was better than one exam that would determine my ATAR. Curious on the inputs of current HSC students.

Also best of luck NSW HSC students from your ACT peers and meshing cohort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)